1943 Willys Jeep

6,701 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got my granddads old 1943 Willys Jeep running. He gave it to me before he passed away about 15 years ago. My mom actually drove it to high school as her daily driver in the 60's. I had it running back in 2004 (before wife and kids) and was able to get it cranked again. Back then I added the seats, brakes, head lights, and a horn. It's amazing how well made these things are. It's been sitting in a warehouse since 2004 without being cranked. All I needed to do was charge the battery, change battery cables, new oil, and gas. My next goals are to take the roll cage off, add tail lights, and seat belts.

aTm papi
RynoAg
AG
Badass!
The Fife
Nice!

Maybe also an alignment? Things up front might be a little off.
matthewj042
The Wonderer
AG
The Fife said:

Nice!

Maybe also an alignment? Things up front might be a little off.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yep, it looks like I need an alignment. This will be a process. I don't have the disposable income I did back before I got married and had kids. However we have a guy at our machine shop who used to be a mechanic in Mexico. He's really handy with a wrench. I think that'll come in handy.
Corps_Ag12
Aggietaco
AG
Is that a square tube roll cage?
Dr. Nefario
easttexasaggie04 said:

Yep, it looks like I need an alignment. This will be a process. I don't have the disposable income I did back before I got married and had kids. However we have a guy at our machine shop who used to be a mechanic in Mexico. He's really handy with a wrench. I think that'll come in handy.

Did he show up for work today?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Aggietaco said:

Is that a square tube roll cage?

Looks like an "aftermarket accessory"
aTm2004
AG
aTm2004 likes
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yep. I work at a machine shop so we used what we had. I think the roll cage is coming off today actually. RIP.
moore42
AG
Awesome machine. I started driving our family's 45 Willys MB when I was 10. That thing took a beating and still ran strong the day I sold it about 10 years ago.
Ag03 CQE
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Yep. I work at a machine shop so we used what we had. I think the roll cage is coming off today actually. RIP.

Perhaps CUT would be a better option.
moore42
AG
Have you looked into the history of the vehicle? Being a '43, I am sure it saw service time in WWII.

When I sold ours to a collector, they did some research and the history behind the vehicle was pretty cool
Fairview
AG
Very cool!
The Fife
moore42 said:

Have you looked into the history of the vehicle? Being a '43, I am sure it saw service time in WWII.

When I sold ours to a collector, they did some research and the history behind the vehicle was pretty cool
That's what I was thinking. Did they bother to ship them back over here or just toss the keys at anyone who wanted one?
easttexasaggie04
AG
Cool idea. Where would I begin?
moore42
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Cool idea. Where would I begin?
G503 forums have some guys that can look up history based on VIN/Tags. I would start there.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm trying to decide what I want to do next. Everything costs money, which isn't plentiful right now....

1. upgrade or tune the brakes
2. fix or replace fuel gauge
3. get spare tire for back
4. add tail lights
ac04
think i would prioritize brakes. stopping is almost as important as going.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I took the Willys out for a good ride around on some land yesterday. For the most part it handled nicely. The brakes need some work (quite a bit actually). But it handled whatever I threw at it like a champ. It's like driving a mini tank around.

I noticed this metal plate on the glove box that was painted over probably 30 years ago. We got some paint thinner and removed the paint. It turns out the Willys is a 1942 (second year Jeep was ever made) instead of a 1943 like my granddad always told me.

I like driving it with the windshield down for some A/C...
moore42
AG
Cool pics! Saw this bad boy on the frwy yesterday and thought of your build.

TexasHealthNut
This is fantastic!!! Have fun.
easttexasaggie04
AG
That Willys is in awesome condition. I doubt mine will ever look that good but I'm going to do my best a little at a time. I'd love to one day take it to local car shows and drive around my daughters in little parades.
zip04
AG
Awesome. Good luck on the restoration. Even if it has to be done slowly, that would be a great project.
ac04
awesome jeep. i need a jeep brah/patton photoshop.
Furlock Bones
easttexasaggie04
AG
It's obviously way past time to replace the shocks. When you put your weight on the back of Jeep it pretty much stays there for a few seconds then slowly rises. I found these online and they are relatively inexpensive. Do yall think I could getaway with just replacing the shocks without replacing the leaf springs also? I'd prefer to do that but was wondering what yall thought.
The Wonderer
AG
Should be fine to just do the shocks.
ac04
those are real cheap
easttexasaggie04
AG
Jeep update. I'm thankful we have a mechanic on staff here at our machine shop. We are a little slow in his department so he's been needing something to keep him busy.

1. Fixed oil leak in engine. Apparently a gasket was worn and needed to be replaced.
2. Found that the front differential was full of water. Had to order a new bearing and a universal joint online for it. It was broken. Not sure how much further it could have driven before it would have seized up. However the rear one was fine. Cleaned it out and changed the differential oil anyways.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Quite a bit has been done to the Willys since my last post.

- New shocks
- Replaced flywheel
- Replaced clutch
- spark plugs

Removed engine and cleaned it up and painted it...

Next up is to sand down the body, apply bondo to the many holes, and paint the entire thing OD green. Then get tail lights.

I'm finding replacement parts here, its a great source... https://www.kaiserwillys.com/
EskimoJoe
Bondo to fill body holes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.