UMHB Coach Fredenburg

2,814 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gigemchicken90
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/UMHB-suspends-football-coach-over-NCAA-violations-479914763.html
Cowboy1990
Sad and disappointed
JAW3336
AG
He said it was unintentional.
mazzag
AG
JAW3336 said:

He said it was unintentional.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
What exactly was the violation?
mazzag
AG
I'm going to guess giving money to players? I saw this on Facebook and many of the comments were "it's been going on for years " or "everybody knew about this".
Cowboy1990
3rd Generation Ag said:

What exactly was the violation?

No idea - and I haven't seen the comments and as an alum I would have thought that I would have. Of course I was there pre-football days.
BohunkAg
AG
From all I've heard, Coach Fred is supposed to be a top notch guy. I'd find it hard to believe it was something intentionally shady.
c-jags
i'm going to guess some benefits that could be interpreted as financial. knowing that this is DIII football and all, but i'm willing to bet UMHB overshot their suspension to avoid anything from NCAA.
mazzag
AG
BohunkAg said:

From all I've heard, Coach Fred is supposed to be a top notch guy. I'd find it hard to believe it was something intentionally shady.

Great guy. And it is a DIII school. If some running around money was given to kids, I get it and it's not shady. But everyone knows it's not ok. We know we can't buy lunch for an A&M athlete, no matter the sport. Period. Bag men might be shady but at least they're at arms length of the coaching staff. This is such a small town still. I hear a lot of gossip about meth problems on campus. Who knows if they're true. We'll know in a week or so why the city spent millions on the mlk bridge from campus to 121 to access UMHB property. Could soon be swapped for another property tax exempt entity.
ag0207
AG
I know him personally & find it hard to believe that it would be anything significant or unethical. He is a great guy & always fun to chat with.
templeton
mazzag said:

We'll know in a week or so why the city spent millions on the mlk bridge from campus to 121 to access UMHB property. Could soon be swapped for another property tax exempt entity.
lol i was wondering how long before the conspiracy theorists started in on this.
mazzag
AG
templeton said:

mazzag said:

We'll know in a week or so why the city spent millions on the mlk bridge from campus to 121 to access UMHB property. Could soon be swapped for another property tax exempt entity.
lol i was wondering how long before the conspiracy theorists started in on this.

Why is it a conspiracy theory? Somewhere on this board is a thread about useless roads. I'm in there somewhere about the mlk bridge. It's useless. Unless you're UMHB and need access to the acreage you own a n 121, across Nolan Creek. That bridge brings no future income to the city. At all. Now, low and behold the church needs to sell their property and rebuild, but where? And who will buy the current property on main? OMG it just works out that UMHB has all this land in 121 and the property on main that the church owns would be a perfect swap. And look at the city council that made the decision to put tax payer dollars to work on a bridge that doesn't bring any income to the city. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm a realist and tired of being fleeced. The next time that church sends me letter reminding me my donations are down from years prior, I'll post it on Facebook and send it to a newspaper editor. I'm done. maybe the church should send letters to the 70% of members that give nothing, reminding them they give nothing. But I'd bet they don't do that.

Edit to add: the huge push a few years ago to pay off the debt of the new sanctuary. Not sure where that's at, but it's all falling into place. Nicely. At least school bonds are a tad more transparent.
Tube
mazzag said:

Now, low and behold the church needs to sell their property and rebuild, but where? And who will buy the current property on main? OMG it just works out that UMHB has all this land in 121 and the property on main that the church owns would be a perfect swap. And look at the city council that made the decision to put tax payer dollars to work on a bridge that doesn't bring any income to the city. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm a realist and tired of being fleeced. The next time that church sends me letter reminding me my donations are down from years prior, I'll post it on Facebook and send it to a newspaper editor. I'm done. maybe the church should send letters to the 70% of members that give nothing, reminding them they give nothing. But I'd bet they don't do that.

Edit to add: the huge push a few years ago to pay off the debt of the new sanctuary. Not sure where that's at, but it's all falling into place. Nicely. At least school bonds are a tad more transparent.
FBC? What is the back story here?
templeton
UMHB has proposed a land swap with FBC--the Main Street 10 acre plant for 35 undeveloped acres on the corner of MLK and 121. The church will vote May 20.
Tube
Interesting. I was also questioning the bolded part regarding the Church's 'need' to move.

I'm also in agreement the MLK bridge serves only the University.
mazzag
AG
Tube said:

Interesting. I was also questioning the bolded part regarding the Church's 'need' to move.

I'm also in agreement the MLK bridge serves only the University.

They've out grown, or predict they will, the current location. They're land locked and need more space.
templeton
They never needed to sell. In fact, the 30 year master facilities plan was just approved in the last year to make the upgrades needed to remain at Main Street. UMHB approached them in January with this idea and will ultimately end up cheaper, nicer, and larger than the 30 year plan. There's no backstory.

Since when is a street supposed to bring municipal revenue? It was always about access to UMHB from the loop and alleviating Main Street traffic.

All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
mazzag
AG
templeton said:

Since when is a street supposed to bring municipal revenue? It was always about access to UMHB from the loop and alleviating Main Street traffic.

When signs say "you're tax dollars at work" when building roads and bridges and circles, I'm guessing it's to the benefit of the tax payers and most of the time that includes attracting new developments and businesses. The more folks paying in usually means the less everyone has to pay. Especially if the roads, bridges or circles attract hotels, restaurants or large industrial plants. That's why municipalities invest in infrastructure. I don't take the mlk bridge to avoid main st. That's what Beal is for.
Tube
I also don't think that commercial development along 121 will ever greatly increase traffic on the MLK bridge. It seems like a very expensive project that very few people will use. No one will cut through UMHB to avoid main street. They'll avoid it via 2nd street or sparta/Lake rd.
templeton
yes, of course, attracting new industry benefits taxpayers, but that's not the ONLY benefit to taxpayers in city projects. Providing additional access to campus for the 5000 people that study and work at UMHB alleviates traffic.
mazzag
AG
templeton said:

yes, of course, attracting new industry benefits taxpayers, but that's not the ONLY benefit to taxpayers in city projects. Providing additional access to campus for the 5000 people that study and work at UMHB alleviates traffic.

5000 people travel to & from campus M-F? I had no idea. I also don't know how many students live on campus, but I'd guess a lot because a lot of dorms are being built. I have a friend that's a department head. I'm guessing the bridge benefits him because he lives on the west side of 121 and probably used to go the old way to campus, you know, the turn off of 121 with a sharp curve that lead to the athletic facilities and campus. I use that road all the time. It's just easier if I'm headed to 13th ave.
mazzag
AG
Tube said:

I also don't think that commercial development along 121 will ever happen.

FIFY

Most of the property along 121 is University owned, private property of individuals or has distribution lines running thru it. I think that's why the corner lot at 93/121, that's been for sale forever is listed for so much. It's a unicorn.
BohunkAg
AG
I'm confused as to what all this has to do with Coach Fredenburg.
mazzag
AG
About as much to do with the vt recruiting coordinator resigning has to do with A&M athletics.
Gigemchicken90
AG
In one of the articles, it also said there are violations in other sports. Has it come out which sports these were?
'90
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.