Tulia Drug debacle

2,320 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mainly posting this here so I can find it again. It's a long article about the undercover drug operation that ended in such a disaster in Tulia in the late 1990s.

Long read, well worth it. Bottom line, all the defendants in Tulia were guilty, and no racism was involved. FBI investigations that confirmed this were swept under the rug. Side note, I am acquainted with the FBI agent who did the investigation. I 100% trust his judgement here.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2005/april/tom-coleman-is-not-the-biggest-racist-in-america/
SW AG80
AG
They were guilty BUT that deal was handled extremely poorly and Tom Coleman was a bad, rogue cop. I believe that was his name. The defendants did not deliver as much cocaine as Coleman reported as he cut it with a lot of crushed aspirin. Coleman got paid by the number of cases AND the seriousness of the cases. So he had a financial motive to do what he did. Bad deal all the way around.
CanyonAg77
AG
Read the article I linked and get back to me.
SW AG80
AG
I got involved with Coleman before the Tulia facts came to light. He pulled the same crap in the jurisdiction where I was DA. I don't care what the article says. He wasn't racist. It was all motivated by $$$ and wanting to be a big dog among LE. Blacks were just an easy target. The last 3 sentences are my opinion.

Edit: He might be a racist but I do not know. But what he did in Tulia and Sweetwater was not motivated by racism, in my opinion.
CanyonAg77
AG
I still say read the article. He under-reported the amount of drugs sold to him, not over-reported, according to the FBI agent who I happen to know
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.