Best small towns near corpus

10,758 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by JCO 90'
aggieSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are some of the best small towns in south texas to live in within an hour or so from corpus?

Towns like George west, beeville, Alice, agua Dulce etc would you want to live in any of these towns or is corpus better?
YouBet
AG
Rockport is 30 min away.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Depends on your situation and what you value.

We wanted access to things that small towns just don't offer, such as good offerings for medical needs, well stocked grocery stores, etc. so instead of moving to Orange Grove, we moved to Corpus. We work from home so we could go wherever we wanted. If your job is in Corpus, but you live in a small town, the commute is something else to consider. My mom drove from Bluntzer to Kingsville every morning growing up.

If you value land and the freedom to do what you want, or you have kids and want them to be able to experience everything that their school will have to offer, maybe a small town would be for you. Pros and cons to both and there's not a right answer IMO.
aggieSO
I actually live in San Antonio right now and prefer small towns over suburbs or city life (I know corpus isn't a big city).

I actually have some family near beeville, I like that area but I was curious to hear what thoughts were from people who live in that part of the state. Not much info online I could find
Ag with kids
AG
Live on N Padre Island...it's LIKE it's own small town. But with a beach.
Potcake
AG
You have a really focused posting history.
aggieSO
This seems to be a good website for off topic discussion. I don't think y'all would like my football takes… lol
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't know what you are looking for in all this, but I know you won't find it in Three Rivers.
Ag with kids
AG
aggieSO said:

This seems to be a good website for off topic discussion. I don't think y'all would like my football takes… lol
You might also look at the Portland/Gregory area. I live on the Island and work on the Bluff and our IT guy lives in PG...

It seems like a decent area when I'm driving north to Long Mott.
will.mcg
AG
You're really confusing me by calling it Portland/Gregory & PG.

I don't care that much but it's Gregory/Portland or GP.
Ag with kids
AG
will.mcg said:

You're really confusing me by calling it Portland/Gregory & PG.

I don't care that much but it's Gregory/Portland or GP.
Fair enough...I don't go out that direction often enough to pay much attention.

I think the Bluff is far enough away from the Island...
AnScAggie
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I don't know what you are looking for in all this, but I know you won't find it in Three Rivers.
This is hilarious, I drive through Three Rivers every couple of weeks headed to the ranch or back home. You do have a great liquor store though. Will add, what you are looking for is not in San Diego or Benavides either.
aggieSO
Why is that? Three rivers seems like a nice town to me
Ag with kids
AG
aggieSO said:

Why is that? Three rivers seems like a nice town to me
There's a TOWN? I thought it was just a Travel Center.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I worked in the Valero as a contractor many times, so that might have some influence on this subject. Pretty much everyone I talked to there was just sour and hated it there. Ask them, hey, what's the best restaurant around here? They say, 'none of them. They all suck.' Ask what there is to do around the area and they say, 'leave.' Seemed more like an oilfield town with a bunch of contract workers that were just collecting a check until it was time to go back to wherever home is.

George West was quite the opposite and just a short drive away. People were friendly and proud of their city.
aggieSO
Ok cool, thank you. I didn't think the two towns were all that different but sounds like George west has more of that community spirit I am looking
Lola68
Sinton. Home of Butter's BBQ. Best brisket I have ever tasted.
fav13andac1)c
AG
They finally made the move? How's the new restaurant doing there?
Lola68
They are open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Been open since September 23, and there are lines every weekend. Unfortunately, I can no longer eat any other brisket. The corn or elote is also excellent.
CC09LawAg
Is it a "Get there at 8 AM" type experience? Or are you good to show up at a normal lunch time?
Lola68
No. If you get there around 11, you should be good. Or if you go in after 1. The line moves fast.
CC09LawAg
Thanks! Planning on visiting soon.
Lola68
They open at 11 Friday and Saturday and at 9 on Sunday. On Saturday they sell beef ribs and on Sunday they sell barbacoa.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Gotta give Rockport a look, we are growing! Only downside to Gulf Coast (of Texas, La, Miss, Ala, or FL) is the invasion of the DAMN RV LIVIN' Yankees, they are the WORST!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
YouBet
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Gotta give Rockport a look, we are growing! Only downside to Gulf Coast (of Texas, La, Miss, Ala, or FL) is the invasion of the DAMN RV LIVIN' Yankees, they are the WORST!
Rockport is pretty kickass IMO. I do worry about the RV crowds. We've had several conversations with Yankees who were literally just passing through in RVs, stayed, and never left.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Wait until you go fishing and they follow you around and watch through binoculars to see what kind of rig/bait you are using…especially if you are catching fish.
Ag with kids
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Winter Texans...

They invade my island too.

But, they rent my condos during the winter so, I can put up with them. Eh...
BO297
Beeville
George west
Sinton
Orange grove (really Sandia on a few acres)
Goliad
All good country towns

Port Aransas
Rockport
Nice coastal communities.

Those are in no particular order. Just ones to look at and see what you prefer
Whitehouse Road
AG
Just moved to Rockport this summer from Fort Myers. I'll be interested to see if season is as bad here as it is there. Sure can't be any worse.
YouBet
AG
Whitehouse Road said:

Just moved to Rockport this summer from Fort Myers. I'll be interested to see if season is as bad here as it is there. Sure can't be any worse.
Which season?
Reel Aggies
AG
Bishop is not the answer either
Whitehouse Road
AG
"Season" was when all the snowbirds came down for the winter.
YouBet
AG
Whitehouse Road said:

Yeah, Rockport is much more sporadic in my experience. Probably because most people with second homes there are from Texas. No need to escape harsh winters.
Ag with kids
AG
YouBet said:

Whitehouse Road said:

Yeah, Rockport is much more sporadic in my experience. Probably because most people with second homes there are from Texas. No need to escape harsh winters.
The Winter Texans come to Port A and N Padre...in droves...
YouBet
AG
Ag with kids said:

YouBet said:

Whitehouse Road said:

The Winter Texans come to Port A and N Padre...in droves...

We seem to avoid that in Rockport. We are usually only ones on the canal in the fall.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.