West Texas
Sponsored by

Small town West Texas

38,374 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by TAMUallen
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I spent 3 days in San Angelo last week. Had a great time visiting family and friends. SA really is a great place. One gripe though. All the chain restaurants that have moved in have run many of the good local eateries out of business. Especially the locally owned steakhouses.

Whenever we are able to leave San Antonio, San Angelo will be one of the places we consider. We are heavily invested in Aggieland with season tickets to football, basketball and baseball along with a house there that is a great gathering place for friends and kids/grandkids. And San Angelo will be too far to continue those commitments.

Tough decisions ahead for us but thankful we have the opportunities.
VANDY1
Went to a few swim meets at San Angelo Central as a Midland Lee swimmer. Loved Zetners daughter steakhouuse after meets when we won the invitational. Not so much of a fan of Burger King.....
Joe Don
Abilene story: In 1960, Abilene and all of the surrounding region were bone dry - and I'm not talking about rain. Then, a small town just a little north of Abilene, called Impact, shocked the region when the town's 18 residents voted to approve alcohol sales inside their city limits.

Not long after, the small town of Buffalo Gap, just south of Abilene, followed Impact's example. This inspired some wag to coin this once-famous riddle:

-What's wet on both ends and dry in the middle?
-Abilene, Texas.

LoneStarBQ
AG
Loved Zentners
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Bearpitbull
All of these towns in Texas are either booming or drying up. I stopped in downtown Waco about a week ago. The place is NOTHING like the.old days. I should have invested a few years ago. There are fancy hotels, tons of restaurants, bars, bike rentals, etc. Insane.
TAMUallen
AG
Bearpitbull said:

All of these towns in Texas are either booming or drying up. I stopped in downtown Waco about a week ago. The place is NOTHING like the.old days. I should have invested a few years ago. There are fancy hotels, tons of restaurants, bars, bike rentals, etc. Insane.

Just read an article about how Ozona has dropped population 31 percent since the 2020 census. 2731 to only 1881 citizens now.

Hell, the 131 yr old paper shut down. Fortunately, it isn't completely dead and another paper bought it out but it definitely isn't the same or nearly as good.
https://sanangelolive.com/news/business/2023-06-07/another-west-texas-newspaper-hangs-it-after-after-131-years

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.