Best hole in the wall seafood up and down coast

27,308 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tree91
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Owlagdad said:

Hearing Old Fulton Seafood Cafe is a must. Anyone been there? Cant believe I sent newbies to Rockport and they found it before us.
Did it today. It was just ok.
Owlagdad
Staying with natives. Got shrimp off boat and boiled some, some with garlic and real butter. Best all trip. Ate on island, $130 later, homemade still best.
woodyhayes
Second Gilhooleys. As a Crystal Beach resident, most of us don't go to Stingaree. Cool place for tourists, but an hour wait for mediocre, overpriced food isn't so great !
Owlagdad
They roll up the streets in Rockport at 6 on Sunday evenings. We wanted Mexican after all the seafood- all closed!
Went to new place called Wild Prawn. Asian flair. Everyone's shrimp was good. I had a brisket bowl that was pretty good. Not that pricey. Service was good!!
YouBet
AG
Owlagdad said:

They roll up the streets in Rockport at 6 on Sunday evenings. We wanted Mexican after all the seafood- all closed!
Went to new place called Wild Prawn. Asian flair. Everyone's shrimp was good. I had a brisket bowl that was pretty good. Not that pricey. Service was good!!

Great to know! We saw this on our drive in on Friday and got excited about it.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Y'all convinced me to try Shempy's.

This what I found today:

Owlagdad
Still no help down there? That's the pits.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
We ended up at Paradise Key for dinner. They - and pretty much everything else that was open - were doing good Saturday night.

But I guess for a small place, one or two people with problems can create a workforce shortage.
YouBet
AG
That sucks but is not surprising at all. The last couple of times we've been down there we've had to actually drive around a bit to find open restaurants. We spent one day driving a circle from Rockport, to Ingleside, to AP, and ultimately back to Rockport to get food at HEB. The few places open were so swamped because most were closed you couldn't get in anywhere.
Owlagdad
Headed to Port A this weekend. Told the wife maybe we ought to eat our big meal at lunch to avoid closures.
Sweep4-2
Fish Spot in Texas City on 20th Street. It's located in a 'neighborhood' of sorts that backs up to the oyster/shrimp boats (and hidden by storage units).

Cheap seafood and burgers, a true 'local' place. As soon as we walked in the kid at the bar said "So, your first time here?" Food was good, beer was cold and price was low.
Owlagdad
Did Grumbles tonight at Port A. Not exactly dive. But new ,great atmosphere, we watched weigh ins at Fishermen's wharf while we ate. Walk in and order and find your seat. Food was good, but have had better. Burgers that came out looked good, so kids can skip seafood. Not real pricey.
GSPag`
Mama's Kitchen at Marty's Landing in POC is solid on their fried foods. Very reasonably priced, but definitely a carry out place.
Potcake
AG
I've eaten breakfast at Marty's but dinner at Cathy's a couple of times. So much food and really good.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Owlagdad said:

Found out Mac's Pit Barbecue is one of the few open on Monday. Not bad, beef ribs were worth a try. Just down the street from Rock Bottom.
busdriver88
AG
I love this thread. Planning on building down there in five years, and I cannot wait!!!!!!
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
Brush Country Ag
AG
Gnarly Marlin is open on Sundays and Mondays. It's right by Cove Harbor. It's okay…about a 3 out of 5 star.

Bar is okay.
Lola68
My favorite spot in Rockport is the Boiling Pot. It's probably not for everyone, you eat with your fingers. But in the spring they have oysters and crawfish to go with shrimp and crab. And the beer is always very cold.
Red Pear Medina
Sponsor
AG
Lola68 said:

My favorite spot in Rockport is the Boiling Pot. It's probably not for everyone, you eat with your fingers. But in the spring they have oysters and crawfish to go with shrimp and crab. And the beer is always very cold.
Ours too. If we're within an hour of Rockport, we drive for a meal.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
robbio
Mickey's Bar and Grill. Aransas Pass, texas
Tarponfly
AG
RK said:

Chili Willies - Arroyo City
This times 1,000,000.00. Maybe the best burgers on the Texas Coast and great live music on weekends
davido
AG
Surprised not to see Black Diamond Oyster Bar in CC on here. Seems to check all of the boxes. Not on the water, but the food is solid and it's a little HITW.
aggie59
AG
davido,introduced my kids to oysters on the 1/2 shell at the Black Diamond Oyster Bar in Corpus in about 70-71. The guy shucking in the kitchen had to come out and see these kids that were eating all these oysters.All 4 became Aggies('84-'89) as did all of my grandchildren who are now working on the 4th generation .Someone Mentioned Kings Inn which is in Loyola Beach. I first ate there in 1960 when my wife was living and teaching in Kingsville before we were married.They had a Juke-box ,small dance floor, wooden with a post in the middle,dim lights which made it romantic and great seafood. Still eat there ocasionally, but the ambiance of the early 60s are greatly missed' Ownership has changed a couple of times
fav13andac1)c
AG
Question related to the topic. Do these coastal restaurants get their seafood from the gulf? Just curious if anyone has any insight into the sourcing logistics.
Brush Country Ag
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Question related to the topic. Do these coastal restaurants get their seafood from the gulf? Just curious if anyone has any insight into the sourcing logistics.

I think some of the better ones source locally or get fresh seafood from up and down the coast. There are some , however, that buy their seafood from suppliers such as Sysco.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Interesting. Any insight into the ones that source fresh?
Potcake
AG
We were in Sea Isle earlier this week and ate twice at the West End Marina. Also went there in September. Every meal was excellent. They use flounder for fish & chips, so damn good.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I sure miss Barkett's in Seadrift.

F you, Harvey.
ShawnTxAg
AG
So is Benno's the spot for Galveston?
Agasaurus Tex
AG
I would chose Shrimp N' Stuff (39th and Ave O) over Benno's. They both pretty much offer the same menu.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I like Sonny's Place in Galveston too. Pretty cozy old family-run joint. Think it's the longest continually run restaurant on the island.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
+1 for Sonny's. A Galveston institution and Junior (the owner) is the best. The place looks a little shady from the outside but is 100 percent family friendly.
Krazykat
AG
Agasaurus Tex said:

+1 for Sonny's. A Galveston institution and Junior (the owner) is the best. The place looks a little shady from the outside but is 100 percent family friendly.

Do they still have shuffleboard? It has been since the 80's that I was there.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Yep, shuffleboard table is still there.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Howdy, Rockport resident here. Pretty much whatever one has said, WE HAVE A WORKER SHORTAGE, so many of our restaurants may not provide the food or service you might expect. However going to put in a plug for a place near us, Sinton, that has GREAT Italian food. Cavaleri's in Sinton is outstanding, call 361-587-3388 to insure they are open. Excellent food.

Also of note in Sinton, one of the Texas Monthly Best BBQ in Texas joints, forget the name, has moved to Sinton. Open Friday to Sunday, excellent BBQ. Edited to add that it is Butter's BBQ.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.