Insert LS Here.

45,566 Views | 299 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CATAGBQ04
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Back in the game. Yee Yee.
Silvy
AG
Make America fast again
barney94
AG
C10...yes.
Centerpole90
AG
I haven't taken too many pictures to satisfy Rule 1 but I have this one from the shakedown cruise CPjr took it one the other evening. He and I put some thought into where we want to go and what we expect out of this project. He only has 2 more years of HS after this year - so we didn't want to start off with something that would be a long drawn out affair where it spent most of that time at someone's body shop. Once we start wrenching later this spring I'd like it to move along quickly to get to the hoonage.

We're starting with an honest, solid, original '68 C10; factory short/wide. I know it won't be that popular on this board but the plan for now is to leave the exterior in this condition with a few tweaks here or there. There are no dents bigger than a door ding (very few of those) and the stainless trim almost completely ding free. I know the 'shop' or 'farm' truck monikers are way overused to justify rust buckets - this ins't a rust bucket. Interior soft parts will be replaced and freshened up so Mrs CP will agree to ride. A buddy has offered up an '83 C10 for any parts: 5x5 hubs, axle, and of course disc brakes we need. 4 window 15" steelies w/ poverty caps - engage. The 250ci 6 & 3 on the tree... well....

The D&D stamped bumper is from a dealer in Killeen. I can't read the name of the dealership bc it's covered with a faded bumper sticker I hate to molest. I'm going to post a CL ad in Corpus area attempting to find a similar vintage bumper stamped Jennings Chevrolet, Robstown, Texas - my late uncle's dealership. This C10 is an exact copy (except the wheelbase) of a 68 someone traded in to him during the early 80's. He sent the truck to the family farm as a beater - which I obliged many times through HS.

Until then.... #goals....

https://instagr.am/p/BP1Ce4dBanQ

https://instagr.am/p/BBGi5_oq8Ov

The Fife
Same rear bumper I have, but it's stamped with a dealer in Atlanta, TX.
barney94
AG
Man I like it. I'm not a patina guy but yours (and the one on the trailer) look really good. Can't wait for the progress pics.
Centerpole90
AG
barney94 said:

Man I like it. I'm not a patina guy
Thanks. I'm looking forward to working on it, and enjoying it along the way. I know what you mean about the patina - it's one of those things that can be done right in a few cases in wrong in so many others. If it doesn't turn out like I hope it's just a paint job away from a helluva nice truck. I will admit that I get the warm and fuzzies when I open the hood and see those grease pencil marks on the firewall though. I've been through a lot of project trucks - but this is the first I've had that was wearing factory paint.
Terk
AG
Soooooooooooooooooooo jealous!
agwrangler2001
AG
Man I have the itch for an old Chevy truck.....This isn't helping.

I'm honed in on either mid to late '50s or early to mid '60s. I like the Apaches a lot too.
Centerpole90
AG
Long drive today. Collecting knowledge.

locogringo
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I JUST drove by this exact truck and thought to myself "that would be a fun truck to have, love that body style." And then I come here and you bought it's twin! Unfortunately I think the one near me is long bed, sits too far off the road to tell for sure.

I think this board will appreciate it, I sure as hell do.

keep us posted.
Centerpole90
AG
Lone Star Throwdown this weekend and all I have is work and a $250 box o parts from LMC Truck I don't have time to install.

Instagram feed is blowing up w all the cool C10s headed to Texas.
Silvy
AG
Mothafck yo fashion I could win a beauty pageant.
Centerpole90
AG
/posted from a bar that looked like a container yard.
aggieforester05
AG
Looks like a good candidate for a LSX 427 or LSX 454.
Centerpole90
AG
Today's the day. Nothing like sending teaser pics to CPjr @ school of our new mill.

kmac30
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BSE9kjeDbFa
barney94
AG
Yes indeed...nice motor
agwrangler2001
AG
Awesome! Will be watching this closely!
lb3
AG
GTBullitt68
AG
Great job! Can't wait to see the final product.
AgEng06
AG
Awesome. That pic of the two of you above is priceless.
Centerpole90
AG
That's it. No turning back now. I need to find a 4L60E and a set of Dirty Dingo slider mounts so the engine can be trial fit after teardown. I'm going to pick up an '84 donor truck from a buddy tomorrow that I'm getting the front crossmember and rear axle from. That will get me to the 5x5 wheel pattern so I don't have to spend all eternity looking for the 6 hole 8" Blazer wheels.

I bought a set of '67 chrome poverty caps today on 67-72 forum. The 67 and 68 chrome are unique to their year models and are pretty much made of unobtanium. The 68's continue to elude me so when set of 67 driver quality showed up for next to cheap I jumped on them. If I ever find the 68's I won't have any trouble selling these. Winning.

ETA, I've spent most of my adult life restoring or fiddling with some sort of old stuff. Old trucks, old cars, lots of old tractors. This truck started life around Gatesville and ended up in San Angelo/Colorado City. I've seldom worked on a project that is this easy to wrench on... I hesitate to even say 'rusty bolts' jump right off since any 'rust' is really just surface discoloration. I'm liking it so far.
hatchback
AG
You've got a new follower on the Instagram! Can't wait to follow this great project!
Centerpole90
AG
When we started this I told CPjr that we should start an 'anon' account for the truck - it seems like the popular thing to do. I've been on IG for 2-3 years under my handle and have about 110 followers. The truck, with less than 3 pics at the time, garnered 60 followers in 2 weeks. The C10 community is pretty IG savvy; they buy, sell, swap, and let the information flow on there.

https://instagr.am/p/BSM3DAvDZi6
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Where ya farm? Brazos Bottom??
If you grow cotton, I'm sure you support my company!
Following this project. I did a similar build with my dad in high school on a1966 CJ5. Great father son project
Centerpole90
AG
RGV.
hatchback
AG
And I'm just a city-boy architect, so thanks for the follow.
Centerpole90
AG
I see the Red Baron picked up some followers and I appreciate the interest. If I can deduce it's a TA follower I'll reciprocate from CP90; the truck acct is all C-10 stuff.
AgKSig
FOLLOWER #77
Towns03
AG
Center, where'd you source your 5.3l? I've got a Defender that needs more HP
Centerpole90
AG
http://a-zautoparts.com in OK City.

I don't claim that they are anything special or that I got the world's best deal - but I wore out CL and any local sources I had with no results. Here on the border everything is just worn out junk or at least masquerading as won out junk.

I was perusing evilBay one night and saw a fair deal on an LQ9 takeout these guys had for sale so the next morning I called them. The sales rep was helpful and seemed interested in what I was doing. Somewhere along the way he remarked about a really sweet 04 rollover that had come in with a 5.3. For the difference in price of the 'dropout' 5.3 & the LQ9 I called about originally - I could buy a Boyd aluminum rear mounted tank (w/ EFI pump and rollover vent) AND an aluminum R&D LS radiator for my swap. So I opted for the 5.3 and bought direct.

I haven't run the engine yet, but it appears to be everything he promised. Up to this post - I'm happy.
magnumtmp
AG
CP, are you using the stock controller or something aftermarket?

Love the truck. I have a '67 with a '69 front clip in the pasture right now. Not near as good shape as yours, but I got it for cheap! Mine has the step side, so if anyone hears about a fleet side bed, let me know! Mine too will get an LS/6L80
magnumtmp
AG
Guess I need to joini instagram......sigh....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.