CanyonAg, a request please.

28,463 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bco2003
Killer-K 89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Could you post some pics of springtime for us homesick Ex-Pat Panhandle Boys? I always enjoy your postings. And I know Biscuit will too.
CanyonAg77
AG
Hope you can maintain until this evening. I'll have more time then.
Killer-K 89
AG
Anytime. I am wanting to see it green for once.
powerbiscuit
Where have you been, hoss?
Killer-K 89
AG
Working in Three Rivers on a pipeline project. Which is ending too soon.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I am wanting to see it green for once.

You are going to be soooooooo disappointed.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'll just do a quick Panhandle Tour from my Flickr archives. Let me know if any fail to show, Flickr does weird things sometimes.

Grey Fox in tree at Kimbrough Stadium by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Sunset West of Canyon by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Road cut by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

This last should be familiar to anyone who watches the opening sequence of Texas Country Reporter.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 4/25/2012 9:31p).]

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 7/10/2012 6:52p).]
CanyonAg77
AG

Flower by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Caprock Canyons State Park by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Palo Duro creek by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG

Wayside Texas school by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_7221 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Los Lingos by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG

IMG_0990 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_0973 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_8626 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG

horned lizard by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Untitled by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Sphinx moth by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG
Will look for a few more. These are about the best I have on Flickr right now.
CanyonAg77
AG

IMG_9003 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_8831 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_8824 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG

IMG_6693 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_5398 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_7765 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG

IMG_7586 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

IMG_7584 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr
CanyonAg77
AG
And now to cheat a little, we move over into New Mexico and the Dry Cimmaron River and Johnson Mesa.

I really love that area, and these are some neat spring photos.

Dry Cimmaron River by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

Johnson Mesa by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

CanyonAg77
AG

CanyonAg77
AG

And I'll finish with one that really doesn't belong, but I'm proud of it, and since I'm already showing off.....

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/9NCUXX]IMG_1533 by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 7/28/2014 11:24a).]
powerbiscuit
Great pictures. They make me homesick. I doubt I'll ever live back up there again.

I'll be heading through the area in May for an Aggie wedding and am looking forward to it.
ZooGuy
AG
Yeah, I miss the Panhandle. I worked as an intern at the Gene Howe WMA for a Summer in college, and loved driving places and seeing the sights. Course, Amarillo was a dirty looking town... But really miss the area... so much wildlife and cool things to see. Lived in Abilene for 6 years and of course had similar feel to it.
caveman-economist
chocolatelabs
AG
My contribution from out place.

CanyonAg77
AG
Chocolatelabs-

That old 4010 (or 4020) brings back memories. The only thing worse than not having a tractor cab...was having one of those cabs. Hot, loud, dusty...it was better than freezing, but barely.

By the way, factory butane/propane tractors were only a small part of the yearly production run. So don't scrap it, and if you sell it, sell it to a collector, not a scrap guy.
chocolatelabs
AG
Canyon,

It was a 4010 and we did sell it but to an relative.

you are right. hot and dusty....
caveman-economist
AG
One big reason the panhandle looks great in pictures is that you can't see the wind.
caveman-economist
AG
I particularly like this one...

My granddaddy is buried just across the street from the old school house down by the church.
CanyonAg77
AG
Caveman, I have a lot of photos of the inside of Wayside school. A lot of the school trophies and such were just abandoned when the school closed in the 1960s or so.

My son has a prof at A&M who is originally from Wayside.
caveman-economist
AG
My dad would enjoy those a lot... most of my family still lives around Vigo Park. Could you post a few of the good ones?

CanyonAg77
AG
Tell you what, I'll post one.

Wayside Texas school by CHS Girls Soccer, on Flickr

This one gets me. One, it is 77 years old. If any of the kids that played in that tournament are still alive, they are in their 90s. More likely, they've passed on. Second, it is from a school that no longer exists, and a town that is basically a ghost town.

Then, the next thing I'll do for you is to post a link to the rest of the pictures. It will be on what Flickr calls a guest pass.

Use this link:

http://flickr.com/gp/chs_girls_soccer/38xEPK/

If you send them the link, make sure it is this one, because it redirects. When you enter the link above, it changes when you get to the web page. If you copy and paste that link, you get nothing.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 4/27/2012 3:26p).]

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 4/27/2012 3:27p).]
powerbiscuit
That's something else. My grandfather would have been the age to play in that tournament. He was from the area and was supposedly a decent basketball player, and would have been in the class of 35.

However he didn't graduate. His dad liked baseball, and not basketball. The basketball (and missing work on the farm) pissed him off and he pulled my grandfather out of school in the 10th grade and put him to work.

It's crazy to think about in today's terms, but I guess that's the way things were in those days. Luckily, he didn't follow that precedent and sent all his kids to college, though some didn't finish.
caveman-economist
AG
Those are great. I don't remember if my dad went to school there, but I'm pretty sure my grandmother did. She was born in 1920, so would have been about the right age. Crazy that they even had enough kids for a basketball team. Of course, Wayside - along with Vigo Park - were expecting to grow. Originally, the train was supposed to pass through there, but that never panned out. You'll still hear the old timers say, "We're still waiting on that train!"
CanyonAg77
AG
If you ever go to the Tech Ranching Heritage museum, one of the big exhibits in the Barton House. Was going to be the centerpiece of the town of Bartonsite, about 8 miles west of present-day Abernathy.

The railroad was going to bypass Hale Center until a group of about 8 men invested all their money into right-of-way to give to the railroad. It about broke them all, but the Santa Fe changed their route. Hale Center prospered, Bartonsite disappeared.

Regarding Wayside, the A&M professor told my son that the happiest day of the prof's life was when his dad sold all the cows, got out of the dairy business, and moved into Canyon. Since that took the prof and his several (five? six?) brothers out of the Wayside school, it also doomed the school, which soon closed.

Here's a little page on Wayside

If you have older relatives from the area, would you mind asking them a question for me? Is there anyone who remembers the U-2 spy plane that crashed near Wayside 8 July 1958?

My email address is my TexAgs username, except all lowercase letters, at hotmail dot com. Or responding here would be fine.

I don't go to Wayside very often, but if you want something photographed (church, cemetery, old homestead) let me know. I'll put it on the list for the next time I go that way.
WestTexasAg
AG
Excellent work guys! chocolatelabs - like the old tractor pic. Is that the classic 4020? Also, I think I venture over to Wayside next time I am up in Amarillo area.
Comeby!
AG
Nm

[This message has been edited by Comeby! (edited 4/28/2012 1:14p).]
chocolatelabs
AG
Canyon in the early 90's my uncle had a deer lease really close to wayside. don't remember the ranchers name, but it was alot of fun and a great deer lease. Shot a lot of nice mule deer out there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.