West Texas
Sponsored by

Small town West Texas

38,445 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TAMUallen
Bucketrunner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Much prettier country between Abilene and San Angelo, near Robert Lee. Most scenery around Lubbock is a beating.
UTExan
Highly recommend Secrets of Texas youtube channel. He does all of Texas but his west Texas coverage is pretty decent. Here is his Ranger video

It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
gggmann
AG
Grew up in Big Spring, wouldn't recommend it.

WestTexasAg04
AG
An area most people don't consider west Texas that I've always liked is the San Saba, Llano and Mason area. I'd consider it more of the western edge of the hill country. Greener, nice hills, creeks and some rivers. And not full of yuppies like a lot of the hill country.
TheSheik
AG
as a self appointed Abilene cheerleader, I'll chime in...

I've been here since I got out of A&M in '81
check out the area
pretty good shopping
great restaurants - Perini's in Buffalo Gap, Beehive in Albany + Abilene, Rancho Loma in Coleman
lots of Churches
Education
Medical needs
all the other stuff

a bunch of Quality options
but not the Quantity of DFW

Very active A&M Club
the chance to be involved in more social and cultural crap if that's important to you

TequilaMockingbird
In the Abilene area-

Albany
Tuscola
TommyBrady
AG
Sounds like it checks a lot of boxes. We'll definitely check out the area. Being active in a A&M club is very important to us so this is pretty great.
UTExan
WestTexasAg04 said:

An area most people don't consider west Texas that I've always liked is the San Saba, Llano and Mason area. I'd consider it more of the western edge of the hill country. Greener, nice hills, creeks and some rivers. And not full of yuppies like a lot of the hill country.

There used to be a sign on the highway from Copperas Cove upon entering Lampasas: "Gateway to West Texas".
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
TheSheik
AG
TommyBrady said:

Sounds like it checks a lot of boxes. We'll definitely check out the area. Being active in a A&M club is very important to us so this is pretty great.

Abilene A&M Club
https://abileneamc.aggienetwork.com/

Facebook page - but you have to be approved to see post and members
https://www.facebook.com/groups/225476329101

uneedastraw
Moe 92 said:

jrwoodchuck said:

Entirely possible even though that was a bit after I graduated. I was probably working at USG in Sweetwater along about then. My tag line after "back in the day" stories is "...and beer was involved."
Fellow USG Sweetwater alumni, here - my first job out of A&M from 93 - 97 (when USG transferred me to NJ). Ever get a chance to check out the contents of Norman Painter's pockets? See Hugh's missle silo? For the record, those are NOT double entendres.

I assume accounting/finance? I applied for and accepted a job at USG in probably late '96 or early '97 at USG Sweetwater. I had originally applied as a senior in '94 at A&M but was rejected. Went to work for a company in Abilene right after graduation for low wage and then applied again a year later as it was a 100% raise. I accepted the offer but then was countered by my then current employer and probably made a bad decision to stay at the time and not join USG.
WestTexasAg04
AG
I like to think Eden as the gateway to West Texas. About five miles west of Eden as you're coming down from the edwards plateau is where it starts in my opinion. Landscape change there is very distinct.
figlet
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

Graduated from Borden County in 67. Have only been back to Gail a few times. I consider people able to live there blessed. Now in huge metroplex to be close to my kids, who have zero interest in small town life. I think many would retire back to those small towns except for the fact of family.

I played a football game against you guy in 1967.
c-jags
WestTexasAg04 said:

I like to think Eden as the gateway to West Texas. About five miles west of Eden as you're coming down from the edwards plateau is where it starts in my opinion. Landscape change there is very distinct.

Living in San Angelo was always interesting because if you went 50 miles in any direction you had a totally different landscape. East towards Eden and you hit the hill country. North towards Abilene and it became rolling plains and wide open country. South to Sonora and you got to the South Texas Brush. West to Odessa and nasty desert.
DipEmAndPickEm
LoudestWHOOP, thanks for the stories about old Katy. My family has been there since the beginning as well. My grandma's family ran a dairy farm by where the Memorial Herman at Grand Parkway is now. When the traffic on Hwy 90 got too busy to herd the cattle across, they moved it out to Schulenberg. There's a photo memorial to them in the library at the hospital now. My dad (c/o '91) played football for Katy around the same time as you. Many familiar stories.

After graduating in '16 I moved out to Midland for the oil business and don't think I'm leaving any time soon. My wife and I love the community we've found here and the quieter, simpler lifestyle. Katy has sadly become an endless expanse of suburbia and people trying to outdo each other. It would be hard to move back now.

Does the last name Guice ring any bells? Original Katy family was Ernstes.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
DipEmAndPickEm said:

Does the last name Guice ring any bells? Original Katy family was Ernstes.
Guice is vaguely familiar, Ernstes is absolutely familiar. Farm is on the other side of the tracks from us.
I am the 4th of five Roesners who went through Katy Schools from 1971 to 1989.
My older brother & younger brother were the punters at KHS, I was a LB/FB.
I played KHS varsity in 1983 & 1984. I was the guy who "died on the practice field." I got better.
Been in Midland since 1993.

OdessaAg
AG
jrwoodchuck said:

First off, let me say I never attended TAMU. However, I like to check in here every so often to see any news or what's going on in West Texas. I was born and reared in Hamlin and really enjoyed reading FossilAg's thread.

I'm on vacation right now (the first one in many years) and went to Hamlin's homecoming this past weekend. It was the second time I had been there in 47 years. It was a shock to see how the town has declined, although not completely unexpected.

I guess I'm interested to hear how your hometown has fared over the uhulk years, especially the small towns. And, as we all know, Friday night football in small town Texas still is king.

BTW, Hamlin won their game 32-6 over Hawley.

I haven't seen this post until now. I have some really cool memories visiting Hamlin as my uncles were the head coach and dc there in the early to mid 90's (I believe this wasn't too far after briles). Any who, sometimes I miss my West Texas roots while living in Spring, TX. I've been back to Odessa twice in about 10 years and it makes me nostalgic every time I go back. While I love living in the Houston metro, there's always a part of me that misses small town West Texas.
Fishing Fools
Rising Star got a new Stop Light and the intersection is now concrete.
UTExan
Fishing Fools said:

As well as the most distinctive city name in Eastland County.
LoneStarBQ
AG
I have lived in Midland most of my life. Not the prettiest place to look at, but I have said it's a great family place. Big enough to have most of the things you want and small enough to get across town in 20 minutes during rush hour.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
c-jags
Fishing Fools said:

They also are getting a new superintendent.
sanangelo
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

I came from a small town in SE Texas some of you may have heard of called Katy. The city limit sign read "Pop. 1,760" when we moved there in 1971. Since then it got bigger, a LOT bigger. Some say it has between 500k and 1M folks that use Katy as a mailing address. I recognize almost nothing but Cardiff's Rice drier, which I believe has a new name. It was always a sight for sore eyes after driving home after Aggie Games as a kid. My family was one of the original 10 families to settle there in the early 1900s.
We used to live in the "sticks" and now everyone does, so its not the "sticks" anymore. We used to sneak onto Cinco Ranch, when it actually was a "ranch" and fish the canals (oxbow lakes) for some of the best black bass from a "pond" you will find. (and believe me we looked) I found mammal fossils embedded in the creek bed wall and sent them to the Katy Outdoor learning center. We used to fish wherever we could get away with it, swim in Rice wells until someone used to run us off.
I can probably name of a half dozen occasions where I should have died while I was growing up. Snakes, Drowning, Lightning strike, Cerebral hemorrhages come to mind off the top of my head. But damn we had a lot of fun.
I played football for the coaching legend in Mike Johnston and Gary Joseph was an Assistant Coach, but we won 2 games in years when I was varsity. We are not mentioned much in the football lore of the Katy Tigers. I love the little town I grew in, but it is gone. I would not trade my growing up there for anything but you cannot live my childhood in Katy anymore.

BTW, I have lived in Midland now for over 25 years.

Class of 82 from KHS. Used to drive to Dorm 6 in 82 minutes from West Memorial up to Clay to Katy hockley to FM 529 to FM 359 past the concrete bull on the left hand side of the road just past Monaville. Someone always painted its nuts blue until around my senior year someone chiseled them off. stopped at the Shell Station in Hempstead and drove past the gigantic Marshall Chevy place dreaming of a new truck. After that, it got fairly bland to navasota and then to the speedway. Watched them build that new water tower on the south side of college station during latter trips.

We went from 3A to 5A between sophomore and junior year. Had no chance against Stratford, Memorial, westchester or even Spring Branch. I recall Farmer Stephens in the dark green or blue old ford coming at us on the cinco ranch when it was a ranch. A buddy was a dishwasher at the new Landrys. We'd borrow the dirty napkins and table cloths to make goose decoys. Ate a bunch of lunches and dinners at Nonmachers BBQ. There were beer bashes at the old stockdick school and a place called the door. My freshman year in college a new place for parties was created between Mason and Fry Rd called The Boxcars.

When I returned from my first USAF assignment in Guam circa 1990, I missed the Mason road exit. I didn't recognize it. In the mid-2000s the Vegetarian Indian Cuisine restaurant opened on Mason road. I didn't think it was going to last 6 months. The demographics changed, I guess. Last time I was there, the vegetarian Indian cuisine place was thriving. And Mr Nonmacher died but I heard a young couple is rebuilding the bbq experience there.

When I moved to Mason road it dead ended at Provincial circa 1973. Watched west memorial elementary get built and then the junior high next door. We were the first class to graduate from both. Our class was split in half in 10th grade to form Taylor. Most of my friends went to Taylor. I stayed at Katy. Rode bus #19 until I got a car. Worked at Westside Hardware for Frank Kammerlohr, one of my best mentors for teaching me business acumen.

I've lived in San Angelo for the past 18 years.
San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
The Fall Guy
AG
Grandma and Grandpa were both born in Talpa, Tx in Coleman county in 1915. They moved to Ballinger after getting married. Grandpa was stationed at Mathis field in San Angelo during WW2 and fixed airplanes because he was a tractor repairman. Dad was from Ballinger,Texas. Born in San Angelo, left Ballinger to go to A&M in 1962. We moved to San Angelo in 1977 and moved to the DFW area in 1984. Had our family ranch north of San Angelo and South of Robert Lee. Sold it in 1998. Worst day ever. I live in Kyle, Tx now and wish I could move back to the Angelo area.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
sanangelo said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

I came from a small town in SE Texas some of you may have heard of called Katy. The city limit sign read "Pop. 1,760" when we moved there in 1971. Since then it got bigger, a LOT bigger. Some say it has between 500k and 1M folks that use Katy as a mailing address. I recognize almost nothing but Cardiff's Rice drier, which I believe has a new name. It was always a sight for sore eyes after driving home after Aggie Games as a kid. My family was one of the original 10 families to settle there in the early 1900s.
We used to live in the "sticks" and now everyone does, so its not the "sticks" anymore. We used to sneak onto Cinco Ranch, when it actually was a "ranch" and fish the canals (oxbow lakes) for some of the best black bass from a "pond" you will find. (and believe me we looked) I found mammal fossils embedded in the creek bed wall and sent them to the Katy Outdoor learning center. We used to fish wherever we could get away with it, swim in Rice wells until someone used to run us off.
I can probably name of a half dozen occasions where I should have died while I was growing up. Snakes, Drowning, Lightning strike, Cerebral hemorrhages come to mind off the top of my head. But damn we had a lot of fun.
I played football for the coaching legend in Mike Johnston and Gary Joseph was an Assistant Coach, but we won 2 games in years when I was varsity. We are not mentioned much in the football lore of the Katy Tigers. I love the little town I grew in, but it is gone. I would not trade my growing up there for anything but you cannot live my childhood in Katy anymore.

BTW, I have lived in Midland now for over 25 years.

Class of 82 from KHS. Used to drive to Dorm 6 in 82 minutes from West Memorial up to Clay to Katy hockley to FM 529 to FM 359 past the concrete bull on the left hand side of the road just past Monaville. Someone always painted its nuts blue until around my senior year someone chiseled them off. stopped at the Shell Station in Hempstead and drove past the gigantic Marshall Chevy place dreaming of a new truck. After that, it got fairly bland to navasota and then to the speedway. Watched them build that new water tower on the south side of college station during latter trips.

We went from 3A to 5A between sophomore and junior year. Had no chance against Stratford, Memorial, westchester or even Spring Branch. I recall Farmer Stephens in the dark green or blue old ford coming at us on the cinco ranch when it was a ranch. A buddy was a dishwasher at the new Landrys. We'd borrow the dirty napkins and table cloths to make goose decoys. Ate a bunch of lunches and dinners at Nonmachers BBQ. There were beer bashes at the old stockdick school and a place called the door. My freshman year in college a new place for parties was created between Mason and Fry Rd called The Boxcars.

When I returned from my first USAF assignment in Guam circa 1990, I missed the Mason road exit. I didn't recognize it. In the mid-2000s the Vegetarian Indian Cuisine restaurant opened on Mason road. I didn't think it was going to last 6 months. The demographics changed, I guess. Last time I was there, the vegetarian Indian cuisine place was thriving. And Mr Nonmacher died but I heard a young couple is rebuilding the bbq experience there.

When I moved to Mason road it dead ended at Provincial circa 1973. Watched west memorial elementary get built and then the junior high next door. We were the first class to graduate from both. Our class was split in half in 10th grade to form Taylor. Most of my friends went to Taylor. I stayed at Katy. Rode bus #19 until I got a car. Worked at Westside Hardware for Frank Kammerlohr, one of my best mentors for teaching me business acumen.

I've lived in San Angelo for the past 18 years.
My oldest brother graduated in 1981. My just older brother was the barefooted punter #23 for KHS in 1981 & 1982 seasons. I was running track those 2 years at KHS. I wore Mike Cargill's #41 when I made varsity football at KHS in 1983 & 1984 seasons.
If my wife and I ever left Midland it would probably be for San Angelo. Still has that small town feel downtown. Everyone is nice and the food is great. Same dry climate and we just started "no drama kayaking" along the San Angelo river-walk. So we visit more often.
Carmine Scarpacio
FishrCoAg said:

Yellowhammer from '73 here. I'm sure we have a lot of mutual acquaintances
I used to hunt Buster Welch's ranch in Fisher and Scurry Counties, near double fork of Brazos. Beautiful country. Lots of draws, ravines, and mesas in that area. His place had some caves in Rough Creek. Mr. Welch was a hell of a man.
FishrCoAg
AG
Carmine Scarpacio said:

FishrCoAg said:

I used to hunt Buster Welch's ranch in Fisher and Scurry Counties, near double fork of Brazos. Beautiful country. Lots of draws, ravines, and mesas in that area. His place had some caves in Rough Creek. Mr. Welch was a hell of a man.

The White House and barn on the little curve west of his ranch HQ is mine. Did a lot of work for him over the years. He was an icon for sure. Small world
Carmine Scarpacio
FishrCoAg said:

Carmine Scarpacio said:

FishrCoAg said:

The White House and barn on the little curve west of his ranch HQ is mine. Did a lot of work for him over the years. He was an icon for sure. Small world
Wow! Been ten years since I got off that lease. Just too far to drive once we had kids. But I was obsessed with that country. I killed a nice mule deer off his property in a small wheat field pretty close and northeast of his HQ.

Also went on a date with a real pretty girl from Rotan (her last name was Shipp and she still lives there). This was 25+ years ago when we were at ACU. She was/is a class act.
FishrCoAg
AG
Carmine Scarpacio said:

FishrCoAg said:

Carmine Scarpacio said:

FishrCoAg said:

Wow! Been ten years since I got off that lease. Just too far to drive once we had kids. But I was obsessed with that country. I killed a nice mule deer off his property in a small wheat field pretty close and northeast of his HQ.

Also went on a date with a real pretty girl from Rotan (her last name was Shipp and she still lives there). This was 25+ years ago when we were at ACU. She was/is a class act.

I'll tell her Carmine said hello!
Klaus Schwab
The Fall Guy said:

Grandma and Grandpa were both born in Talpa, Tx in Coleman county in 1915. They moved to Ballinger after getting married. Grandpa was stationed at Mathis field in San Angelo during WW2 and fixed airplanes because he was a tractor repairman. Dad was from Ballinger,Texas. Born in San Angelo, left Ballinger to go to A&M in 1962. We moved to San Angelo in 1977 and moved to the DFW area in 1984. Had our family ranch north of San Angelo and South of Robert Lee. Sold it in 1998. Worst day ever. I live in Kyle, Tx now and wish I could move back to the Angelo area.
My family is from San Angelo and I lived there from 2012-2013 so it was fun to watch Johnny at some of those downtown bars. I was also in Angelo every summer since the early 90s. I think it was a lot nicer back in the day and my family tends to think the same. Maybe it's just that American towns are declining in general. I would still live there over most major cities in Texas though.
The Fall Guy
AG
Klaus Schwab said:

The Fall Guy said:

My family is from San Angelo and I lived there from 2012-2013 so it was fun to watch Johnny at some of those downtown bars. I was also in Angelo every summer since the early 90s. I think it was a lot nicer back in the day and my family tends to think the same. Maybe it's just that American towns are declining in general. I would still live there over most major cities in Texas though.

Funny because i was just thinking aboit the good times I had as a kid in Angelo and Ballinger. I turn 50 this year and guess am reminissising. Could live in a heartbeat out in the sticks. Hell even buy a cheap lot in Bronte, Tx. Build a home and work at Allsups. Lol
c-jags
Klaus Schwab said:

The Fall Guy said:

it's interesting you feel it was nicer back in the day. every time i go back to see my family i feel like there are so many things i wish i could go and do and old restaurants to revisit. i feel like it reinvented itself in the 2010s quite a bit after i left.

i'd think it's just nostalgia, but i feel like it has a lot more going for it now than it did in the 80s and 90s when i was there.

i will say when we go back it's so much busier than it used to be. The town stopped at the mall and Target out on the loop for most of my child hood and then the kmart, home depot, and super walmart were built and i feel like that whole area is just a concrete jungle now with a Sephora, Kohls, etc.

little SA, Temple, Tyler, New Braunfels, Georgetown or Abilene are still my perfect sized towns although all of them feel so much bigger than they used to 20 years ago. My family was in New Braunfels at church camp this week and i was passing through and went to see them and felt like i passed 1000 cars on the way back to 35. i had no idea that it was 100k population now.
The Fall Guy
AG
c-jags said:

Klaus Schwab said:

The Fall Guy said:

it's interesting you feel it was nicer back in the day. every time i go back to see my family i feel like there are so many things i wish i could go and do and old restaurants to revisit. i feel like it reinvented itself in the 2010s quite a bit after i left.

i'd think it's just nostalgia, but i feel like it has a lot more going for it now than it did in the 80s and 90s when i was there.

i will say when we go back it's so much busier than it used to be. The town stopped at the mall and Target out on the loop for most of my child hood and then the kmart, home depot, and super walmart were built and i feel like that whole area is just a concrete jungle now with a Sephora, Kohls, etc.

little SA, Temple, Tyler, New Braunfels, Georgetown or Abilene are still my perfect sized towns although all of them feel so much bigger than they used to 20 years ago. My family was in New Braunfels at church camp this week and i was passing through and went to see them and felt like i passed 1000 cars on the way back to 35. i had no idea that it was 100k population now.

Sunset Mall was built in 1981. My Dad would take the neighborhood kids in the back of his El Camino to pick up cans as the mall was being built. Fun times!!
SW AG80
AG
jrwoodchuck said:

I think small town Texas back in the day is what a lot of people yearn for today. It sounds corny, but it was a kinder, gentler time. We made our own fun. We didn't hurt anybody. Even though every Tom, Dick, and Harry had a gun, it wasn't the first move in a fight. If you got busted for drinking it was usually a phone call to the folks where you got the "counseling" you needed. This isn't all there was to it. Other people will have different memories. I'm pretty sure I'll be moving back to Hamlin when I retire. A perfect example of coming full circle.

Can't help but come back and read this thread every now and then. Think I've even posted here before. I was born and raised in Big Lake. Ended up being DA in Swee****er thanks to the help of FisherCoAg.

Most of my good Aggie friends were from D/FW or Houston area. While at A&M they good naturedly made fun of my small town ways. They all returned to the city and have done quite well.

But now, as they are in retirement and the world has gone crazy, they have either moved to the country/small town or want to. Now I tell them "I knew y'all would come over to my side."

The ones of us who grew up in small towns had lots of advantages. And I loved every day of it. I teach law enforcement, mainly DPS, in retirement. At the end of each class I tell them, especially the ones stationed in small towns, that if they find a kid throwing a beer bottle in their front yard as he is headed home for the night "don't be too hard on him. He might grow up to be a District Attorney!"

But maybe those days are gone forever.
UTExan
Small town upbringing was a HUGE advantage: work ethic, faith, showing up on the job on time, people skills gained from a smaller community. That all translated into job skills and desirability as an employee.
V35B66
The Fall Guy said:

My roommate was from Ballinger: class of '66 so he/we went to A&M in fall 1962. Ivan Estes.
jja79
AG
I circle back to this thread periodically. Fort Stockton native, left in 1975 when I graduated HS. Swore I'd never be back but as I got older it looked better to me than it had. Never went back and probably won't but I have moved to Arizona because I can't get hot, dry and vast out of my system. I've got a couple of things to take care of in FS this weekend so I'll be making the 600+ mile drive on friday. The area between here and there and the landscape of FS may not be for everyone but it's a drive I really enjoy. 100% American SW desert. Not much any better.to me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.