Looking at getting a Jeep......

13,495 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Schall 02
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, heckle away.

I want to buy a jeep, always wanted one. Now I can't afford to trick it out or take it off-roading ie breaking things. I really just want a jeep I can cruise around in on the weekends.

So with that out of the way, I've looked at classics and at newer models. I have either a CJ-5 or a YJ in mind.

What do y'all think?

Oh and.....

[This message has been edited by Corps_Ag12 (edited 10/7/2013 8:57p).]
Street Fighter
AG
CJ7

Corps_Ag12
AG
Why CJ-7 over a CJ-5?

I've noticed there's more of an aftermarket for the 7, and the 5 is not tall people friendly.

Other than that I'm oblivious to the more subtle differences.
AG
76 and up cj5 and 7 have the same seat brackets and floor stamping. The difference is the 10" well behind the drivers seat. The seat is in the same place relative to the dashboard.

They made the 7 for 3 more years after they stopped the 5, so thats one reason why its got more aftermarket support. The YJ and even the TJ to some extent are basically the same vehicle as a CJ7 with modern vehicle evolution thrown in, so many aftermarket parts are interchangable there also.

[This message has been edited by robertf03 (edited 10/7/2013 9:26p).]
Corps_Ag12
AG
So basically it sucks if you are in the back?
AG
not too bad, because on a 5 the rear seat butts up against the tub, on a CJ7/YJ/TJ there is about 18" of trunk space. There isn't a foot well like on the 93" wheelbase Jeeps so your knees are up, probably not the safest seating posture.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Hmmm makes me think about how much I care about passengers in the back. Right now the only one who'd be driving it is me. Doubt if I'd have passengers very often, especially more than 1.

Im going to test drive both the CJ-5/7 and the YJ and I'll go from there. The square headlights have grown on me and I find them unique. I am thinking ill be too big for a CJ-5 to be comfy though. I drove a TJ last weekend and that felt kinda cramped but I'm used to my Silverado.
Gigemags05
AG
The quickest way to tell the difference between a 5 and 7 is to look at the door cutouts.

A CJ5 will have a sloping cutout, almost like a rollercoaster.

A CJ7 has a normal U shaped cutout.

Personally, I think the extra length makes a CJ7 look a little better. It can also have an automatic transmission if you want one. But I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a 5 just for those subtle differences.
Gigemags05
AG
also, get ready to spend a lot of $$$ and time. Its a fun vehicle to own, but anytime you are working with a 30+ yr old vehicle, things are going to go wrong/need replacing.

I bought mine a little over a year ago, not knowing a single thing about vehicles. I mean NOTHING.

Since then, by reading and youtube, I have:

Replaced Body mounts
fixed the caster angle for steering
built a spare tire swing
completely rebuilt a 1992 4.0 engine
swapped out the old 4.2 for the rebuilt 4.0
installed new complete wiring harness
replaced ignition module
rewired horn
replaced radiator
replaced muffler
rewired electric fans
wired stereo
replaced fuel pump with in line external pump

and there is a ton of other things yet to do.

Its a whole lot of fun, and I've learned a lot. But it can be frustrating and will make you learn patience.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Thanks for the info Gigemags, mind if I ask what you drive?

And what is considered a good deal on a classic Jeep? They seem to be all over the place in price and varying condition. I have an idea of the YJ pricing though.
Gigemags05
AG
I drive a 1980 CJ7.

As far as what's a good deal, that is very tough to describe.

I paid $2600 for mine last year. But that came with the 4.0 that needed to be rebuilt, along with the old 4.2 that was in it. It alsi came with a couple of replacement panels that (still) need to be put on the jeep in place of a couple that have rusted out. It also had a brand new suspension lift and 4 new tires and wheels.

My jeep is ugly, just rattle can painted black. I am working on changing out the panels and I am going to paint it right.

Things to check for:
Rust on the frame. Old Jeeps are notorious for rusting. If there is some rust on the frame, it can be repaired, but make sure you know about it before you buy it.

Drive it around and see if its running rough. If its a carb issue, that can be a pretty cheap fix.

Look at oil pressure. The pressure on the old 4.2 can be pretty low and still be in normal range, but if its really low, that could indicate a worn out engine.

Oil leaks. Again, cj's are notorious for leaking oil, and usually its from the rear main seal, which is a simple, yet time consuming and annoying fix.

rust on body, especially behind rocker panel guards. Another thing that can usually be patched or fixed, just need to be aware of the issue.

I looked for mine for 2 yrs before buying. No matter how bad of shape its in, you really won't find one for less than $2500.

If it has been taken care of, and is in great condition they can be priced as high as $10-15k. You just have to go look at them. There are deals to be had.

Don't be afraid to get one that needs some TLC. That is the easiest way to get one without spending an arm and a leg. They are easy to work on and its kinda fun.

Like I said, I'd never even changed oil before I bought this one, and now I have rebuilt and swapped an engine. I did it all on my own (father in law helped on swap day) after watching youtube and reading up on the internet.

[This message has been edited by Gigemags05 (edited 10/8/2013 12:35p).]
Silvy
AG
Samurai > Jeep IMO
Gigemags05
AG
I think we've had this discussion before, silverado, but I don't think I could disagree with you more.

Silvy
AG
I don't recall, refresh my memory
Gigemags05
AG
I said a Samurai was like a moped. Lots of fun to ride around, but not quite the same as the real thing.

You claimed they are fun to trick up, etc,

I claimed if I wanted a vehicle that would double as a golf cart that I would look into a samurai.

You know, the usual.
Silvy
AG
Samurais on the golf course
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Jeeps are fun. I have had a 97,98,99 TJ's and my wife has had a 2011 JK, and a 2013 JKU rubicon. This is my '98 that I currently have has my weekend car (well will be after I finish all the wiring and new gauges) It was a 2.5L 4 cyl, then the motor blew up and I have a chevy 5.3L sitting in it right now.

[This message has been edited by Aggiethruthicknthin (edited 10/11/2013 7:29a).]
PUP2012
AG
I thought we've been over this before bro?
Silvy
AG
quote:
I have a chevy 5.3L sitting in it right now.

[This message has been edited by Aggiethruthicknthin (edited 10/11/2013 7:29a).]

DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS
Rexter
Don't get a 4 banger. It couldn't break out of a wet paper bag. I had a YJ with one in it and it would barely pull 60 mph in 5th. Had to run fourth with it wound out to get anywhere.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Here are the three I'm looking at.....

Good condition, low miles, BUT 4 cyl

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4126969236.html

Decent condition, fully built, wary of "new" motor

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4123916459.html

OK condition, has rust issues apparently in the body, wary of shadetree mechanic work

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4075065731.html
mudbutt07
If I were going to get a jeep, I'd go with a TJ unlimited. Unfortunately, all jeeps hold their value well and these are no exception. If not a TJ unlimited, a CJ7 would be my choice.
KRT-1
Ummm...

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2387264&forum_id=46
Corps_Ag12
AG
I saw it and posted in that already.

A. It's in Houston, I'm in Dallas.

B. Out of my price range.

The ones I posted I plan on getting down around 5-6k
KRT-1
Gotcha. Sorry about that. 8K could probably get someone in that thing. Man, I wish I had the money. It's a damn nice jeep.
AG
That cj7 has a pretty sweet roll cage. I don't think I'd touch that one.
Corps_Ag12
AG
quote:
Gotcha. Sorry about that. 8K could probably get someone in that thing. Man, I wish I had the money. It's a damn nice jeep.

No worries! You're right, it is, but I can't afford nice right now. I just want something to putt around town in
Flaith
AG
I wish I could justify spending the money to buy that CJ linked above.
Tatem
We got a really good deal on a Jeep while we were visiting the in-laws in Ohio this summer $4000 for a 1977, in pretty good condition. It's just a weekend car.
look up north. Jeeps aren't in high demand like they are in the South.
Gigemags05
AG
I'd eliminate the first yj. You don't want a 4 cylinder.

It's going to be tough to find a jeep that doesn't have some "shade three" work done to it. That's half the fun of owning them. The good thing is, most things are reversible or fixable if you don't like it.

I'd look at the other two, both seem to be in good shape. The rust on the cj is concerning, but then again, that can be fixed too.
IJones23
Learn all you can about the death wobble.
Gigemags05
AG
The death wobble is usually attributed to caster angle.

You can reweld your perches but that is pretty advanced.

I ordered 4 degree steel shims to correct it. Took about two hrs to install.

Steers infinitely better.
Corps_Ag12
AG
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/4163237179.html

Worth $6k or more? Claims he has it sold but I'd consider offering $6500.

Or he's just saying that to get more $$$

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Corps_ag12 (edited 11/5/2013 6:16p).]
Street Fighter
AG
The jokes, oh the jokes.

quote:
Learn all you can about the death wobble.

Most people that think they have death wobble don't actually have it. A little vibration / shimmy is not death wobble.

quote:
The rear axle has a super 35 kit with auto locker to handle the larger tires.

Fail

quote:
The axle has a manual Posi Lock on the front axle. This setup allows you to have true 2wd LOW and 4wd Low at the pull of a cable.

Double fail
Corps_Ag12
AG
Se this is why I come to you guys, to take the stars out of my eyes to show me reality.

And for education.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.