BBQ rec's for Temple

6,793 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by c-jags
washburn321
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

i have an incredibly wealthy friend in Waco who gives at least a million away every year and you never see his name or company on any sort of news release or marketing (by purpose.)

Jags, why did you feel the need to call me out on here? I keep my name out of the headlines for a reason .
c-jags
washburn321 said:

Quote:

i have an incredibly wealthy friend in Waco who gives at least a million away every year and you never see his name or company on any sort of news release or marketing (by purpose.)

Jags, why did you feel the need to call me out on here? I keep my name out of the headlines for a reason .

Ha. Good to hear from you. How's working for the fruit company going?

Ironically, I'm pretty sure you do know the guy I'm talking about.
washburn321
AG
All good here, fruit continues to be pretty ripe for the picking, thanks for checking. Hope things are going well for you and your family.

I think I may have an idea on who you were talking about here in Waco.

And I would agree that, in general, giving without seeking fanfare or recognition is the best way to go about it. That said, if I'm a company versus an individual, I don't think there is anything wrong with seeking out some recognition/advertisement for donating to great causes. It's a win/win and if Schopef's does that well, good on them.

To stay somewhat on thread here, I always enjoy a lunch visit to Miller's. Solid cue and they have a lot of good desserts too.

If anyone needs an off the beaten path place to visit in Waco, I would recommend R&S BBQ. It is not fancy, not a Texas Monthly contender like Guess or Hellberg, but I had some of the best brisket I've had in a while at this place. It's in a non-descript shopping plaza near Hobby Lobby off of Richland Dr.

Been a while since I've posted here, nice to see some activity on the boards.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Millers 111%.

Not a fan of Schoepfs. Every time I have gone to Schoepfs the folks serving the meat are ridiculously stingy with meat portions. This is my observation over several visits within the last 5 years. They also have a ridiculous drink policy... no outside drink containers allowed... including sippy cups for infants and toddlers. After several poor experiences I gave Schoepfs 1 last chance and attended a concert a few years ago. One of his "hired security guards" was very rude and unprofessional to my family during the event. I spoke with one of the managers shortly after and they understood my concerns and were reasonable, however, when Mr. Schoepf called me the next day he essentially trolled/ made fun of me and refused to accept responsibility for the employees actions. Said they didn't really work for him. He may allegedly do a lot for the community but that doesn't give him the right to be an ass.

A good spot a little bit south of Temple in Salado is Johnnys right off 35. Food and service is always great. The owners Johnny and Josh are also good Aggies.
BCSWguru
the 'Cue bowl at Johnny's is top notch.
OutdoorAg
AG
Johnny's has really great food, with the exception of their BBQ. Something I also thought was kind of weird.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with Schoepf's being stingy with their meat portions. You order by the 1/4, 1/2 and pound. They weigh it on the scale right in front of you.
Dirk Diggler
AG
I do not like Johnnys brisket. Big fan of their sausage, Turkey ,pork, and chicken. Steaks are always awesome.

As far as the Stingy with meat comment. Yes they throw it in the scale in front. Every time they have done it with me they run a knife or tongs back through like a fine toothed comb so it's exactly .5lb or 1lb. Just charge me for the overage if it's .55 pounds. I think that's odd for a BBQ spot and can see stingy isn't the best word to describe it.
c-jags
Dirk Diggler said:

I do not like Johnnys brisket. Big fan of their sausage, Turkey ,pork, and chicken. Steaks are always awesome.

As far as the Stingy with meat comment. Yes they throw it in the scale in front. Every time they have done it with me they run a knife or tongs back through like a fine toothed comb so it's exactly .5lb or 1lb. Just charge me for the overage if it's .55 pounds. I think that's odd for a BBQ spot and can see stingy isn't the best word to describe it.

My complaint in regard to stingy is the cost of things like sandwiches in comparison to what you get. We were there for a concert and it was $7 for a sausage wrap and $12 for a brisket sandwich.

I'm not saying it's ridiculous or wasn't good. It was just a couple of slices of brisket and a bun.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Are you talking about Johnny's or Scheopfs? They both have concerts so I'm not sure.

A BBQ spot in Temple I never heard of burned down today... sucks.

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/03/24/fire-ravages-temple-bbq-joint/
c-jags
Dirk Diggler said:

Are you talking about Johnny's or Scheopfs? They both have concerts so I'm not sure.

scheopf's. they used to have food you could grab out at the concert that i felt was decently priced for what you get, but the last two i went to, i had to go in the storefront to get food and i feel like it was $12-15 for a sandwich.

i've been to a few concerts at Johnny's, but only ever ate a full meal inside. it was fine.

again. i like both. the Scheopfs and Millers are both great people and make great food. we're lucky to have 2 well regarded bbq places in the area.

all though, i will say that my kids have said my ribs, turkey, and chicken, beat both of theirs. they still say Miller's has me on the brisket.

Quote:

A BBQ spot in Temple I never heard of burned down today... sucks.

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/03/24/fire-ravages-temple-bbq-joint/
never heard of it either. sometime i want to go try the place just down from there by Ralph Wilson or Best Quality, but never seem to have the time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.