The Grove - Tyler

8,548 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jmm
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Driving down Old Jacksonville Hwy (Inside the loop) yesterday, and noticed the sign for The Grove. Still under construction, but I found a Facebook page. Anyone know anything about it?

https://www.facebook.com/TheGroveTyler/
tx.agg.96
AG
interested.
Dro07
AG
If its what i think it is i will probably never step foot in that place.
Post removed:
by user
Josepi
AG
quote:
If its what i think it is i will probably never step foot in that place.

What do you think it is?
Dro07
AG
I don't know about Brewer but mine are work related
jickyjack1
With the new Dakota, the Jack Ryan Steakhouse and the steakhouse Mr. Herd is opening, what Tyler needs is another high-end dining facility just as the reality of life without a job is seating in to many who would normally float in that atmosphere.

The (smile sweat smile) word is that Tyler has diversified and is not as vulnerable as it was before to O&G fluctuations. While this, thank goodness, is true, oil and gas prices continue to sometimes edge, sometimes plunge downward, with no promise of a bottom. From what one reads it seems the Saudis have a death grip on the throttle in a world-wide game of Chicken.

Many things could happen, but locally the ripples are beginning to affect the pond.

Fifty dollar steak, anyone?
buy_dont_lease
AG
Why all the cryptic ruminating? Sounds interesting, might be too off-the-wall, but maybe not. Glad Tyler is getting to point where we have more options for dining and entertaining experiences.
Stive
AG
So what do some of you think it is? It claims farm to table, fresh crafted food of some sort, but the Facebook page reveals little else.

As far as Tyler's economy, the oil and gas situation won't be good for Tyler but it won't hurt it near as much as the 80's. The medical and legal communities here are strong enough to keep Tyler from coming to a screeching halt like it did 30 years ago.

Now Longview and Kilgore on the other hand.......
Dro07
AG
It will be a place that will go out to the local farmers and buy their produce directly. Charge a huge price for fresh orange juice etc. Fresh food everyday type thing so they will charge premium prices for it. They wanted to be an "exclusive" place so the menu prices will show that.

Stive
AG
Ah......someone taking some liberties with your design ideas?
Dro07
AG
they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I will swing by it next week and see if its anything similar to what i remember it.
Ringo88
AG
dromo07,
Again, for someone who hasn't lived there in quite awhile......what do you think it is, or is imitating?
VAXMaster
AG
Still not open but Facebook page has had a review up for weeks. Pro tip: wait till you open before you start posting fake reviews on your site.
Josepi
AG
quote:
Still not open but Facebook page has had a review up for weeks. Pro tip: wait till you open before you start posting fake reviews on your site.
Doubt they are fake reviews. I've already dined there as have lots of our friends.
suprafly03
AG
quote:
quote:
Doubt they are fake reviews. I've already dined there as have lots of our friends.
Yep!
VAXMaster
AG
So what's the story? How are so many people eating at a place that isn't open?
Josepi
AG
They have had at least two soft openings to train the staff
Dro07
AG
Happens at a lot of restaurants actually. They tend to have soft openings for friends and family then usually special guests type stuff. Our office usually gets invites to places that we have worked on. Jack Ryan's has been my fav so far.

Places is different from what I envisioned it would look like. I will prob wait awhile before we go out there to try it out.
RockOn
It's open. I ate there Sunday evening.

Good food and nice venue. Will have to try more of the menu to know for sure
WGAF
I spoke with the owner Friday and he said he was going to go ahead and open because so many people were showing up anyways.
AGC
AG
quote:

Ate there for lunch today. Agree with this assessment. Though us poors have to park a long way from the entrance. The outside area is great and completely buffered from road noise.
suprafly03
AG
quote:
quote:

Ate there for lunch today. Agree with this assessment. Though us poors have to park a long way from the entrance. The outside area is great and completely buffered from road noise.

Saw that you were there on FB! Going tonight too!
buy_dont_lease
AG
Went today after church (~10:45) to check out the brunch since people were saying it was open. Checked the website and facebook page to see if hours were posted, but didn't see anything definitive. We went anyway because we thought we could always keep driving if it looked closed, but it was open. We walked up with two other groups, and the host had to turn us all away because they were only seating people in the outdoor area and were "at capacity," and said that eating there was by reservation only. It looked like 20 people were out there, if that. There were so few people seated and eating, that I first I thought the host was joking when he said they were at capacity. The other groups were more upset and left in a huff (I don't totally blame them). I stayed for a minute to speak with the host, and ask him about the setup. He explained they were still working things out, and said they changed their opening time for brunch three times just this weekend. In fact, he still couldn't really give a straight answer as to when they'd open for brunch in the future, but apparently they opened at 9:00 today. He also recommended always having a reservation to ensure getting seated, and not just for brunch. He didn't have a lot of information, but I blame ownership/management; it can't be fun to turn people away at the door with no real information to offer.

I'm still confused about what they're trying to do there. The bar area looked very impressive; in fact the whole place looked very, very nice. But the lack of information is an issue. I get that they opened earlier than expected and are working issues out, but I think they ought to update their facebook page and website to explain what is going on, offer business hours, and warn people in advance if reservations are necessary. Also, we went to the market area to see about getting some picnic food (we were headed to the rose garden after brunch, so we figured this wasn't a terrible backup option). Two coffees, two waters, two premade sandwiches, a container of mixed fruit, a container of hummus, and a single serving sized bag of pretzel chips was $50. That's Disney World prices! If it wasn't for the fact that we had a fussy baby and needed to get on with our day, we would have walked out. Upside, the hummus was good.

I'm not impressed so far, and while I can be reasonable that we went to check them out before all the kinks were worked out, for as much as they want people to spend there, our first experience was very disappointing. We're going to wait a good while before they get things together to give it a second chance.
Josepi
AG
Nice report.

I did see that they have a cornhole area with about six boards. Could be fun to get a few beers and play cornhole.
WGAF
Yeah I always give places a few months to work kinks out before going. Plus in Tyler, anytime a new place opens it stays packed for awhile.
WGAF
quote:
Nice report.

I did see that they have a cornhole area with about six boards. Could be fun to get a few beers and play cornhole.

What the hell is cornhole? If you are referring to the game with bean bags and a board with one hole then in Texas we call that bean bags, I guess you may be from the Midwest though!

I heard there are also washers, not sure if that's true or not. I was suppose to meet the owner up there last weekend for a drink while I was in town but had something else pop up so I'm just getting secondhand info for now.
Dro07
AG
I usually only play cornhole with women.
Stive
AG
I've lived in Texas my whole life and I've never heard it called beanbags.....just cornhole. And every set up I've ever seen at a tailgate or bar referred to it as cornhole as well.
WGAF
I really don't have any clue..I've only heard to it referred to as bean bags by my sister-in-law and her girl friends, because it's a women's game. I think I heard some game day announcers call it cornhole once wish is why I figured that's what he was talking about.

Grab some washers or gtfo!
Stive
AG
Interesting. I've seen WAY more men play at tailgates and bars than women.....probably by a 10-1 ratio.

Guess there's always going to be someone coming in that's too cool for what's going on.
WGAF
Interesting. Honestly bean bags are fun if you are playing with some girls. But I just prefer playing washers. It's more challenging and I like to play games that require a little more skill.

Sorry that I upset you Mr. Stive, cornhole master!!!
Stive
AG
Nah, I'm not upset. I thought the comment to Josepi seemed a little snide, but honestly you were probably just having fun and I read it wrong.

And yes, I'm the master of many things.....might as well put that on the list as well.

WGAF
Yeah, I was just messin around. I really do like "bean bags" just never really heard of it referred to as cornhole.

Hopefully The Grove turns out to be a cool place. Hate that I missed getting to check it out last weekend when I was back home for a golf tournament.

You guys hold down T-town for me!
Josepi
AG
Born and raised in Texas. I've heard both bean bags and cornhole, but the first time I played, the people I played with called it cornhole, and I guess that stuck with me.

I've also never considered it a woman's game. All the warehouse dudes at our Dallas office play every Friday. Every tail gate I've attended, it almost exclusively guys playing

And he did use the winky face in his first post, so according to TexAgs etiquette, I'm pretty sure that allows you to say anything you want without anyone getting mad.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.