2024 Tropics

7,159 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by PJYoung
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

GFS brings it in as a Cat 2 around Port Mansfield or so Sunday morning to mid-day
Duckhook
AG
Official forecast still has it as a tropical storm coming in just south of the RGV. But everything seems to be trending north with each new update.
[url=https://ibb.co/LpvX381][/url]
Charpie
AG
Y'all be safe
Duckhook
AG
Last 2 updates have it coming in just south of the border. I won't be too surprised if it doesn't change a whole lot going forward. Good news is that they have it coming in as a tropical storm. Supposed to get beat up by dry air and wind shear.
PJYoung
AG
Latest update has it reaching hurricane status in the gulf.

I would be pretty surprised if that doesn't happen.

Levi is always really good:

Duckhook
AG
I'm not planning on boarding windows at this point. Hope it doesn't spin up real quick once it comes off the Yucatan.
RGV AG
AG
Based on my recollections, which aren't always that accurate, if it gets torn up over the Yucatan and comes out as a blob what I remember happening with those storms is that they tend to drift further westward before intensifying. The storms that rush across the Yucatan and remain decently formed tend to pull further north. Where it comes across the Yucatan is going to be real interesting.

Water in the Bay of Campeche and mid gulf is pretty warm.

By the shifting track and ambiguity it seems to me that the forecasters aren't particularly confident on all these things.
RGV AG
AG
Looking at the historical track of Allen in 1980, this one is a little bit due south of where Allen ran. Not that I am comparing the storm and storm strengths. As August is always a riskier month for Hurricanes. But the track is one that has historically happened a few times.

If it does come into N. Mexico or STX, I hope it isn't too strong. I have a gut feeling it is gonna end up north of the RGV.
Duckhook
AG
RGV AG said:

By the shifting track and ambiguity it seems to me that the forecasters aren't particularly confident on all these things.

I really don't think the Gulf Coast landfall track has shifted much at all the last 3 days. Pretty much pointed towards Northern Mexico/South Texas since at least Sunday when I really started paying attention.

And I'm talking about the NHC forecasts. I pay more attention to them and trust them more than others.
PJYoung
AG
RGV AG said:

Based on my recollections, which aren't always that accurate, if it gets torn up over the Yucatan and comes out as a blob what I remember happening with those storms is that they tend to drift further westward before intensifying. The storms that rush across the Yucatan and remain decently formed tend to pull further north.
That's absolutely how it works.

The weaker the storm, the more west it gets and the stronger storms tend to get pulled further north.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Duckhook
AG
[url=https://ibb.co/W0nW1SH][/url]
Well, I think I might be putting some boards up this weekend unless there's a big change on Friday.
Duckhook
AG
Whoa, pretty big jump north for landfall with the newest advisory.
[url=https://ibb.co/JFy8bX8][/url]
PJYoung
AG
Guidance slowly moving north now
RGV AG
AG
Where and when it comes off the Yucatan is going to be the lynch pin in this deal, I do believe. Watching it on radar right now it appears that creeping northern motion it had for the last 12 to 18 hours has decreased a bit. But my dumbass ain't trained on this stuff.
Ag12thman
AG
PJYoung said:

Guidance slowly moving north now
Trending pretty badly for us down this way on the coast. This thing could go closer to Louisiana before it's said and done No one really knows. All I know is I'm getting ready for it as if I will get a direct hit.
El Presidente
AG
My advice at this point is simple.

Tapense pero no sean tapados.

This thing could go anywhere at this point. It may impact the RGV directly or indirectly. Prepare thyself either way.
Duckhook
AG
I'm a lot less worried about it now than when I went to bed at midnight last night, when it looked like it was going to track up the river. I was already thinking about some south and east facing windows I wanted to board. Not going to do any boarding up now with this 10 a.m. advisory. I think landfall might very well continue to shift north.
[url=https://ibb.co/sCs3GQX][/url]
[url=[/url]
PJYoung
AG
I would say wait until tonight if you can or even early Saturday morning.

When it reappears out in the gulf then the center will reorganize and it will be game on.

Pretty complicated at the moment but we should have a really good idea tomorrow morning early. I'm guessing we're in for some rapid intensification to a 3 if it stays out over the gulf for a Rockport/Corpus hit.

Ag12thman
AG
Quote:

When it reappears out in the gulf then the center will reorganize and it will be game on.
Totally agree with this. They probably are not sure where the center/eye will re-form after crossing the Yucatan.
Duckhook
AG
PJYoung said:

Saturday morning is always golf. Can't let something like a potential hurricane affect that!

I always (somewhat) jokingly say that I'm not going to put up any boards until the eye is at the mouth of the river. I could get it done Sunday if I really need to.
PJYoung
AG
Duckhook said:

PJYoung said:

Saturday morning is always golf. Can't let something like a potential hurricane affect that!

I always (somewhat) jokingly say that I'm not going to put up any boards until the eye is at the mouth of the river. I could get it done Sunday if I really need to.
Dude, I've had terrible back pain since Monday just jumping up out of a squat due to some surprise knee pain.

Don't take it for granted! Been playing 3-4 rounds a week for a long time.
Duckhook
AG
PJYoung said:

Duckhook said:

PJYoung said:

Dude, I've had terrible back pain since Monday just jumping up out of a squat due to some surprise knee pain.

Don't take it for granted! Been playing 3-4 rounds a week for a long time.

Logged 132 18-hole rounds last year. If there's not electricity in the air or icicles hanging off my nose, I don't miss too many available days to play.

Not to derail, but I've been doing this golf specific exercise program called Par4success since November of last year. It's made a world of difference in my flexibility, and has helped me both on and off the course. At 68, I'm testing out at swing speed +/- 100 mph, which is an increase of at least 4 - 5 mph since I started the program.

Back to Beryl. 1:00 advisory still has it tracking just offshore SPI, but a lot of chatter about it turning just a little bit more north before landfall.
PJYoung
AG
Ha I just looked it up - 130 rounds for me in 2023 and I was at 84 rounds (!) thru the end of June 2024 before this BS flared up.
PJYoung
AG
We outta the cone now. Doubt McAllen sees more than a tenth or two of rain. Heads up Rockport!

Dry air messing with it as well. They don't expect much organization for another 24 hours or so. Then it could get it's act together quickly as it approaches the coast Sunday.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung said:

Pretty complicated at the moment but we should have a really good idea tomorrow morning early. I'm guessing we're in for some rapid intensification to a 3 if it stays out over the gulf for a Rockport/Corpus hit.
Glad this was wrong.

The dry air from the upper level low to the west and 10-15 knot shear never let it do the rapid intensification thing. It was still a nasty blow for Houston for a weak hurricane.

They got whacked by an intensifying Cat 1. 2 million without power and 10+ inches of rain in spots.

I knew that 5 or 6 day forecast track was too good to be true for our empty water supply out west.
PJYoung
AG
Finally got some rain today!

Duckhook
AG
Got a good heavy rain in Harlingen between about 4 - 5:30. Had to have been at least an inch at my house.
PJYoung
AG
Tropical models still show nada thru August 7th but we are still 6 weeks away from peak hurricane season. Beryl was a whacky weird extreme aberration as a Cat 5 on July 2nd.

PJYoung
AG
Some models trying to bring a Cat 2 into the mid Texas coast late next week.

Waaaayyyy too soon to get worked up about it.
OXDL45
AG
I'm ready for the fall now.
PJYoung
AG
No GFS, let's not do this.

Monday to Friday next week

PJYoung
AG

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.