Weather patterns....

2,578 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jtp01
Bluecat_Aggie94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok, this pattern of storms developing with solid, eastward moving lines that absolutely dry up right on the doorstep of Canyon/Amarillo... I've been here 4 years and we had decent rain the first three, but that pattern has happened over and over and over this year. Happened with TWO lines last night, and it has happened 8-10 times this year. I have measured less than .25 inches of rain at my home since November. Droughts happen, but this pattern of storms that literally die within eyesight, its torture! For those of you who have lived here your entire lives, is this unusual?

God, please send us rain!!!
CanyonAg77
AG
The only thing normal about Panhandle weather is abnormality.

When I was a kid in the 1960s, we had a lot more rain. Which meant a lot more tornadoes. It seems now, that "tornado alley" has moved east. Kansas, Oklahoma, and even Missouri are getting the storms we used to have.
Aggie1
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The only thing normal about Panhandle weather is abnormality.

When I was a kid in the 1960s, we had a lot more rain. Which meant a lot more tornadoes. It seems now, that "tornado alley" has moved east. Kansas, Oklahoma, and even Missouri are getting the storms we used to have.
Certainly concur with Panhandle weather changing on a dime -- many other locations all claim but few can match... "Nothing between Amarillo and the North Pole but a few barbed wire fences..." Since the prevailing wind is from the SW I believe the same could be stated as nothing between Amarillo and the Pacific/Mexico but a few barbed wire fences...

I recall the noteworthy Amarillo 1949 tornado vividly - it was Sunday night and we were at evening church services on McMasters Street with tree limbs falling and branches flying. No one left until it was all over and had to remove branches in the parking lot and downed trees in the streets to meander home.

What I recall most from the circa 50's era was dust storms. One of the advantages to "swamp coolers" was the water trickling over the pads and stopping (some of) the dust from coming inside. We used to lay on the bed with a wet washcloth over our faces until things settled down during a storm. In 1970 a dust storm and tornadic wind in Lubbock actually twisted the 271' tall Great Plains Life Building around and left it structurally unsound.

During the 40's/50's/early 60's I recall rain - but in squall drenching buckets-full - not slow and soaking. It would be sunny - all of a sudden a storm would arrive - the streets would flow curb top to curb top for a while - and then suddenly all dry up and the sun be out again. It was a virtual rain dump when compared to the ,more gentle afternoon showers that often occur in the mountains.

Sudden winter blizzards often arrived the same way and left snowdrift "dunes" up against houses and fences and cars, etc. from the winds and were gone in just a few hours. The winters were a lot colder and there was a lot more snow (seemingly...) during those years. Band practice at 0700 could freeze a mouthpiece to your lips and the valves in the horns would stick. Then football practice after school would freeze our fingers - the goatheads and sand burrs were hardly felt in frozen fingers. Red ants were plentiful and horny toads were EVERYWHERE!!

I worked summer of '62 for Butler Buildings Panhandle Steel Buildings constructing grain elevators at Waka, Texas. Working up topside when a rain squall came, we just held onto the ropes and hoped for the best because the tornadoes - often 2 or 3 dancing around in the wheat fields near us - were clearly visible, but we did not have time to escape down the ladders to the ground 60-100 feet below because the rains and winds would come along so suddenly. This happened more than once - in fact 3 days in a row.

I feel certain anyone - especially farmers - who were out in the open when these storms came along often headed for the house/storm shelter or got under their tractor or whatever until these funnels would pass.

Later, when I first enlisted in the AF I was assigned to Altus AFB, OK that claims to observe more tornadoes annually than any other single location. 50-60 a year with actual visibility from the flight line was the norm as I recall. I never understood why the AF would locate a base in such a vulnerable location. Certainly, McConnell AFB in Wichita, KS got blown off the map later in 1991. And anyone who lives in or around OKC must have nerves of steel. I lived in Guthrie when I worked for Integris Health on NW highway for several years and watched communities all around us get pummeled - and continue to watch then thereabouts every year hence.

Not to derail, but when it got time for me to retire I looked for a place where I would never ever have to worry about water rationing and always had green stuff growing everywhere. And settled in the Arkansas River Valley of W-NW Arkansas. Which only put me squarely in the middle of Tornado Alley again... But, still near I-40... Seems to be a magnet.

My HS reunions in Amarillo have been very satisfying - best people on the planet! 50 and 55 were great - looking to the 60th HS reunion soon.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

In 1970 a dust storm and tornadic wind in Lubbock actually twisted the 271' tall Great Plains Life Building around and left it structurally unsound.
Don't remember a dust storm involved. It was an F5 tornado.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Don't worry about "derailing" the thread, I could talk about weather all day. In fact, I find it insulting when people call it "small talk." I may have missed my calling.

That being said, I do really want to understand the science behind what it happening. It's got to be beyond coincidence how often these storms are literally dissipating right on our doorstep. My house faces WSW on Soncy/2590/VFW a couple miles north of Canyon, so we sit on our front porch in the evenings and watch the weather. In the last three years, we watched the rains that develop in Eastern NM proceed right towards us and bring us nice rains.

This year, nobody got any rain from November through April, but since April, some rains have returned, but every time we have sat out our our porch to watch them coming in, they get to the point we can smell it and see it, and other than a few drops the moisten the drive way, they dissipate right on top of us. You can watch the animated radar loops and see it happening... over and over and over and over again. I've also seen several occasions where rains move towards us, dissipate over us, and then reform on the other side several times. And one very odd occasion... a storm moved to us and right over the top of us... a sizable "red" portion of the radar map passed right over my house... and brought us fierce winds and about 6 large drops of rain. Never seen anything like it.

It feels like a curse but there has to be a scientific explanation.
Aggie1
AG
I took a 4-hr "structural geology class" at WT one summer. We were told the position of Amarillo over the "Amarillo mountains" in relationship to the infill between the peak and the real Rockies formed a channel that the SW Mexican winds traveled along from SW to NE and was the genesis of "tornado alley"... We were also told these "Amarillo Mountains" were really an extension of the very same Quachita in Arkansas and the Kiamichi and Arbuckles in Oklahoma. It just depends on where you are at as to where the mountains stick their nose above the surface - but they are all part of the same range underground and end up at and part of the Rockies.

Depending on the time of year and the direction the wind was blowing the fall off bluffs and altitude just east of Amarillo intensify the swirling action of wind currents and as cold layers met warm layers - either vertically or horizontally - along this long line of bluffs - was the cause of storms that continue Northeast during the summers and SW during the winters. Certainly the Palo Duro Canyon acts as a funnel from South to North as it narrows as well.

I cannot speak to the specifics of Soncy directly as I grew up in Pleasant Valley/River Road/Cliffside areas and when I left Amarillo in 1961 for A&M my parents moved onto Olsen Park - (pre Puckett). But, from my early years experience, from my class at WT, and the observations going back over the years it is apparent that Amarillo generally lies on a demarcation line from East to West as to topography and landscape.

From a town point of view the difference between say Vega and Claude is very different. Closer in say the area around Amarillo Airport and Highland Park Schools versus say Bushland School area is very different. And even closer, the areas around downtown and the old route along NE 8th (Amarillo Blvd) and 66/6th Street changes again about Western and on to Bell by the Amarillo Medical Center Complex. As one continues East to West these things are noticeable to the naked eye - at least to me. My friends in Bishop Hills certainly have different landscapes as to say those who live in Lake Tanglewood. Different topography, different indiginous plants, different landscape, different soils. The mountain range underneath the soil seems to just be a dividing line above ground in so many ways.

Even further look at Hedley to Childress over to Hollis Altus - big difference.
or Slaton to Plainview up 400...
Then
Look at Channing, Hartley, Dalhart vs say Pampa, Borger, over to Canadian.
It becomes apparent over longer distances for sure.

I'll bet if you did a study on Google Earth as to your position in altitude to landmarks around you that the topography changes a few hundred feet one way or the other and that can definitely impede - or speed the action of weather around you.

Could be that the heat of the city makes a difference East to West and causes some division. Especially since Soncy is at the far west higher than the city ... just guessing...

That elusive "dry line" can be affected by topography and heat zones. Maybe it often stops at Soncy??
jtp01
AG
I'm a self diagnosed weather junkie. I live South of a Bushland in Outpost Ranches (for right now, we are moving to the farm NE of Dumas) and our backyard faces west. We watch them roll in dissipate then sit on the front porch and watch them rebuild.

I have a weather station at my house that updates data every 15 minutes (I sell them) and it's disturbing to compare last year to this year. We have been fairly fortunate at the farm and have gotten 1.20" in the last 3 months atbthe farm. At my house, I have logged .47" since November 15, 2017. For an area whose average rainfall is around 20", half way through the year and only .47" makes one wonder what the year end total is going to break 2".
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
There's got to be an element of psychology... I grew up in Coleman County. Abilene was a "hub" of a spoke of town in that part of the country just as Amarillo is here.

I remember a funny conversation one day when we met someone from Throckmorton. I said "you are the ones that get all the storms." He asked where I was from and I told him and he just laughed and said the same thing to me. It seemed to me that Shackelford and Throckmorton county were constantly getting Abilene news coverage from the storms while those of us in Runnels and Coleman county were missing out. Their perception was the exact opposite.

But your .47 inches in Bushland is double mine in Canyon, so this time I guess I'm right
WestTexasAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

In 1970 a dust storm and tornadic wind in Lubbock actually twisted the 271' tall Great Plains Life Building around and left it structurally unsound.
Don't remember a dust storm involved. It was an F5 tornado.
Indeed, an F5. You can go stand at the corner of that building today at ground level and look up and clearly see that it is twisted. Still being used though, so I guess it is structurally sound.
Aggie1
AG
After evaluations and only afteer some strengthening alterations the building was considered safe for continued use.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I took a 4-hr "structural geology class" at WT one summer. We were told the position of Amarillo over the "Amarillo mountains" in relationship to the infill between the peak and the real Rockies formed a channel that the SW Mexican winds traveled along from SW to NE and was the genesis of "tornado alley"... We were also told these "Amarillo Mountains" were really an extension of the very same Quachita in Arkansas and the Kiamichi and Arbuckles in Oklahoma. It just depends on where you are at as to where the mountains stick their nose above the surface - but they are all part of the same range underground and end up at and part of the Rockies.

I'd say that as a meteorologist, the prof was a pretty good......geologist.

Sorry, a buried mountain range has as much to do with weather patterns as the part in my hair.

Yes, he was correct about the mountains being buried at Amarillo, I'm pretty sure the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma are the same range, I'm less sure about the Ouachitas.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
I'll have to check that sometime. Is it true the 9th floor and above are unoccupied? Wikipedia said so, so must be true.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Initially I had the same reaction, and still remain dubious, but I do think he meant that the buried range is part of a larger topological system than impacts the weather.

My doubt comes from something else. I just don't think these topological various in this region could have that kind of impact. Even Palo Duro Canyon. Those are just 700-800 foot walls. Compared to the size of a weather system, it's like the impact a crack in the road has on your car.

That's just intuition, and if science has documented a real impact, then I certainly can't dispute it, but my hunch is that they would say the topography of this region has a minimal influence on any particular storm.

CanyonAg77
AG
I think the canyon and caprock can cause an influence, maybe in a tipping point type of way. The wind going up or down the slopes can change the air pressure locally, and perhaps initiate storms that would not otherwise form.

Just last night, I saw several showers building over the canyon.

And as far as the Amarillo Mountains, I see the point that maybe the prof meant that they caused a difference in surface elevation....except they don't. They are so deeply buried in the stuff that eroded off the Rocky Mountain uplift that they are invisible. You can't look at the surface and trace the Amarillo Mountain range.
jtp01
AG
We picked up .29" over the last 2 nights. It's crazy how exciting it is to see the radar heading you way and then to actually hear the rain.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Looks like y'all may have just gotten a little more in Canyon.

My wife and I honeymooned there a couple of years ago, so it holds some special memories. Spent a couple of nights in town and then a couple in the Sorensen cabin. The native plants from Neals we picked up there are thriving even through this drought!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
We got .4 at my house, tripling the annual total! The night before it was the same thing, right at the doorstep and then went around. Actually we had a "dry storm".... red in the radar right on top of my house, but nothing but wind.

But it was absolutely heartening to finally get some yesterday. It was all anybody posted about on Facebook!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Maybe the pattern has changed, another inch last night! Hallelujah !
jtp01
AG
Picked up 0.46" in Bushland Saturday and 1.56" at the farm. It was such a blessing to turn the pivots off.

A fantastic rain at that nice and slow with no runoff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.