Anyone from Turkey, Texas?

2,387 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wearer of the Ring
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently trading PMs with a TexAg poster from east Texas. He just found out that his dad's family lived in Turkey during the mid 1960s, and the poster was wanting more info on the town. His dad is about the same age as me, early 60s.

I've visited there once or twice, but I seldom get further west than Quitaque and Caprock Canyons.
Creek06
AG
My dad grew up there and I have a lot of kin folks still in the area.

What were they wanting to know about the big city? Bob Willis day is a good time to visit because they have the school open with some old class pictures.

CanyonAg77
AG
It's mainly family history stuff. He didn't realize until a few weeks ago that his family had ever lived in Turkey, so I think he just wanted to know that part of their lives. His grandad was probably a farm hand, so I think he'd like to see if any of the old farm families are still around.

I'll let him know of this thread.

I don't know if you ever look at Classmates.com, but I found some old Turkey school yearbooks there, and found his dad, uncle and aunt's photos in the 1967, let him know that, that was pretty cool.

I despise Classmates, but they have a crap ton of school yearbooks digitized.
FHUAggie
Huge thank you to CanyonAg77 for all of his help so far; immensely grateful. Creek06, thank you as well for chiming in here and for offering any insight you may be willing to share.

So my folks are East Texas natives, but spent a relatively brief amount of time in Turkey, Texas. According to my dad, his dad was made aware by other family members of work in the area in the 1960's, particularly in the cotton fields. My dad also spoke of hauling watermelons as a kid, which I believe was in Turkey as well, but that's about all I know about their ag work; they moved from Turkey and back to east Texas after just a few years.

That said, I was just hoping to see if I could figure out which farms they worked on and (and this may be wishful thinking) records of any work they may have done; something with my dad or an aunt or uncle's name on it for familial historical records. I'm currently building out my family tree, and have been taking recordings from my mom and dad recounting their upbringings and family histories. My family in east Texas has a lot of information on all-things east Texas, but seeing as how my dad and my aunts and uncles were so young at the time and were in Turkey for such a short amount of time, any real information/data is in short supply.

Thanks again to you both, and please let me know if I can provide any other information!
CanyonAg77
AG
Looks like Creek06 has stars, why don't you tell him your relatives names, and some of the farm families they worked for, and let him ask his dad?

Or post them publicly if you wish
GSPag`
Call Hotel Turkey and ask for Tina. She is a local Turkey historian. And her Dad is probably about your dad's age. Turkey is by far my favorite town in Texas. It is pretty there, but the great people make it a great place to live. Think 1950s Texas hospitality.
FHUAggie
GSPag` said:

Call Hotel Turkey and ask for Tina. She is a local Turkey historian. And her Dad is probably about your dad's age. Turkey is by far my favorite town in Texas. It is pretty there, but the great people make it a great place to live. Think 1950s Texas hospitality.

Thanks so much for advice; I'll do that! And I owe a PM to Creek as well, but truly appreciate everyone's help. Hoping to visit there in person soon Lord willing.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I'm not from that area but any time my fam is taking a trip like to Colo I always try to drive through avoiding the interstate and see as much as I can. My last time through Turkey was 15+ years ago and memorable to me cuz just as we approached the city limits from the south a big old gobbler trotted across the road in front of us. Seemed very apropos.
bco2003
AG
Wearer of the Ring said:

I'm not from that area but any time my fam is taking a trip like to Colo I always try to drive through avoiding the interstate and see as much as I can. My last time through Turkey was 15+ years ago and memorable to me cuz just as we approached the city limits from the south a big old gobbler trotted across the road in front of us. Seemed very apropos.
We typically drive through Turkey back to New Mexico on Thanksgiving day. And get a family picture in front of the turkey statue. Also feels apropos.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Pretty sure you have out aproposed me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.