Best small towns near corpus

10,929 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCO 90'
Ag with kids
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Ag with kids said:

YouBet said:

Whitehouse Road said:

"Season" was when all the snowbirds came down for the winter.

Yeah, Rockport is much more sporadic in my experience. Probably because most people with second homes there are from Texas. No need to escape harsh winters.
The Winter Texans come to Port A and N Padre...in droves...

We seem to avoid that in Rockport. We are usually only ones on the canal in the fall.
Must be nice...but, then, I own 2 condos, so winter Texans pay the bills.
Whitehouse Road
AG
YouBet said:

Whitehouse Road said:

"Season" was when all the snowbirds came down for the winter.

Yeah, Rockport is much more sporadic in my experience. Probably because most people with second homes there are from Texas. No need to escape harsh winters.

That's good to hear. My wifes coworkers were making it sound like it's terrible. I told her that we just left ground zero, it can only be up from there.
Lola68
It's bad if you play golf. They clog up all the courses, and since they don't spend any money, they usually walk.
busdriver88
AG
I promise when I build in Rockport in four to five years, Ill be a full timer! Wife and I have visited, found our lot to build on, and are already scoping out the places to eat, drink etc.

Now, If I could just close the door behind me.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
B-1 83
AG
Look at Odem. Just outside Nueces County so you likely avoid our asinine taxes, and a short commute to refinery row.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
robbio
I like Odem or Sinton and I thought Butters BBQ was in Mathis.
robbio
Riviera, TX.
CC09LawAg
They recently moved and opened up shop in Sinton.
Fall92
AG
robbio said:

Riviera, TX.

Not Rivera. Does anyone remember Todd Hotz though?
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Mark Fairchild
AG
Rockport resident checking in with a short RANT! THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS SEASONAL PERSONS! THAT IS YOU ARE NOT A WINTER TEXAN, you are a Texan or you are not a Texan. These people trash out everything they are around. You cannot get into HEB, no pews open at Church, they inhabit Aluminum jungles of unsightly RV lots. Tell 'em to go to Florida!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
will.mcg
AG
The nerve of them to fill the pews at church!
Potcake
AG
Wow
will.mcg
AG
I can understand your frustration to a point.

I will say I don't live in Rockport nor do I frequent there. However, the "Winter Texans" I have met have all been nice folks & were out & about throwing money at our local economy. They eat in restaurants, go fishing, spend a mortgage payment every month at these fancy RV parks, etc. Unfortunately it seems you have had some bad experiences.

I've no doubt that you being an Aggie you treat everyone with a basic courtesy at a minimum.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I never lived in Rockport, but spent the first 18 years of my life growing up about 15 minutes from it. Heard a lot about winter Texans, mostly complaints, but hardly ever came across people that obviously fit that category. Would see some of the nicer campground trailer parks full of 5th wheels and RVs, but other than that couldn't tell they were in the area.

Tourists/visitors is just something you have to put up with in a desirable area. Chances are gonna be you won't be the only person that likes the place.
YouBet
AG
We've always been amused at the number of RV parks in and around Rockport. And we've been amazed at the number of people we've met out and about who were literally passing through and then never left. We've multiple people with this same story.
lne2011
AG
B-1 83 said:

Look at Odem. Just outside Nueces County so you likely avoid our asinine taxes, and a short commute to refinery row.

We just bought 5 acres in Odem. Looking to start building by the end of the year.
TXAg361
AG
As someone who has lived in Odem my whole life, other than college, it's crazy the amount of growth since I graduated high school 8 years ago.
will.mcg
AG
What builder have you hired?
harrierdoc
AG
I went to high school there in the early 80's. If your Fam is from there, I probably knew them.
Post removed:
by user
BO297
I don't care much for the town of Mathis itself. If you wanted to live on the lake, that could have some appeal.

The lake itself is really between the towns of Mathis and Orange Grove. You will probably find yourself gravitating to Orange Grove. Especially for schools if you have kids.

If you do not want to live on the lake. Anywhere from the west side of the lake to Orange Grove would be nice. Look up Knolle Farms. One of the Aunts has put in a pretty nice subdivision. This is considered the town of Sandia. It is a really pretty part of south Texas that sits on/near the Nueces River. I believe it is part of the Orange Grove school district which is good.
fav13andac1)c
AG
FAT SEXY said:

BO297 said:

Beeville
George west
Sinton
Orange grove (really Sandia on a few acres)
Goliad
All good country towns

Port Aransas
Rockport
Nice coastal communities.

Those are in no particular order. Just ones to look at and see what you prefer

Do you have any opinion on Mathis? I like its location. Good proximity to a lot of different areas around CC Bay while also being situated right next to Lake CC.
I'm from Orange Grove originally, and I would never live in Mathis. Plus, the best BBQ in town moved to Sinton, and the second-best BBQ in town sold out.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
a.froman
AG
I am assuming you mean hurricanes. Yes, you probably have fewer issues, but it actually depends on the size of the hurricane and path. Refugio got blasted with wind for really the first-time during Hurricane Harvey in 2017 because Harvey came through Port Aransas and Rockport but then the path put it over Copano Bay and it restrengthened. Copano Bay from Refugio is approx. 20 miles. Weird deal. However, it that is a worry, OG, Beeville, Goliad, George West, Three Rivers, and Skidmore would probably be a little safer.
Owlagdad
What about Woodsboro? Not much to the town. Schools, I think are strong and best of all, you could build in Bayside, right on Copano Bay. Not a bad drive on 188 to Rockport.
JCO 90'
AG
I actually like Three Rivers, although it would be nice to add a few businesses and a couple of restaurants besides Tex-Mex. I am moving back there after living in Central Texas - where I grew up - for the last couple of years.

It's a nice quiet town for the most part. There is a lot of community spirit and support for the school district from the locals, although I can see how many people coming from bigger cities for oilfield work would be bored there. For a nice quiet family life, though, it's great. I also like George West, which is a few miles down Highway 281 from Three Rivers.

Through my previous job, I became familiar with several communities in Refugio County (Refugio and Woodsboro), Goliad, San Patricio County (Mathis, Sinton, Gregory-Portland, Odem, Taft), Beeville and Rockport and McMullen County (Tilden). Each have their strengths and drawbacks, so it depends on what an individual or family is looking for when deciding on a location.

I will miss Central Texas, but family comes first, and Live Oak County is where I have the family members I'm closest to.

I also know from having lived in Three Rivers/Live Oak there are great people there, and water recreation with Choke Canyon Reservoir and a paddling trail on the Nueces River. Plus, it's a little more than an hour (or less, depending on how fast you drive) to San Antonio or Corpus Christi if you need access to the big city amenities.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.