The Matterhorn Restaurant

16,063 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Casey Ryback
Ice Cube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone remember this place? Out of the blue the other day I had a memory of it, going there as a little kid. I googled it and can only find a reference to it in the link below. I can remember having a Baked Alaska desert there and loving it.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4606

Long shot I'll admit, but does anyone by chance have a photo of the place?

[This message has been edited by Ice Cube (edited 8/5/2010 3:56p).]
3rd Generation Ag
AG
No, but Rogers had their jr/sr banquet there (before the days of it being a prom) in either 1981 or 82. I was junior sponsor and we had to raise a ton of money to get it reserved.
Captain Pablo
AG
Yeah, it was in prairie dell between Salado and jarrell. Pretty much a flop, as I recall. The guy who owned it also owned el chacho, a mexican restaurant in temple on 3d that was built as though you were dinng in a cave. El chacho was referenced in a thread not long ago.

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 8/6/2010 8:19a).]
Captain Pablo
AG
Oh, no I don't have a photo.
BohunkAg
AG
I remember it. Every time I pass by there I think about it. They basically blew it up filming Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 there. I think there's an RV park there now.

[This message has been edited by BohunkAg (edited 8/6/2010 8:01a).]
Hello Newman
I went there a couple of times with the family during the early 80's. It was a blast for us kids but they didn't serve alcohol so the adults probably thought the drive wasn't worth it.
Reinhold72
AG
El Chacho - man, you could get lost in that place and never find your way out - what a labyrinth.
TempleAg97
AG
Absolutely (on both restaurants). Wow, those are some serious blasts from the past!
sandman82
AG
Had not thought of these in a long time. Took yearbook photos at El Chacho ca 1975. Had Easter lunch at Matterhorn sometime in late 70s/early 80s. Creepy fire hazards.
Tex Ag 81
AG
Owner was Frank Weis, who owned El Cha Cho. He had kids in THS in the 70's.
Baylorcattleguy
I vaguely remember this place as a little kid. I remember sitting in a big room eating dinner with some divers coming down a slide into a big indoor pool. I'd love to see some pics.
Captain Pablo
AG
Good grief. How did you stumble across this thread?
TempleAg97
AG
Seriously. How in the world does this thread come back up?? But since it did, anyone have pictures? Ha.
Captain Pablo
AG
Was it even open long enough to have been photographed?

But that El Chacho, now that place was a trip....
Ellis Wyatt
I thought the Matterhorn was cool. Seems like the mountain itself was standing long after the restaurant was gone.
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
I thought the Matterhorn was cool. Seems like the mountain itself was standing long after the restaurant was gone.

That's the part they blew up filming Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.
Ellis Wyatt
Gotcha. I didn't see the movie.
Tex Ag 81
AG
I think the owner of both (el ch cho and Mattahorn) was Frank Weis, his son Dobie graduated THS in 78. Had a house that he built to huge size at 13th and Mayborn Drive, I think? Started as a standard house and he just kept building, eventually looked like a hotel.
Casey Ryback
Here's an article about the Matterhorn.

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SiteMap/FreePdfPreview.aspx?img=115322619
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.