Why does the South Texas Board suck so much

5,639 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by OXDL45
El Presidente
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Every time I take a sabbatical from this place I come back to crickets. Why does the ST Board suck so much?

No comedy. No entertainment. No nothing. Puro viejito amargado ALV.
Charpie
AG
It's been dead for a few years
AggieOC
AG
El viejito erres tu ALV cabron.... lol

We need some of your old school BMW topics. Bring it back cabron!
RGV AG
AG
Pues yo ya llegue a middle aged amargado, todavia me falta para viejito pero hay voy. Falta chisme interesante, eso es todo..
Papa Joe
AG
Why am I getting vote for PSJA Board ads here?
Am I the only one?
I don't live anywhere PSJA.
RGV AG
AG
Politics are big business in the RGV, something or somebody wanted to see if you might be interested in participating in a Valley election, voting regs and requirements are fluid down here.
southernboy1
AG
Boy I wish I could post pics
AggieOC
AG
Nombreeee El Presidente mamon comes in here just to tease us.

Can't go wrong with some BBQ talk.

Have you all tried GW's in Pharr or Teddy's (Aggie Owned) in Weslaco yet?

Both made Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints in TX.
RGV AG
AG
Have heard good things about Teddy's, anyone have any recs of what is best to get.

FYI that place in LA Joya, on the left side of the HW as you head west, in town before the stripes, is pretty darn good and reasonable. It has tie ins to the old Butch's Meat Market that was outstanding BBQ in the 80s and early 90s, heard it was a son or a former employee.
El Presidente
AG
You weirdos do miss me.

Perhaps I'll make a triumphant return sometime soon. For now, consolense con que apareci.
rondis23
AG
Teddy's is Legit Good. Not as good as Eugene4x meat, but still good. Just not spectacular!
AggieOC
AG
RGV AG said:

Have heard good things about Teddy's, anyone have any recs of what is best to get.

FYI that place in LA Joya, on the left side of the HW as you head west, in town before the stripes, is pretty darn good and reasonable. It has tie ins to the old Butch's Meat Market that was outstanding BBQ in the 80s and early 90s, heard it was a son or a former employee.
The BBQ spot in La Joya is Felix Meat Market it has been around for years the pitmaster is Felix he is born and raised in La Joya. I've been going there for years as our family ranch is in Starr County my Pops likes stopping there to BS with Felix and eat some good BBQ. I'll have to looking into the Butch's Meat Market tie's its the first I hear that.

I've only had the brisket at Teddy's and it was good I hear them bragging of their chicken. But the few times I've been they have been out of the chicken.
RGV AG
AG
AggieOC said:

RGV AG said:

The BBQ spot in La Joya is Felix Meat Market it has been around for years the pitmaster is Felix he is born and raised in La Joya.
Yes, that is it and it is pretty darn good. Probably top 3 BBQ chicken I have ever had, maybe the best. Brisket is really good to. It is solid and better than most any place I am familiar with in the RGV.

Don't hold me to the tie in to Butch's, but that is what I heard from an old friend from Penitas.

The RGV is a dichotomy of BBQ, I have had some exceptional BBQ in the valley and also quite a bit of sorry ass BBQ. What makes the valley great for Mexican food works against it in terms of BBQ. By that I mean that in the RGV customers look for price first, quantity for that price second, and quality is third. Mexican places have it down to a science how to serve a really nice plate of food for a decent price. BBQ places are always more expensive, thus lesser volume.

In the 80's there was a place in Raymondville that was written up in the top 5 in one of the first Texas Monthly BBQ lists. The place used a true in ground pit and was very good, exceptional really. Butch's was really, really good too. Some of the best BBQ I ever ate was by the guy that had a long time pit and smoker that he hauled to the trade zone area of McAllen and would sell plates on the side of the road. He was written about in one of the community papers that used to exist and he was the only BBQ peddler, that I am aware of in RGV that would sell out and sell out early. He also did fajitas and such. He had a booming business. Sometime between 86'-92' those places all disappeared. Butch's burned down, that I remember, just can't remember when, that might have been late 80's. If I remember correctly it was on the south side of 83 across from where the Walmart is now in Penitas/Palmview.
El Presidente
AG
IHIOGA that not much is better than Eugene4x meat. #nohomo

Where the hell is Gene-O these days?
El Presidente
AG
Maybe they were out because it's so good, baboso. Duh.
AggieOC
AG
Pos si guey!!!

But doesn't take away from me not having the chicken so I don't know how good it is. Have you tried the chicken there baboso??
AggieOC
AG
You have a great point on the RGV Mexican food vs BBQ. In terms of price though it is hard to compare because meat has gotten so damn expensive.

You are very knowledgeable of the old BBQ joints around the RGV. Has me thinking if there is a good historian that knows more about BBQ in the RGV. Before competition BBQ was a thing I remember there being Fajita Cook-offs around the Mission-McAllen area.

carl spacklers hat
RGV AG said:

AggieOC said:

RGV AG said:

The BBQ spot in La Joya is Felix Meat Market it has been around for years the pitmaster is Felix he is born and raised in La Joya.
Yes, that is it and it is pretty darn good. Probably top 3 BBQ chicken I have ever had, maybe the best. Brisket is really good to. It is solid and better than most any place I am familiar with in the RGV.

Don't hold me to the tie in to Butch's, but that is what I heard from an old friend from Penitas.

The RGV is a dichotomy of BBQ, I have had some exceptional BBQ in the valley and also quite a bit of sorry ass BBQ. What makes the valley great for Mexican food works against it in terms of BBQ. By that I mean that in the RGV customers look for price first, quantity for that price second, and quality is third. Mexican places have it down to a science how to serve a really nice plate of food for a decent price. BBQ places are always more expensive, thus lesser volume.

In the 80's there was a place in Raymondville that was written up in the top 5 in one of the first Texas Monthly BBQ lists. The place used a true in ground pit and was very good, exceptional really. Butch's was really, really good too. Some of the best BBQ I ever ate was by the guy that had a long time pit and smoker that he hauled to the trade zone area of McAllen and would sell plates on the side of the road. He was written about in one of the community papers that used to exist and he was the only BBQ peddler, that I am aware of in RGV that would sell out and sell out early. He also did fajitas and such. He had a booming business. Sometime between 86'-92' those places all disappeared. Butch's burned down, that I remember, just can't remember when, that might have been late 80's. If I remember correctly it was on the south side of 83 across from where the Walmart is now in Penitas/Palmview.
The bolded part is very accurate. I would say that the top three considerations are quantity, quantity and quantity. Used to work in foodservice for a number of years, had a catering operation with the restaurant and bar and the number of times we were asked for a catered $8.00 enchilada dinner still makes me laugh. Of course a quick look at Valley demographics goes a long way to explaining the phenomenon. Also explains the proliferation of Chinese buffets, pizza buffets and taco stands. Volume trumps all other considerations.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
oldord
AG
I would posit that volume may come before price looking at all the fatasses in the Valley
OXDL45
AG
Spent 7 days in the Valley. Lots of great family time and good food. Realized how much I miss the place at times. Traveled to Mexico twice and had a great time on both trips. Retirement back home actually crept into my mind for once.

Happy New Year to everyone!
El Presidente
AG
Y sigue valiendo madre el south tx board.
EFE
AG
El Presidente said:

Y sigue valiendo madre el south tx board.
Shouldn't you be posting on the Aggieland board these days?
OXDL45
AG
There was an El Presidiente sighting in Aggieland last week.
EFE
AG
I thought they shut the dirty sock down years ago
OXDL45
AG
Not for VIPs.
EFE
AG
I thought it was because when you two pelones sat next to each other parece tetas
El Presidente
AG
y sigue valiendo chorizo el south texas board
OXDL45
AG
Merry Christmas to the RGV Aggies!

Always good to visit for a few days.
OXDL45
AG
Chorizo tacos???
El Presidente
AG
Your favorite! Especially if they leave it whole.
OXDL45
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.