West Texas
Sponsored by

A question for Fossil Ag

18,071 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by fossil_ag
TayAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fossil Ag,
You always seem to know everything about West Texas, and I'm always facinated by your responses. I've always heard of the Permian Sea. I know that it was in the area of the Permian Basin, (duh, right?) but I've always wondered how far and wide that area once streched. Borden County has the cap rock, an area that looks like it had to have been formed by water, was that part of the Permian Sea as well? I've tried to find a map of the area, but I've come up empty handed. Thanks!
WestTxAg06
AG
Fossil, I think he's asking you because he thinks you were around back when the Permian Basin was a sea.

Seriously, though, I'll be anxious to hear this answer. If there is some place where I could find a geological history of West Texas, I'd love to know about it. If it concerns West Texas, it's almost a guarantee that I'm interested.
fossil_ag
AG
TayAg08 and WestTxAg06

The History of the Permian Basin ... now that is a tough assignment, even for a thesis or dissertation. Unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge or the time remaining on this earth to cover the subject to any depth. But what I do know about the subject will fit well within this thread ... and may aid you in further research.

First, over the years I have seen short articles about the PB history in such publications as National Geographic. But I am not aware of a book in popular format. Most of the information available is in geological terms ... which after all is the main feature of the Permian Basin.

To make this point I must take you back to the beginning in geologic time, say 250 billion years or so ago. This is the earliest map I have found of the Permian Basin:

As you may note, West Texas was somewhat different then. At that time West Texas was a part of Pangea along with Africe, North and South America and Greenland. It took a few million years of techtonic movement for Africa to go east, North America to rotate counter clockwise and move north, and Texas to end up somewhat in its present position but covered by the sea. Gradually with some uplifts from techtonic collisions, a meteor in what is now the Gulf of Mexico, and forces of wind and water erosion, Texas began to take shape. Eventually the sea covering West Texas was drained southward by uplifting of the bed and only an inland sea with a narrow opening covered West Texas. That sea lasted millions of years but eventually evaporation and drainage took more water out of the sea than was replenished and West Texas became the dry spot we now recognize.

Now during that time of inland sea over West Texas, subsidence became a big factor in creating a huge basin ... now estimated at 250 miles wide and 200 miles long. The sea floor became the final resting place for eons of dead water creatures ... all containing an element called Carbon. These deposits on the sea floor were hundreds of feet thick. After the sea eventually dried up that basin and its sediments were covered by soil eroding from surrounding mountains and blowing in from Lubbock, Plainview and Kansas. The combination of pressure, and the heat of compression created a nice oven to cook that sediment soup to create hydrocarbons of oil and gas.

Now I am sure most of you are familiar with the bottom of a sea ... or at least the bottom of your local lake to know that the bottoms contain reefs, canyons, shelfs, basins, ridges and platforms. The bottom of the Permian Sea was the same. Also, the Permian Sea did not dry up all at once but over the period of millions of years. So that is what created the market for the skills of geologists to map those old underwater structures in hopes of finding the location where the thickest and most likely oil bearing sediment beds were located.

So with that 250 billion years of history behind us we can look at the Permian Basin as we know it today.

Today the Permian Basin underlies the following counties in Texas: Andrews, Borden, Crane, Dawson, Ector, Gaines, Glasscock, Howard, Loving, Martin, Midland, Pecos, Reeves, Terrell, Upton, Ward, and Winkler. It underlies part of the Caprock country mentioned by TayAg08 and the Edwards Plateau. Although Scurry County is not on the list, the Snyder Field is commonly associated with it. Likewise, Mitchell County is not listed yet the location of the first well credited to the Permian Basin was drilled in 1921 in Mitchell County (Colorado City.)

Since that well in 1921, an estimated 40,000 exploratory wells have been drilled in the Permian Basin and 200,000 development wells. By 1993, 14.9 billion barrels of oil had been pumped from that region.

The fun part of the history of the Permian Basin is that the Republic of Texas and soon thereafter the State of Texas dedicated millions of acres of land to the Permanent School Fund and to the Permanent University Fund. But not carried away with this largesse, both identified that land as being those counties in West Texas considered to be a part of the Chihuahua Desert (i.e., the Permian Basin.)

Suggested Reading: (This is geologic technical but put on your technical filters and it scans pretty rapidly ... and it has some nice thumbnail illustrations.
http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/staff/scholle/guadalupe.html

[This message has been edited by fossil_ag (edited 9/15/2006 1:45p).]
Edit to change date of first well drilled in Permian Basin from 1821 to 1921. Took me 3 months to spot that error.

[This message has been edited by fossil_ag (edited 12/18/2006 7:57p).]
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
So I live on what used to be Oceanfront Property here in Midland?
TheSheik
AG
ocean bottom property. . .
fossil_ag
AG
The original Permian Basin Seafloor is now 5-6 miles deep. The property is still a good deal if the mineral rights convey.
TayAg08
Thanks so much!! I've always been curious about that! You are awesome!
texag_89
Fossil,

Would hate to see what you could do with SOME time and SOME knowledge:>

"And the Gates of Hell Shall Not Prevail Against It...."

texag_89
CanyonAg77
AG
Guys, the caprock formations are NOT old seashores. They are erosional formations.
fossil_ag
AG
CanyonAg77 is correct according to the Handbook of Texas.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/CC/rxc1.html

"CAPROCK. The cap, or hard layer, underlying the Llano Estacadoqv is a major geological feature known to Texans as the Caprock. It is not a rock layer in the usual sense of the term but is more technically a "hard-pan" layer that developed a few feet below the ground as highly mineral subsoil particles cemented themselves together to form a rock-like layer that resists erosion. Although the name Caprock technically applies only to the formation itself, the expression is often loosely used to mean the whole Llano Estacado. The Caprock escarpment was formed by erosion about one million to two million years ago. Prehistoric nomadic hunters, Plains Apaches, and Comanches lived in the region. The Spanish explorer Vásquez de Coronadoqv traveled the area in 1541. The Caprock escarpment forms a natural boundary line between the High Plains and the lower rolling plains of West Texas. It stretches from the Panhandleqv into Central Texas and can be seen most prominently in Briscoe, Floyd, Motley, Dickens, Crosby, Garza, and Borden counties, where it reaches its highest elevations, rising abruptly above the plains at 200, 500, or as much as 1,000 feet. The east-facing wall is often cut by rivers, forming canyons such as Palo Duro Canyon."

However, my assumption is that the material that eroded to reveal the Caprock formation over the eons was in large part the material that filled in the Permian Basin. And over the eons that the Permian Sea receded to the south I figure the Caprock formation at some time or other formed the northern shore of the sea. Just my hunch.
CanyonAg77
AG
My semi-educated guess is that the high plains were the seafloor, and were uplifted when the rockies came into being.

At some point the sea receded, so almost any point on the high plains was "seashore" as well as sea bottom at some point. But I don't think you could go back into time and see the sea lapping at the walls of the Palo Duro Canyon.

If you could float in space and watch a movie of a few million years, I think you'd see a flat featureless plain rising when the rockies were uplifted, and the seashore receding to the east. The whole area would be a fairly flat plain sloping west to east, with the coastline at Abilene or Gatesville and eventually Houston.

As the heavy rains of former ages fell, creeks and rivers would form, draining the plains. These (and wind erosion) would cut into the area now known as the rolling plains, while the high plains would resist erosion due to the Caprock.

Eventually Palo Duro creek would cut through the caprock, and cut 800 feet deep into the softer underlying structure, forming the present canyon walls.

BTW, the bottom layer of Palo Duro, and the structure undrelying the Ogallala formation, is known as "Permian Red Beds".
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
But I don't think you could go back into time and see the sea lapping at the walls of the Palo Duro Canyon.

That would look pretty cool, though.

This is a wildly interesting subject, I might have to make the geology of West Texas one of my new hobbies.
Aggieopoly

[This message has been edited by Aggieopoly (edited 11/19/2006 3:40p).]
Newguy07
fossil_ag
AG
ttt

This thread is revived for the benefit of recent immigrees to West Texas ... and for possible contributions by persons with a bit higher degree of scientific knowledge of the Permian Basin geology than the original posters.
BrenTexAg74
AG
Wow
Fossil, I will always admire those that have the capability to use every word in the Webster's dictionary and put them into sentences that actually mean something and which everyone can understand.

You are one of the few that are cabable of such feats along with actually incorporating actual historical facts.

I am proud to be associated with you through Texags.

Discussions by you and maroon koolaide are some of my favorite things in life ( other than sex, my children, grandchildren and yes my parents)

Please keep them coming.

Wow again
mellison
AG
Most interesting!
c-jags
so what you're saying is that we're all a few thousand years too late of being california?

that sucks.
OdessaAg
AG
man, that was some pretty interesting stuff Fosil. Great job
fossil_ag
AG
This thread deserves a bump into present tense.
westtexastinman
As a resident of the aforementioned Permian Basin, I say thanks for the lesson, fossilman!
fossil_ag
AG
This thread seems to have died an unnatural death. A bit of history may help.
fuzzyfan
AG
I am gonna make my school age daughter and son read this thread. Very interesting.
FishrCoAg
AG
Glad to see you here fossil, saw your brother and his dog the other day!
powerbiscuit
Teddy KGB
AG
I was randomly searching for info on the Permian Sea and Fossil's second image showed up under the images section of Google.

I wasn't really paying close attention and was confused when Texags popped up after I closed the image. Just can't seem to escape the web this site casts.
fossil_ag
AG
Permian Basin? I just happen to have a thread on that subject. From a long ago.
fossil_ag
AG
This this thred deserves another break.
Hunter_812
powerbiscuit
Howdy fossil ag
TERRY L
Hello Fossil Ag!
fossil_ag
AG
Hi Terry. Long time since I heard from you. All is well I presume.
FishrCoAg
AG
Howdy fossil!
TERRY L
Hi Fossil

Everything is fine. Headed home this weekend to Mississippi to watch Dad raise his Aggie flag on the flagpole and watch the game.

His muscadine grapes are about ready to harvest so we'll be picking grapes after the game.

Hope you are doing okay.
CanyonAg77
AG
How is fossil doing these days?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.