Command Change at Fort Hood

4,546 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by padreislandagfan
Horn_in_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/fort-hood-commander-loses-post-denied-transfer-after-incidents-army-n1239008?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

The commander of the U.S. Army's Fort Hood is being removed from his position and will no longer assume command of a division at Fort Bliss, according to a U.S. Army statement released Tuesday.
padreislandagfan
Sounds like he lucked out.
BLISS is a crap hole.

Did not read article.
FbgTxAg
AG
padreislandagfan said:

BLISS is a crap hole.

Did not read article.

Fort Hood is the armpit of Texas
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
CanyonAg77
AG
With all the recent deaths there, this is no surprise.

Unlike politics, the military always holds the person in charge responsible.
captkirk
AG
Lots of weird stuff there lately
GarryowenAg
AG
Sounds like a quick retirement for him!

Edit: I just read the article. I served under him when he was the Brigade Commander of 1st Brigade, 1st Cav. He got his masters as A&M and considered himself an Aggie (participated in our Muster when we deployed). Mixed emotions about him as our brigade commander, but apparently hi did well enough to get 2 stars. Good luck to him.
titan
S
CanyonAg77 said:

With all the recent deaths there, this is no surprise.

Unlike politics, the military always holds the person in charge responsible.
Unfortunately sometimes not before losing the battle that counts.

Another example of that built in accountability for the "one in charge" period -- is the utter lack of leeway for a captain running his command aground, or losing his ship. In fact the former is sometimes worse if the loss was due to enemy action, because running aground tends to be always blamed on him unless actually under another's command like a civilian. Even then they often get demoted.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Ambres
AG
III Corps, Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt, was the Deputy and acting commander. The actual commander is Lt Gen White, who is deployed. I wonder if anything will happen to him as well.

stallion6
AG
FbgTxAg said:

padreislandagfan said:

BLISS is a crap hole.

Did not read article.

Killeen is not great. Ft. Hood itself is fine if you are serving your country. Lots of "arm pit" places to be when you serve your county. By the way, Ft. Bliss has some of the army's newest facilities.
titan
S
Ambres said:

III Corps, Maj. Gen. Scott Efflandt, was the Deputy and acting commander. The actual commander is Lt Gen White, who is deployed. I wonder if anything will happen to him as well.

Possibly if only briefly deployed---- as in, had a large say in the present conditions. But if it is an extended deployment, where the Deputy was essentially always `it' --- presumably that will be taken into account.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
stallion6
AG
Also you can't treat murder like an AWOL. That approach gets you relieved.
azul_rain
San Antonio is the soul of Texas, you live in Seattle lol lib
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
NormanAg
AG
Quote:

Killeen is not great. Ft. Hood itself is fine if you are serving your country. Lots of "arm pit" places to be when you serve your county.
Was just about to post something similar. "Arm pit places" are not uncommon, and I had a few in my career. But my observation was that MOST of the folks assigned there, and their families, had positive attitudes and found ways to still have fun and make the most of the local area, etc. And making friends and sharing those positive aspects of the base/local area with those friends helped a lot.

My earliest memories are from Lampasas, Tx, when my AF dad was stationed at Grey Army Air Field at Ft Hood (1950-52 - long story). If don't remember Ft Hood at all, but my parents enjoyed Lampasas and made a lot of friends there. I know that because my family visited those Lampasas friends several times over the years when I was growing up.

UTExan
stallion6 said:

FbgTxAg said:

padreislandagfan said:

BLISS is a crap hole.

Did not read article.

Killeen is not great. Ft. Hood itself is fine if you are serving your country. Lots of "arm pit" places to be when you serve your county. By the way, Ft. Bliss has some of the army's newest facilities.

Agree. Bliss was nice after Ft Hood. Even with August temps and time on the Dona Ana range with a HAWK battalion. Yeah, I am that old.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
NormanAg
AG
I went to undergrad at NMSU and had a job as a Dept of the Army intern at White Sands Missile Range (my wife did too, but later than my time there). My dad was active duty AF at the time, so I went to the Bliss Commissary and BX once a month or so. And my AFROTC unit had several functions at the Ft Bliss O Club (LOTS of history there - loved it). Bliss is not everyone's cup of tea, but there are worse places to be assigned IMO.
padreislandagfan
NormanAg said:

I went to undergrad at NMSU and had a job as a Dept of the Army intern at White Sands Missile Range (my wife did too, but later than my time there). My dad was active duty AF at the time, so I went to the Bliss Commissary and BX once a month or so. And my AFROTC unit had several functions at the Ft Bliss O Club (LOTS of history there - loved it). Bliss is not everyone's cup of tea, but there are worse places to be assigned IMO.

Very true.
FORT POLK says HI
NormanAg
AG
Never been there, but I have heard it sucks many times.
CanyonAg77
AG
My Favorite Pilot was at Columbus AFB, which is routinely listed in the bottom 3 of stateside USAF bases by the inmates. But, MFP was busy flying, and her husband loved to hunt, and there was plenty of that. So not all people hate all bases.

She did mention that she felt bad for the enlisted folks. Mississippi schools are awful, and the enlisted folks can't afford private schools.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
C@LAg said:

FbgTxAg said:

padreislandagfan said:

BLISS is a crap hole.

Did not read article.

san antonio is the armpit. Hood is the knee pit.

Lubbock is the *******.

I guess somebody from Seattle thinks every place is a **** hole if it's not overrun.by homeless, drug addicts, and hippies. Non burning buildings are also quite an eyesore too I'm sure.
tremble
AG
padreislandagfan said:

NormanAg said:

Very true.
FORT POLK says HI

The Gem of the JAG Corps as everyone always joked in Charlottesville. A true gem for all Soldiers to partake in.
NormanAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

My Favorite Pilot was at Columbus AFB, which is routinely listed in the bottom 3 of stateside USAF bases by the inmates. But, MFP was busy flying, and her husband loved to hunt, and there was plenty of that. So not all people hate all bases.

She did mention that she felt bad for the enlisted folks. Mississippi schools are awful, and the enlisted folks can't afford private schools.
I can sympathize with the schools part. When I was an undergrad at NM State in the late 60's my dad was stationed at Little Rock AFB, It's actually a few miles from Little Rock, so the base kids went to school at the nearby town of Jacksonville. My sister went to Jr High there and my parents were really pissed about the local schools - they weren't accredited schools! So a High School senior from the base was going to graduate from an non-accredited HS. A lot of the parents on base with HS senior sent them out of state to live with grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc just so they could graduate from an accredited HS, which most colleges (outside of Arkansas) require.

turf guy ag
hedge said:

San Antonio is the as soul of Texas, you live in Seattle lol lib
lotoarmy
AG
I loved Ft. Bliss! Son was born there in William Beaumont Army Hospital (wife didn't too much like her direct taste of the Army, though). He cost us $8.00. Everything there was cheap. All the stores and restaurants had to compete with, not only Ft. Bliss, but Juarez ( when it was safe).
Last of the Old Army
JABQ04
AG
padreislandagfan said:

NormanAg said:

Very true.
FORT POLK says HI

I didn't mind being stationed at Polk. I even requested it.
leachfan
Born at Ft Hood, stationed at Ft Hood and live in Lubbock.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
BigfootYancey
AG
C@LAg said:

FbgTxAg said:

padreislandagfan said:

BLISS is a crap hole.

Did not read article.

san antonio is the armpit. Hood is the knee pit.

Lubbock is the *******.
Each place is extremely glad to hear you feel that way and will look to I suppose Austin (lol) when you have to come crawling to Texas for employment.
padreislandagfan
tremble said:

padreislandagfan said:

NormanAg said:

Very true.
FORT POLK says HI

The Gem of the JAG Corps as everyone always joked in Charlottesville. A true gem for all Soldiers to partake in.

Didn't know the jag angle there.
I went there with a lot of foreigners doing some door kicking training. JRTC.
Rossticus
C@LAg said:

leachfan said:

Born at Ft Hood, stationed at Ft Hood and live in Lubbock.
Your STD levels must be higher than Anakin Skywalker's midichlorians levels....

If there's one way to build an immunity, that's it.
NormanAg
AG
Quote:

All the stores and restaurants had to compete with, not only Ft. Bliss, but Juarez ( when it was safe).
Yep, I remember those days. Went there a lot when I was at NMSU and also with my fiance and her parents when we were dating. Our last visit (with my wife, 2 kids, and in-laws) was in the summer of 1982. Everything was fine and we had a great time. I don't know when things there went to crap, but it's a damned shame.
padreislandagfan
Damn. I miss going to border town Mexico for weekend fun.
I left my mark at corona club in Cuna.
Makes me sad I cannot take my son on a weekend there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.