Will Space X be launching to Mars from the RGV?

19,810 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by PJYoung
scottimus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everybody knows this is the best kept secret thread to be on!

Just like South Texas....
scottimus
AG
Watching this guy now....https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA927
scottimus
AG
It's there! Time to have fun...

I think one flap will fail....
PJYoung
AG
Looking like around 3:30pm today.
PJYoung
AG
More like 3:05!!!!
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Good static fire today. Looking for a launch this weekend.

scottimus
AG
Looks like we are back.

They had to switch out two motors I believe.

Elon said it should only take hours now to switch out a motor.

oldord
AG
Tommorow?
PJYoung
AG
oldord said:

Tommorow?

PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
Gonna try again tomorrow in better wind.

Thursday at the earliest.
scottimus
AG
When is the next one? Couldn't make the last...
Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
PJYoung
AG
Total guess but I'm gonna say March 1st ish
scottimus
AG
Looks like the TFRs might come back when the weather clears...
PJYoung
AG
Might happen this week.

scottimus
AG
GAMEDAY!

Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG

RGV AG
AG
That is wild, thanks for posting.

What have you heard in regard to local hiring and such? I had some renters at my place in PI that were there for about 8 months, the husband was some kind of certified crane guy or had something special regarding larger equipment. They had been told that he would be hired by SpaceX and to go ahead and move down here. The guy went through several visits and processes and a couple of drug tests etc. In the interim he was freelance working on the wind farm things, he made good money. After many months he took a job up near Lubbock as SpaceX wouldn't pull the trigger.

I know car dealerships in Brownsville have sold a few cars to Cali natives that are working at SpaceX, what they do is get a Texas DL and then buy a Texas car and drive it back to California, supposedly cheaper and don't have to have the emissions deal. Before the Covid I was on some flights with SpaceX people that go and come to CA every week, uugh.

Be interesting to see if they do actually do a bunch of hiring other than janitors, security guards and such from the local population. I hope so.
PJYoung
AG
Yeah it's super wild to see that place grow so fast and think about where it will be in a couple of years. I haven't heard anything about hiring. My lone connection is that one of our insureds is the main concrete contractor out there.

He's been suuuuuper busy as you can imagine.

PJYoung
AG
https://myrgv.com/local-news/2021/04/04/musks-invitation-to-relocate-may-further-burden-market/

Quote:

Even while the Federal Aviation Administration is taking a second look at SpaceX's Boca Chica rocket building/testing operation to determine if it's still within legally allowable parameters, the company's founder and CEO Elon Musk is plunging ahead with accelerated development of SpaceX's Starship Mars rocket.

To ramp up production and development even more, though, Musk needs more people beyond the 1,000 employees give or take now working on Starship at Boca Chica. On Tuesday, less than two hours after the Starship SN11 prototype blew up and deposited rocket parts around the launch site and vicinity near the end of an apparently otherwise successful flight test, Musk, who has 50.1 million Twitter followers, tweeted out a call for people to join him in South Texas.

"Please consider moving to Starbase or greater Brownsville/South Padre area in Texas & encourage friends to do so! SpaceX's hiring needs for engineers, technicians, builders & essential support personnel of all kinds are growing rapidly," he wrote.

Musk also predicted that Starbase, on the site of the current Boca Chica Village adjacent to the Starship production complex, "will grow by several people over the next year or two."

The only problem is, where are they going to live?

Nick Mitchell-Bennett, executive director of Come Dream Come Build, formerly the Community Development Corporation of Brownsville, said Brownsville is already suffering from a housing shortage without thousands more descending on the area practically overnight.

"I would love for the guy to invest in kind of a house trust fund," he said. "He's telling people to come down here. We don't have enough room for you right now."

Mitchell-Bennett said he's not opposed to the growth opportunity but that Brownsville and the area need to be smart about it and not repeat the mistakes of other cities that have experienced rapid growth.

And it goes on from there.
RGV AG
AG
That's funny right there, there is plenty of room, both developed and undeveloped, for folks to move to that area. I read the article this morning in the paper and thought que odd?

Actually there is a sheet ton of space available in PI, SPI, and Laguna Vista for people to live, also in Los Fresnos and Rancho Viejo.

Throughout this whole SpaceX deal, I have not had a lot of faith in it as I just can't see the dollars and cents making sense for what is going on and then to develop all the infrastructure needed and such, I just can't see the capital dollars ever being returned. But that is just me.

PJYoung
AG
Yeah I didn't get the article or this tweet.

RGV AG
AG
Since last year the market in PI has been very strong. I don't think it is SpaceX people as much as people retiring early and relocating to the area.

I own property in PI and the rental market has not been strong at all, which tells me it is wanna be permanent residents coming in.

Port Isabel just doesn't have a lot of properties period. LV is better.
PJYoung
AG
Starship to the moon

PJYoung
AG
SN15 might be launching this afternoon if the wind cooperates.
scottimus
AG
Reviving this thread since it is the original SpaceX thread on TexAgs!

I made it to try and bring more traffic to this board, but it looks like...politics got in the way, as usual.

Anyway, who is going Thursday to the launch?
carl spacklers hat
I likely won't try to make it tomorrow. Did the drive down on Monday, sat on the side of Hwy 48 past the second bridge headed to PI until they scrubbed the attempt. Heard folks who went to the Island took hours to get off.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
PJYoung
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

I likely won't try to make it tomorrow. Did the drive down on Monday, sat on the side of Hwy 48 past the second bridge headed to PI until they scrubbed the attempt. Heard folks who went to the Island took hours to get off.

We went on that same Monday and then again when it launched. My buddy has a great spot on PI so getting out wasn't bad.
Kunkle for Congress TX-34
Looking like 6-8 weeks until the next launch. Maybe a campaign rally at that one?

Anyone care to join?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
oldord
AG
Anyone else see the launch this morning?

Kind of anticlimactic imho
carl spacklers hat
oldord said:

Anyone else see the launch this morning?

Kind of anticlimactic imho
Anticlimactic for in-person viewing but a HUGE success for SpaceX. 49 minutes from launch to termination on re-entry. Watched the show on Everyday Astronaut. Incredible footage.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.