Broken Hyundai...2 yrs/35K Kms of Trouble Free Service

3,303 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Grand Santa Fe, which has been dead solid reliable since new, broke yesterday.

On the way home from work, I noticed the rear wheels louder than normal, like a wheel out of balance or bad bearing. When I came to a stop, it sounded like stuck drum brakes or something holding the rear wheels. I got out to check for a flat tire or cardboard etc caught under the car, found nothing.

The car wouldn't creep forward in traffic unless I gave it throttle, so I knew something was wrong.

This morning I took it in to the import Hyundai dealer and the service writer immediately asked me if I wanted a 35K KM service. I told her the problem , then she tried to sell me a brake job and wheel balance.

Finally the mechanic came out and we walk out to the car, where its started puking diff fluid onto the ground. He asks me to drive it, and we get in, I back up, and he says "release the parking brake"...its off already. Show him the car doesn't creep forward, then he says to turn the wheel all the way to the lock and try to drive. The rear wheels are completely locked. I accelerate and the rear wheels skid along as we drive in a circle.

They keep the car, and called me about an hour ago, the AWD Viscous Coupling has apparently failed, and there's not one in China since this car is made in Korea. So it will be "at least a week" before the part gets in.

Looks this this apparently...

I picked up the car Feb 2015. Its only let me down one other time, when the fuel gelled when it was 9 degrees outside.

Been really satisfied with the car otherwise.
Dill-Ag13
AG
That sucks. Tacked-on FWD-based AWD systems are never worth the trouble.
The Fife
Since it's China I have to ask, how reliable is the workmanship on their warranty service over there?
KY AG
AG
Hope it gets fixed soon. And not with "Hyunori" parts.
Complete Idiot
That's a pretty serious failure.

AWD is done many different ways, and always sounds attractive (especially to those that get snow), but is another thing that can break. Who does it best, Subaru?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Fife said:

Since it's China I have to ask, how reliable is the workmanship on their warranty service over there?
Its funny, the Import Hyundai dealer is every bit as nice as the BMW or Mercedes dealers here.

The shop floor is very clean, techs are generally very well dressed and wear gloves and use proper tools to do the work. They have computers on their workbenches with parts explosion diagrams etc.

Nice waiting area with TV, massaging chairs, soft drinks, ice cream, snacks, wifi etc. Large pane glass overlooking the workshop.

Cars all get hand washed and tires shined after service.

I haven't had any huge complaints about their workmanship. When they installed my OEM LED DRLs, they didnt use a ring terminal on the battery. That was a little annoying.

The Beijing Hyundai Dealers on the other hand, suck. (These are for all the locally Chinese made Hyundais).

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Vs?
Flaith
AG
Only the manual transmission Subarus use a viscous coupling in the center diff.

The auto and CVT models use a electronically controlled multiplate clutch in the transaxle.

If you're curious to learn about different AWD/4WD systems, this wiki is fooking awesome.

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/hyundai/
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Flaith said:

Only the manual transmission Subarus use a viscous coupling in the center diff.

The auto and CVT models use a electronically controlled multiplate clutch in the transaxle.

If you're curious to learn about different AWD/4WD systems, this wiki is fooking awesome.

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/subaru/

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/hyundai/
Yup. Good site.

The Magna Dynamax system (which is what my car is) uses an Electro Hydraulic Coupler/Clutch setup mounted at the rear diff.
The Fife
1agswitchin4lanes said:

The Fife said:

Its funny, the Import Hyundai dealer is every bit as nice as the BMW or Mercedes dealers here.

The shop floor is very clean, techs are generally very well dressed and wear gloves and use proper tools to do the work. They have computers on their workbenches with parts explosion diagrams etc.

Nice waiting area with TV, massaging chairs, soft drinks, ice cream, snacks, wifi etc. Large pane glass overlooking the workshop.

Cars all get hand washed and tires shined after service.

I haven't had any huge complaints about their workmanship. When they installed my OEM LED DRLs, they didnt use a ring terminal on the battery. That was a little annoying.

The Beijing Hyundai Dealers on the other hand, suck. (These are for all the locally Chinese made Hyundais).

That's good to hear. I figured it could range from that, to the dealer equivalent of an Ali Express knockoff.
Motot
AG
Fuel gelled? Is this a diesel? Or gas?

Asking and curious because the fiance's 08 optima ran out of gas in January when it was ~15F here in Austin with 1/4 tank showing. No other issues like that have ever happened with it. Wondering if the cold weather may have played a part. Would say filter, but that is supposed to be lifetime and is an integral unit with the pump/level reader.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. You saying that just made me curious.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
sbtxag13 said:

Fuel gelled? Is this a diesel? Or gas?

Asking and curious because the fiance's 08 optima ran out of gas in January when it was ~15F here in Austin with 1/4 tank showing. No other issues like that have ever happened with it. Wondering if the cold weather may have played a part. Would say filter, but that is supposed to be lifetime and is an integral unit with the pump/level reader.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. You saying that just made me curious.
Its a 2.2L Common Rail, Direct Injected Turbodiesel.

Uses Bosch's setup with the Piezo Injectors and a VGT .

Its 200hp/340ft-lbs stock. The Box I have on it bumps it a little more...
Silvy
AG
Quote:

So it will be "at least a week" before the part gets in.

Reminded me of
KY AG
AG
Love that movie.
Dill-Ag13
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

Vs?

Snow tires
Mr. Dubi
You got two years? I got two days with my hybrid cumins turbo diesel-ecoboost F-150

MouthBQ98
AG
VW and Subaru make really good AWD systems.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Got her back yesterday.....

All is well again...

dubi
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
third coast.. said:

what happened?

In OP

Quote:

AWD Viscous Coupling
MrJonMan
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

This morning I took it in to the import Hyundai dealer and the service writer immediately asked me if I wanted a 35K KM service. I told her the problem , then she tried to sell me a brake job and wheel balance.

Am I the only one that was imagining you arguing with the lady in Chinese with a very angry tone?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
MrJonMan said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Am I the only one that was imagining you arguing with the lady in Chinese with a very angry tone?
Our company driver showed up and told her off and then walked outside and pointed to the puddle of fluid dripping from the rear axle housing.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.