Controlling jack rabbits

2,025 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hamburger Dan
Hamburger Dan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moved To Lubbock less than two years ago. Built a house on South Upland and moved in last March. My sod in the front yard was immaculate - until last Thursday night. The jackrabbits have taken over. It's been a small war since then. I've had a little luck with a good pellet gun, but what else can I do.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

Hire this guy.

Other than that, I got nothing. We've got tons of them and I like them, but I'm not putting in new sod. Good news is, once you get the sod established, they shouldn't be a bother.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
After I posted that, a memory flooded my brain.

My dad got fed up with rabbits eating our garden and came up with an effective and ingenious solution when I was a kid. Whether he got this from someone else or invited it himself I never knew, but knowing my dad, I'd guess it was his creation.

He dug a hole big enough for a 30 gallon trash can. Filled it about halfway with wanter. Hung tasty vegetables over the top of the trash can so that the rabbits would reach for it and fall in. We found 3-4 drowned rabbits every morning until the population was under control.

I do believe those were mostly cottontails though.

CanyonAg77
AG
Border Collie.
Hamburger Dan
Update on the Great Rabbit War of Southwest Lubbock! My repellent spray came in late yesterday, so I'm going to spray the yard. Also heading over to Cabela's - I need to upgrade my pellet rifle. At one time last night- there were 9 jacks in my front yard with others scattered around in my neighbors yards. I'm pretty picky about my yard / grass. Eventually, I'm going to make those bastages sorry they ever ate my grass.
leachfan
I live south of Woodrow Rd and all I have ever seen is cottontails. About a million of them. That is until a few weeks ago and I've seen two jacks. N of town, at the Rawls course, is a different story. There are jackrabbits everywhere out there.
Hamburger Dan
Nice user name by the way. After I sprayed my yard last weekend, the rabbits are still there, but they've stayed away from my yard.
I cleaned up their holes, trenches, burrows or whatever it's called. I filled in with sand and compost. Our area is new and they are working on developing more land to south and east for about 200 more homes. I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time - we'll have this problem.
rangelady
AG
Jackrabbits are my favorite range critter. Hopefully the repellants will work. Thur problem is likely somewhat seasonal as "love is in the air" this time of year.
Hamburger Dan
Update on the Great Jackrabbit Assault - most of my neighbors on my culdesac now have sonar type noisemakers. We can't hear them - but it seems to keep the rabbits away. They run off batteries and are backed up by electricity. Between that and repellent spray - we seem to have a pretty good handle on them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.