The Grove - Tyler

8,519 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jmm
WGAF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's kind of like saying, "no offense but" Then you can say whatever you want and the person can't be offended!!

And I just said it's a woman game because the only time I have ever played it is with my wife and her sisters. We play washers at our tailgate and all the BBQ cookoffs I do, there is usually a washer tournament along with many late night drunken games. Just never see any bean bags I guess.
AGC
AG
It's cornhole in South Carolina too (pretty sure most SEC country calls it that).

And we should definitely get a game going with some beers on that lawn sometime.

Also from what one of the waiters said, they had so many people coming they decided to just open so that's why you're getting with all of the mixed messages. It took so long to get that place going that perhaps it's nice to have some cash flow (even though the owner isn't hurting at all for it).

I think they're also way ahead of themselves with the tshirts and hats for sale. A little ambitious to think you have that much cache when you open.
Dro07
AG
Sometimes I love the business sense of some people in town. One of the things i really enjoy(ed) about stanleys was that it was small and they crafted their menu. Started small and the food brought people in, then they started to expand with live music and opening up at night and make the atmosphere. These new places try to make an atmosphere in town but can't sustain it because the food is just an after thought.

Stive
AG
Who owns the Grove?
Dro07
AG
quote:
Who owns the Grove?
I thought you did?
WGAF
Michael Herd, Bob Herd's grandson
Dro07
AG
along with Berry and Clay. Well initially, I don't know if thats still the case
WGAF
I've always just heard it referred to as "Michael's restaurant"

I'm sure others could be involved but I have no idea if there is or not.
Dro07
AG
B&C could have backed off after the initial set up so it could just have been his. Explains the departure of the initial idea/design.
AGC
AG
quote:

I've only heard about Michael.
suprafly03
AG
quote:

Yeah, I've only heard michael too. It was Bobs land that it now sits on.

I wish I had a Grandfather that could subsidize my adventures...way to suck at life PawPaw...
Dro07
AG
From my recollection, 2013 and many beers since, someone at B&C is married to the Herd Family.
Dro07
AG
Wait... you fools aren't rich?!
AggieGunslinger
AG
This is TexAgs, if you don't drive a Rolls and fly on a private 727 you are LOLPoors.
Dro07
AG
My people

VAXMaster
AG
Finally gave them a try this week. Facilities are very nice. Food is pretty good but nothing approaching quality on par with the pricing. $30 for a plate of fried chicken is about $20 over priced for example. Crab claws were the best I've ever had but other than that everything else was pretty good at twice the price. Three of us got out of there for just under $200 with no alcohol and no dessert. In my opinion once the novelty wears off they are going to have a hard time making it in Tyler if they don't improve the food or lower the prices.
AGC
AG
Sounds like I set my expectations appropriately. Will stick to lunch.
jmm
Ate there last night. The food was very good. Had buffalo meatloaf, fried chicken, captain crunch shrimp, lamb lollipops, wine and beer. Dinner for 3 was $175 including tip. The place was packed on a Monday night.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.