Bell CAD appraisals

3,190 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GIF Reactor
Donnys Element
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll start it this year. Bought house in 2016 for 225k

Appraised in 2018 for $239K,
2019 for $285k (after protest),
2020 for $305k (after protest).

Now we are up to $372k I did paint the master bedroom, another bedroom and a bathroom during COVID, so I guess I had it coming.

c-jags
I'm pretty nervous for it this year. We just remodeled our entire house down to the studs.

We bought it for $100k in 2009 and it just finally appraised at $100k last year from CAD after being appraised in the 70ks for the most of our ownership. So we were coasting under the radar for the better part of 10 years. This was before we remodeled in the fall.

A realtor said it would go for $350k after the renovation so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be out of my mind when this comes in.
BohunkAg
AG
Donnys Element said:

I'll start it this year. Bought house in 2016 for 225k

Appraised in 2018 for $239K,
2019 for $285k (after protest),
2020 for $305k (after protest).

Now we are up to $372k I did paint the master bedroom, another bedroom and a bathroom during COVID, so I guess I had it coming.

Do you have a Homestead Exemption?
stallion6
AG
Tax appraisal is becoming a racket. The county appraisers are illegally in the MLS and are increasing about 10% every year. It is getting time to address politically.
c-jags
stallion6 said:

Tax appraisal is becoming a racket. The county appraisers are illegally in the MLS and are increasing about 10% every year. It is getting time to address politically.

I kinda get it being the racket that it is. We don't have state income tax and a host of other taxes other states have. Part of that is what I really like about our system. I can be filthy rich and buy a house well below my means.

State, cities, and schools only recourse are property taxes and bonds. I'm not going to pretend like the current trend is honest or above board. I hate it, but I get it.

I'd rather them put the onus of the taxes on people moving in from out of state than current citizens, but that's a F16 thread.
GIF Reactor
AG
stallion6 said:

Are they legally barred from the MLS?

How do you know they are accessing it?
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

stallion6 said:

I kinda get it being the racket that it is. We don't have state income tax and a host of other taxes other states have. Part of that is what I really like about our system. I can be filthy rich and buy a house well below my means.

State, cities, and schools only recourse are property taxes and bonds. I'm not going to pretend like the current trend is honest or above board. I hate it, but I get it.

I'd rather them put the onus of the taxes on people moving in from out of state than current citizens, but that's a F16 thread.

I read an article last year where the appraiser said property here was significantly undervalued and they were just trying to get it where it should be. Whatever man. This is Bell County, not Travis.
c-jags
Electrical_Ag said:

c-jags said:

stallion6 said:

I read an article last year where the appraiser said property here was significantly undervalued and they were just trying to get it where it should be. Whatever man. This is Bell County, not Travis.

Unless I'm mistaken, they started bringing in appraisers from Williamson and Travis County.

An anecdotal story. When we did our remodel in Northside last year, we had to do an appraisal beforehand. We bought our house in 2009 for about 100k right after the market bottomed out. 2500ish sq feet, but very dated. We've made some improvements for sure, but we figured it would appraise for maybe $120-130k.

Guy came in from Round Rock and appraised it at almost $200k as it was. Completely ridiculous. It was great for the purpose of our remodel, but I was floored at that amount.

Our mortgage guy said that was what was happening all over the place as we've been having people from Austin area do these appraisals and say that we're undervaluing our market. As you said, this is Bell County. Not Travis. I stay in Temple because it's not Austin, SA, Dallas, or Houston. I choose less amenities because I don't want the big city. Don't charge us for big city life.

I'm pretty sure that 2022 state elections will have this on the docket for both sides.
stallion6
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

stallion6 said:

The Austin Board of Realtors sent the Travis County Appraisers District a cease in desist order from using MLS proprietary information. Their action is just an example where this is being done. I don't know if that really stopped them from accessing seller information in the MLS.

The seller's information, in the MLS, must be approved by the seller to be shared.

stallion6
AG
stallion6 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

stallion6 said:

The Austin Board of Realtors sent the Travis County Appraisers District a cease in desist order from using MLS proprietary information. Their action is just an example where this is being done. I don't know if that really stopped them from accessing seller information in the MLS.

The seller's information, in the MLS, must be approved by the seller to be shared.

I do know we live in Bell County but I assume this is happening in other places as well.
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

Electrical_Ag said:

c-jags said:

stallion6 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, they started bringing in appraisers from Williamson and Travis County.

An anecdotal story. When we did our remodel in Northside last year, we had to do an appraisal beforehand. We bought our house in 2009 for about 100k right after the market bottomed out. 2500ish sq feet, but very dated. We've made some improvements for sure, but we figured it would appraise for maybe $120-130k.

Guy came in from Round Rock and appraised it at almost $200k as it was. Completely ridiculous. It was great for the purpose of our remodel, but I was floored at that amount.

Our mortgage guy said that was what was happening all over the place as we've been having people from Austin area do these appraisals and say that we're undervaluing our market. As you said, this is Bell County. Not Travis. I stay in Temple because it's not Austin, SA, Dallas, or Houston. I choose less amenities because I don't want the big city. Don't charge us for big city life.

I'm pretty sure that 2022 state elections will have this on the docket for both sides.
Well said!
rather be fishing
AG
Is there a preferred company for protests?
c-jags
so..... just got ours.... and it went down $8k from last year.

it actually appraised for less than we bought it for in 2008 (it's been lowly appraised for years anyways... just had a $30k jump last year.)

a realtor looked at it after the remodel and said it would sell for 3x what we bought it for.

what in the sam hill are these people doing?
mazzag
AG
So it's May and we never received anything on the house. I'm worried but we received notices on business property. We've had an increase in value every year except one, and that year it went down in value. Not sure what to do because we added "structures" last summer.
EMY92
AG
In Woodway, a house a few doors down just sold for more than twice what they paid for it less than 4 years ago.

I told them I'd send them a bill for a portion on my property taxes in the coming years.
mazzag
AG
I'd send it to Chip and Joanna.
rather be fishing
AG
Our place in Belton has jumped approximately 100k in 2 years. No homestead cap, but hoping they'll with with the prettiest I sent in.
GIF Reactor
AG
rather be fishing said:

Our place in Belton has jumped approximately 100k in 2 years. No homestead cap, but hoping they'll with with the prettiest I sent in.

Ridiculous
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.