If Ft Hood is closed

3,952 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wildcat08
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're all screwed.

http://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3134534
stallion6
AG
We definitely would be but it is not going to close. Unfortunately the recent incidents there have not been properly managed and it will cost several their careers.
MarathonAg12
Haha you are not going to **** down the entire Armored Corps of the US Army
BigFred
yep
3rd Generation Ag
AG
It may be renamed since that is one push, but not closed.
ord89
AG
It wont close. Over 20% of our entire Army is stationed there.

3rd Gen is right about renaming however as Hood was a confederate

Ord89
c-jags
ord89 said:

Don't mind changing it from a confederate name at all even though I'm not a big "take down the statues" guy.

However, somebody brought up naming it for Roy Benavidez and I 100% support.

more awesome than anything Hood did. And born, raised, and died in Texas.

Quote:

In 1965 he was sent to South Vietnam as an advisor to an Army of the Republic of Vietnam infantry regiment. He stepped on a land mine [1] during a patrol and was evacuated to the United States. Doctors at Fort Sam Houston concluded he would never walk again and began preparing his medical discharge papers. As Benavidez noted in his 1981 MOH acceptance speech, stung by the diagnosis, as well as flag burnings and media criticism of the US military presence in Vietnam he saw on TV, he began an unsanctioned nightly training ritual in an attempt to redevelop his ability to walk.[2]

Getting out of bed at night (against doctors' orders), Benavidez would crawl using his elbows and chin to a wall near his bedside and (with the encouragement of his fellow patients, many of whom were permanently paralyzed and/or missing limbs) he would prop himself against the wall and attempt to lift himself unaided, starting by wiggling his toes, then his feet, and then eventually (after several months of excruciating practice that, by his own admission, often left him in tears) pushing himself up the wall with his ankles and legs.[3] After over a year of hospitalization, Benavidez walked out of the hospital in July 1966, with his wife at his side, determined to return to combat in Vietnam. Despite continuing pain from his wounds, he returned to South Vietnam in January 1968.

6 Hours in Hell Edit
On May 2, 1968, a 12-man Special Forces patrol, which included nine Montagnard tribesmen, was surrounded by a NVA infantry battalion of about 1,000 men. Benavidez heard the radio appeal for help and boarded a helicopter to respond. Armed only with a knife, he jumped from the helicopter carrying his medical bag and ran to help the trapped patrol. Benavidez "distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions... and because of his gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men."[4]

At one point in the battle an NVA soldier accosted him and stabbed him with his bayonet. Benavidez pulled it out, yanked out his own knife, killed him and kept going, leaving his knife in the NVA soldier's body. After the battle, he was evacuated to the base camp, examined, and thought to be dead. As he was placed in a body bag among the other dead in body bags, he was suddenly recognized by a friend who called for help. A doctor came and examined him but believed Benavidez was dead. The doctor was about to zip up the body bag when Benavidez managed to spit in his face, alerting the doctor that he was alive.[5] Benavidez had a total of 37 separate bullet, bayonet, and shrapnel wounds from the six-hour fight with the enemy battalion.[4]

I completely understand and respect the complications of confederates fighting for their home states and get that the media and instigators like to give their own version of history in these situations, but I'm hard pressed to commemorate Hood over Benavidez.

Get woke points, honor somebody way more awesome than Hood, name it for a Texan, and remove the stigma forever.
ord89
AG
c-jags said:

ord89 said:

Don't mind changing it from a confederate name at all even though I'm not a big "take down the statues" guy.

However, somebody brought up naming it for Roy Benavidez and I 100% support.

more awesome than anything Hood did. And born, raised, and died in Texas.

Quote:

In 1965 he was sent to South Vietnam as an advisor to an Army of the Republic of Vietnam infantry regiment. He stepped on a land mine [1] during a patrol and was evacuated to the United States. Doctors at Fort Sam Houston concluded he would never walk again and began preparing his medical discharge papers. As Benavidez noted in his 1981 MOH acceptance speech, stung by the diagnosis, as well as flag burnings and media criticism of the US military presence in Vietnam he saw on TV, he began an unsanctioned nightly training ritual in an attempt to redevelop his ability to walk.[2]

Getting out of bed at night (against doctors' orders), Benavidez would crawl using his elbows and chin to a wall near his bedside and (with the encouragement of his fellow patients, many of whom were permanently paralyzed and/or missing limbs) he would prop himself against the wall and attempt to lift himself unaided, starting by wiggling his toes, then his feet, and then eventually (after several months of excruciating practice that, by his own admission, often left him in tears) pushing himself up the wall with his ankles and legs.[3] After over a year of hospitalization, Benavidez walked out of the hospital in July 1966, with his wife at his side, determined to return to combat in Vietnam. Despite continuing pain from his wounds, he returned to South Vietnam in January 1968.

6 Hours in Hell Edit
On May 2, 1968, a 12-man Special Forces patrol, which included nine Montagnard tribesmen, was surrounded by a NVA infantry battalion of about 1,000 men. Benavidez heard the radio appeal for help and boarded a helicopter to respond. Armed only with a knife, he jumped from the helicopter carrying his medical bag and ran to help the trapped patrol. Benavidez "distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions... and because of his gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men."[4]

At one point in the battle an NVA soldier accosted him and stabbed him with his bayonet. Benavidez pulled it out, yanked out his own knife, killed him and kept going, leaving his knife in the NVA soldier's body. After the battle, he was evacuated to the base camp, examined, and thought to be dead. As he was placed in a body bag among the other dead in body bags, he was suddenly recognized by a friend who called for help. A doctor came and examined him but believed Benavidez was dead. The doctor was about to zip up the body bag when Benavidez managed to spit in his face, alerting the doctor that he was alive.[5] Benavidez had a total of 37 separate bullet, bayonet, and shrapnel wounds from the six-hour fight with the enemy battalion.[4]

I completely understand and respect the complications of confederates fighting for their home states and get that the media and instigators like to give their own version of history in these situations, but I'm hard pressed to commemorate Hood over Benavidez.

Get woke points, honor somebody way more awesome than Hood, name it for a Texan, and remove the stigma forever.
Hard to argue, but after 3 tours there, it will always be Hood to me.
Ord89
wildcat08
AG
I've thought that if Hood gets renamed, naming it after Benavidez or Audie Murphy would be good choices. Both highly decorated Texans, I would think either would be popular in Texas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.