Talk me out of a Ram 2500

16,060 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TxAg20
TxAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
TxAg20,

I've had my eye on the new '14 and '15 rams, though my infrequent trailer towing has my practical side questioning the diesel.

Would you mind sharing your observations on your new 6.4 trucks? How does their fuel consumption compare to the diesels they replaced? Do you run premium octane? Why did you switch from diesel?

Thanks

I've only driven the 6.4 trucks a day or two here and there and the dash readout showed 12-14 mpg with mixed city and highway. I believe the guys that drive them just use regular unleaded. The diesels they replaced were not any more reliable than our other gasoline trucks and they cost about 3x to maintain and repair. A couple of the diesels were idled long and often which was hard on modern emissions equipment. None of them were used for towing, but they do carry wellhead sections and the occasional pallet of mud which is why I like the 3/4 ton. No real reason for the 6.4 gas over the 5.7 except the dealer I've been working with stocks mostly 6.4 in their 3/4 ton trucks. The guys driving the gas trucks shouldn't need to tow anything for work. I haven't towed anything with the 6.4, so I can't say how they do. I'd assume they tow similar to my F150 6.2L gas though.

I drove 5 diesel pick-ups over 6 years, currently an F150, and I'm buying a diesel for my next truck. About 25% of my miles are towing a bumper pull enclosed dirt bike trailer. The trailer weight is well within the towing capacity of the F150, but it does catch a lot of wind. My F150 can pull it just fine at interstate speeds, but it does a lot of shifting and is just a little concerning when it kicks down 2-3 gears to maintain speed up a hill. The mileage also sucks while towing with the F150 (6-8 mpg). Diesels just seem to pull effortlessly and with a light dirt bike trailer, mileage doesn't suffer as much.
AgToadie
Thanks for the response TxAg20.

Good to hear some reasonable reports (even if from the dash display) on mileage. Seems like on the truck forums people either report their 6.4 getting around 8mpg or 18mpg, neither of which seem right for light load driving.

I'm drawn to the diesel for the power as you described but have to occasionally make a lot of short drive or long idle time trips and am concerned about the emission systems on the current crop of diesels.

PFG
AG
Any update? Did you buy a Ram 2500?
TxAg20
AG
Delivered yesterday:
[url=http://s99.photobucket.com/user/kwreeves/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1521_zps9ca11cde.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s99.photobucket.com/user/kwreeves/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1520_zps06be8640.jpg.html][/url]

Already ordered new suspension system which will raise the front 2.5-3" and the back ~1". Should have it on in a couple of weeks.
GigemCO2008
AG
Nice Truck Man! Just Rip all the emissions out
ILikeTacos
AG
Is it a 4x4?
TxAg20
AG
quote:
Is it a 4x4?
Yes
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
quote:
Is it a 4x4?
Yes
Duh, I asked before I looked at the interior pic.

The Mega Cabs have really grown on me. Can't wait to see it with the suspension and tires, give me an idea of what to do with mine.

EDIT: The laramie's have push button start now??? Those sonsuvbeeches!
TxAg20
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Is it a 4x4?
Yes

The Mega Cabs have really grown on me. Can't wait to see it with the suspension and tires, give me an idea of what to do with mine.

The wheel/tire combo and rake makes the front end look lower like a 2wd.

Push button start, HID headlights, auto high beams, and auto wipers. It's like a luxury car with a bed and horrible suspension.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Is it a 4x4?
Yes

The wheel/tire combo and rake makes the front end look lower like a 2wd.

Push button start, HID headlights, auto high beams, and auto wipers. It's like a luxury car with a bed and horrible suspension.
My 2014 Laramie doesn't have push button start, HID's or Auto Wipers I don't believe. I do have the Auto high beams and I hate them with a passion.

I do have ass chillers though and they worked perfect Sunday driving across Texas.
PFG
AG
Nice! Megacab isn't my thing, but I like the truck. Well done.
TxAg20
AG
I haven't used the auto high beams on the Ram yet. My wife's old Range Rover had them and they worked great. They would switch to low beams almost exactly when I typically would and switch back to high beams 2 milliseconds after oncoming traffic past. My only complaint is they would switch off if there was to much glare from a road sign like the big exit signs on I-10.
PFG
AG
Why the hate for the suspension? I've not driven a ram 2500...stiff?

Couple quick google searches say super high psi on the tires is a contributor. Reduce, and go to your dealer to have tpms warning levels reset.
ILikeTacos
AG
quote:
Why the hate for the suspension? I've not driven a ram 2500...stiff?

Couple quick google searches say super high psi on the tires is a contributor. Reduce, and go to your dealer to have tpms warning levels reset.
The tires are the main contributor for the rough ride, the default tire pressure on the 2500 is 80 PSI and if you fall below ~65 the TPMS light comes on. But for towing I prefer the higher psi.

I am sure for him the suspension is for the looks. These trucks look REAL right on 37's. like REAL right.
TxAg20
AG
It rides like a 3/4 ton, which it should. My biggest dislike is the lower front end. If I carried 2,000# in the bed, like it's designed to do, it would probably be level. The most weight I'll ever carry in the bed is a couple of dirt bikes, so I'll just bring the front end up to match the rear. As a byproduct, larger tires will fit, which I think make the vehicle look better, so I'll replace the tires as well.
OE_Ag11
AG
What suspension did you end up going with?
TxAg20
AG
I ordered the Carli Back Country 2.0 system. I'm planning on keeping the stock wheels but haven't decided on 35 or 37" tires. I like the look of 37s, but I want to make sure they won't rub.

Here's an identical truck to mine with 37" tires:
Silvy
AG
Should've slammed it
PFG
AG
18 or 20 inch wheels on the truck?
TxAg20
AG
20".
TxAg20
AG
quote:
Should've slammed it

I saw a new, slammed Z71 4x4 the other day. I couldn't get a picture, but I figured you'd get along with the guy.
aggieforester05
AG
What happened to the Roushcharged F-150?
TxAg20
AG
quote:
What happened to the Roushcharged F-150?

I traded it in.

Here it is on their website. No mention of the supercharger in the ad.
http://www.blakeclyde.com/used/Ford/2013-Ford-F-150-Clyde-TX-f8d9d6930a0e0ae706656535216fd9de.htm
TxLawDawg
AG
It looks better with a Ranch Hand.

SCHTICK00
AG
I have 35's on the same truck with the same 20" rims and 2.5" spacers and they rub terribly. The ride is awful compared to my 07 with 18"rims and all terrains. Only thing I hate about this truck is the ride.
OE_Ag11
AG
quote:
I ordered the Carli Back Country 2.0 system. I'm planning on keeping the stock wheels but haven't decided on 35 or 37" tires. I like the look of 37s, but I want to make sure they won't rub.

Here's an identical truck to mine with 37" tires:

You will really like the Carli system. I have been super happy with mine. I like to see more people running their stuff, they make some really nice products. If they tell you it will rub it will. They have been really straight forward with me. But I have 37in Toyos on mine and the truck runs really nice. I have a ford, ended up going with 20in wheels because of what's available and brakes. So the rode is a little rougher than if they were 18s but with the 20s the sidewalls are still pretty stiff which is nice for faster cornering on good grip surfaces. Just as a thought.
PFG
AG
quote:
The ride is awful compared to my 07 with 18"rims and all terrains.

How was the factory ride before spacers and bigger tires? I always wonder what happens when people lift for looks, then don't like the ride.
SCHTICK00
AG
Only lifted to clear the tires I need for work. You would think spacers would have no impact on ride, but they do. If say the largest contributor is the tires. I'm running 296-65-20 nitto MTs. Next set will be 305-55-20 ATs. Power loss with the 35s is also considerable.
AGTX
AG
I should have asked for your advice on cars, instead of private schools last week--we could have cut out the middle man.
TxAg20
AG
Ha! Creative username.
TxAg20
AG
I installed the Carli kit over a couple of days. Took me about 15 hours by myself. Could probably do it in 11 hours next time by myself. 8-9 hours if I had a spring compressor. 7-8 hours with a full set of instructions and parts.

I was told by CJC Offroad, who appears to install quite a few Carli kits, that 37x12.50 tires would fit but would need less backspacing to keep from rubbing on the radius arms. 35x12.50 would fit with no rubbing. I couldn't find any aftermarket wheels I really liked, and didn't want to go the spacer route, so I figured I would go with 35x12.50 tires. I narrowed my choices down to a few models of 35x12.50 tires, but they all require at least an 8.5" or 9" wheel width. The stockers are 8" and Discount won't mount a tire for me if the wheel isn't wide enough. Discount ended up selling me 295/65R20 Nitto Terra Grappler M/Ts which comes to 35.1"x11.6". I'm happy with the size and there is no rubbing.

I'm not a photographer:
[url=http://s99.photobucket.com/user/kwreeves/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1572_zpsf9fc36b8.jpg.html][/url]

[url=http://s99.photobucket.com/user/kwreeves/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1570_zpsd0ef10e5.jpg.html][/url]
The Fife
What's with the bump behind the rear doors? Is that supposed to be where you're able to hide things?
PFG
AG
Fife- this is the Ram MegaCab. Extra large back seat.

How is the ride with the Carli system vs factory ride? Looks good with the factory 20's. Looking forward to more pictures of the lift, and an update on the pick-up. Nicest interior of all HD trucks IMO. Interested to hear more about ride quality post-lift.
will.mcg
AG
Back seats actually recline. Also room for small baggage.
TxAg20
AG
quote:
Fife- this is the Ram MegaCab. Extra large back seat.

How is the ride with the Carli system vs factory ride? Looks good with the factory 20's. Looking forward to more pictures of the lift, and an update on the pick-up. Nicest interior of all HD trucks IMO. Interested to hear more about ride quality post-lift.

Normal driving like expansion joints, asphalt cracks, etc., it's comparable to factory suspension. Bigger stuff like dips and speed bumps, the ride is noticeably better. I now tend to not brake for dips because the suspension soaks it up so well. I might even say they're smoother the faster I hit them.

The Carli kit retains the factory sway bars, but drops the mounts in the front and extends the links in the back. No noticeable difference in body lean in turns even with the higher ride height. This is all from normal asphalt driving. I didn't do any lease road drifting before the lift and probably won't in the future, so it's hard to make a comparison putting either suspension through it's full range.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.