Houston
Sponsored by

Poll: 57% of Houstonians have considered leaving

12,028 Views | 149 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
TheWoodlandsTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I think the poll was done a few months ago. It has been getting more attention in the last couple of days.

TarponChaser
Good. Houston is full.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I wonder what that total would have been in September of last summer? I know I thought about it. If this summer was like last, I might have started looking around a bit.
Ag_07
AG
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I've thought about it. Nothing permanent but I'm intrigued by the idea of a short-term rental somewhere in the Pacific NW for May/June through August. I'd want to be back here for football season.
AgLA06
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I've thought about it. Nothing permanent but I'm intrigued by the idea of a short-term rental somewhere in the Pacific NW for May/June through August. I'd want to be back here for football season.
If only that poll showed how many were born here versus moved here and want it to be something other than it is (why they moved here).
Marauder Blue 6
AG
That would be interesting to see. I'm a native. It's not perfect and I don't loathe it like others do but the thought of a mild summer sounds really nice.
terradactylexpress
Born here. Think about leaving weekly, be it heat or storms or ****ty weather or lack of enjoyable outdoor activities.

Stay because of a variety of reasons but have no plans to die in the hellhole
TarponChaser
Not from here but Houston is the only place I've lived in Texas as an adult. Spent my first year and a half in college here at Rice, then transferred & graduated from A&M. First two years out of college I lived & worked on the East Coast in DC then moved to Houston in 2003.

The wife is born & raised in Sugar Land and never lived outside of Texas.

We've considered relocation a couple times for career opportunities but none have been the right fit to make us really want to leave. For all the faults, Houston is a pretty great place to be for our careers and raising our kids and as Gus told Lorie, " life in San Francisco, you see, is still just life. If you want any one thing too badly, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."

You can replace San Francisco in Gus's pearl of wisdom with pretty much any other place. I don't care where you go there's still going to be bull**** you don't want to have to live with. You're just trading one set of problems for a different set.
El Gallo Blanco
AgLA06 said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

If only that poll showed how many were born here versus moved here and want it to be something other than it is (why they moved here).

Yep would be interesting to see. I was born here in 1981 and never lived anywhere else, aside from College Station for a few years, and have grown to really dislike this city. Its ugly, trashy, increasingly dangerous, and a mosquito infested unbearable swamp in the summers. Far too many illiterate uneducated central Americans who don't know how to drive too. It's relatively cheap though. But this city was much better in the 90's before it was overfilled.
El Gallo Blanco
terradactylexpress said:

Born here. Think about leaving weekly, be it heat or storms or ****ty weather or lack of enjoyable outdoor activities.

Yep, this.

If parents/wife's parents, brothers and sisters weren't down here, no way in hell I would still be living here. Literally the only thing keeping me here...

Ag_07
AG
Question for those who don't like it here...Why haven't you moved?

If I honestly didn't like where I was living as much as some of you claim I'd leave in heartbeat.
Tex117
AG
You aren't a Houstonian if you haven't thought about leaving.
redag06
Ag_07 said:

If I honestly didn't like where I was living as much as some of you claim I'd leave in heartbeat.
Pretty sure most have said their reasons. Family is the reason for most, including myself. The draw of close family is becoming less of a reason to stay for myself. The weather is unbearable, the leading draw of Houston for so long was the affordability, it isn't anymore. So why stick around?
Dr. Horrible
Actively working on it!
TarponChaser
redag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Pretty sure most have said their reasons. Family is the reason for most, including myself. The draw of close family is becoming less of a reason to stay for myself. The weather is unbearable, the leading draw of Houston for so long was the affordability, it isn't anymore. So why stick around?

Yeah, the summers are hot as balls but have you ever been anywhere in the Midwest from December to early-March? It's often the kind of cold that hurts to breathe.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Best decision I've made in a while. I've been gone 2 years and don't miss a single thing about it.
HtownAg92
AG
I pulled the trigger. I was born here (Alvin), was in West Texas for a good stretch in a small town, then Aggieland, then back to the Tine for law school and work for 25+ years. Harvey should have done us in, but we stayed. Things have just gotten worse since then in just about every aspect of life. The city has become a cesspool that I no longer wanted to raise kids in. Even in private school they were exposed to BS, and you certainly couldn't escape the daily filth on the drive to school. So I started looking hard for an exit this year. We have lots of family in Arkansas and could see a better way of life every time we visited. Reminded me of how much I loved being in a small town. Different pace, weather, scenery, people, politics. Found a way to do it with work and we officially bailed on the Tine a week ago. No regrets at all, except not being near the coast and possibly needing to change my handle after 20 years.
TarponChaser
Funky Winkerbean said:

Best decision I've made in a while. I've been gone 2 years and don't miss a single thing about it.

So where did you move to?

edit: really this applies to anybody who has left or wants to leave.
Cynic
Tex117 said:

You aren't a Houstonian if you haven't thought about leaving.

Every time I go on vacation and come back I wonder why I live here.
batchuser
terradactylexpress said:

This! Amazes me to see so many Houston proud on this board. This town sucks
SnowboardAg
AG
Only thing keeping me here is career. Houston is a large job camp. Difficult finding comparable careers in other cities with a similar cost of living. As soon as I retire, I'm out.
Al Bula
AG
This is part of the plan:

1. Import scumbag oxygen thieves actively via government Section 8 culture disruption scams or passively due to illegal immigration
2. Outside money is thrown at marxist judicial activists who are unqualified legal professionals like graduates of TMSL and unelected appointments to backfill the crowded judicial system
3. Soft on crime so corruption in law enforcement is the norm and DA prosecution is an ineffective means to protect the general public
4. Complicit media which downplays safety risks and actual status decline in quality of life
El Gallo Blanco
Ag_07 said:

Because I love my family more than I hate my city. Although, with almost all of us living in Cypress, we have kicked around the idea of moving to a country club community in College Station where quite a few friends live...and we'd only be 50 min or so apart. We love getting the chance to see family as much as we want, and also free and willing baby sitters close by.
El Gallo Blanco
batchuser said:

terradactylexpress said:

Since I've been here since birth, I still reflexively get mad when outsiders talk sh** about my city. But deep down, I know they are right. Kind of similar to Aggie football, only Ags can say we suck...outsiders can EAD.
I Am A Critic
El Gallo Blanco said:

batchuser said:

terradactylexpress said:

Since I've been here since birth, I still reflexively get mad when outsiders talk sh** about my city. But deep down, I know they are right. Kind of similar to Aggie football, only Ags can say we suck...outsiders can EAD.
Worse are the ******* who hate this town so much that they leave yet still can't find a way stay away from this board.
Username checks out.
El Gallo Blanco
I Am A Critic said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

batchuser said:

terradactylexpress said:

Worse are the ******* who hate this town so much that they leave yet still can't find a way stay away from this board.

If you lived in this mosquito and democrat infested hot, humid, swampy hellhole for at least a few summers, you did your time and more than earned the right to b*tch.
AJ02
AG
I would love to leave Houston because there are way too many people. Especially stupid people.

But if most of those people left, they'd solve my problem for me and I would no longer need to move.
htxag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Mainly work. There are really good jobs here. But also family.

I don't hate Houston as much as it seems most do. I think it's great in a lot of aspects, for example, I think Houston food is severely underrated. I enjoy most of the people. I enjoy being able to take the kayak and be saltwater fishing in less than an hour, etc.

But....the weather absolutely leaves a lot to be desired. The heat and humidity can make summers insufferable.
HtownAg92
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

I Am A Critic said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

batchuser said:

terradactylexpress said:

If you lived in this mosquito and democrat infested hot, humid, swampy hellhole for at least a few summers, you did your time and more than earned the right to b*tch.

Ag_07
AG
This city certainly has it's cons.

I'm just a bit surprised to see that this many people seem to loathe living here yet still do.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I moved here after A&M to be with the man I eventually married. I fell in love with Houston. It has everything I need, and gave me a great career opportunity. Sure, the humidity sucks and hurricanes and all that, but I've never thought of leaving permanently because of the weather. I live in a good neighborhood and enjoy the life I have here in the city. My husband and I have talked briefly on a couple of occasions about relocating, but it was never all that serious. Honestly, I think Houston has been really good to me and there isn't a compelling reason to consider leaving, but if my husband's career takes him to a different city, I'm in a position now to be the "trailing spouse."
Seasoned Lifeguard
SnowboardAg said:

Only thing keeping me here is career. Houston is a large job camp. Difficult finding comparable careers in other cities with a similar cost of living. As soon as I retire, I'm out.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
If 57% of Houston left, there would still be more people here than there was in 1990. How can we get 85% to leave?
Lathspell
AG
Hell... leaving would be great. Problem is, I started my career in Houston and have spent the last 11 years building too vast of a business network to simply pickup and leave. I would have to basically completely change industries, or move upstream to a more corporate environment at the manufacturer level; which is an environment I never want to work in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.