Houston
Sponsored by

Tree cutting quote

3,603 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AlaskanAg99
Cibalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friend got quoted $1500 with no haul away for this tree. Seems high to me. Is this the going rate right now?

rancher1953
Plenty of tree work now in the area. He can pay now or a lot more later if the tree falls and damages something. To take that tree down safely equipment will be needed. That cost money, labor and insurance. The company is in business to make money and not go broke. I would think it was a good deal if they haul off. Fair deal as it stands
W
AG
I suppose the question...does it need to be hauled away by the tree cutter?

or if the logs & limbs are stacked on the curb...the city will pick it up eventually

$1,500 seems like a good price
AJ02
AG
We paid $3600 for a GIANT healthy, uprooted oak, 1 giant standing oak, and 2 dead water oaks. Haul away and stump grinding included.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for yours if it doesn't include haul away and stump grinding.
Cibalo
When did you have this work done?
Chewy
AG
Can't help you on specific pricing but seems high.

Why does he want it done right now? I'd imagine if he can wait a few months and Mother Nature finally decides to leave Houston alone he'd get much better rates.

Any fella with a chainsaw is busy right now so they're gonna price accordingly.
AJ02
AG
Cibalo said:

When did you have this work done?

Last June. Right after that big storm we had.

We used him again in March to cut down another huge water oak that was hanging over a pool, and haul away the remnants of a giant pine that Centerpoint cut down, and ground 5 stumps.

When we used him in March, we paid less than $3000.
Cibalo
They told me that after Beryl it looked like it got a bit of a lean to it. If it were to fall in the direction of the lean it would hit the house.

So do you take it out now? Let it ride and hope another big storm doesn't push it more?
concac
AG
rancher1953 said:

Plenty of tree work now in the area. He can pay now or a lot more later if the tree falls and damages something. To take that tree down safely equipment will be needed. That cost money, labor and insurance. The company is in business to make money and not go broke. I would think it was a good deal if they haul off. Fair deal as it stands
OP just want to figure out what is the going rate to get it cut down.

Doesn't deserve the sanctimony from you.
WorthAg95
AG
We just got quoted $2500 for a tree a little larger than that. And also they can't do it for 6 weeks.
Jack Cheese
AG
See if they'll throw in a pressure wash of his driveway too.

I kid! I kid!
Chewy
AG
Cibalo said:

They told me that after Beryl it looked like it got a bit of a lean to it. If it were to fall in the direction of the lean it would hit the house.

So do you take it out now? Let it ride and hope another big storm doesn't push it more?
That seems like a $1,000 question and one they have to make. None of us can see the full surroundings and history of the tree.

One pic is not enough to make a determination.

It doesn't have a lot of branches and leaves so I don't think it's much of a threat but I don't know the area and other trees that have gone down.

Trees that go down tend to be taller, older, and have more branches. Not always, but generally.

I'd wait a few months and try to save a grand but I'm cheap. If it's something weighing on their mind, $1,500 sounds like the current market rate.
agz win
AG
Bid is high under the circumstances. I live under a forest of giant pines and most I've paid is $800 for removal of a mature loblolly a few feet from my front door about 4 years ago. Crew was out of Huntsville on Highway 190 - took all day, climbed and dropped in sections and cleaned up and took away.

Your tree does not look threatening to me and I'd wait until quotes go back down but if you are stressed then do what you need to do.
Cibalo
Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I told my friend. Thought the quote was high but service demand is high now too. If they can wait the price will go down. If they are worried it might fall on their house during the next summer storm then pay to have it taken down now for peace of mind.
schmellba99
AG
AJ02 said:

We paid $3600 for a GIANT healthy, uprooted oak, 1 giant standing oak, and 2 dead water oaks. Haul away and stump grinding included.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for yours if it doesn't include haul away and stump grinding.
Insert laughing hysterically picture here.
schmellba99
AG
concac said:

rancher1953 said:

OP just want to figure out what is the going rate to get it cut down.

rancher just replied with an honest response.

schmellba99
AG
agz win said:

Bid is high under the circumstances. I live under a forest of giant pines and most I've paid is $800 for removal of a mature loblolly a few feet from my front door about 4 years ago. Crew was out of Huntsville on Highway 190 - took all day, climbed and dropped in sections and cleaned up and took away.

Your tree does not look threatening to me and I'd wait until quotes go back down but if you are stressed then do what you need to do
4 years ago I was paying less than $2/gallon for gas.
AJ02
AG
schmellba99 said:

AJ02 said:

Not sure why that's so hysterical. We've had 12 trees taken down on our property in the last year, including stump grinding and haul away. A tree like the OP posted was less than $400 for our guy. He took it down, cut it up, hauled away, and ground the stumps.

If that's unreasonable to you, perhaps you just suck as a negotiator.
schmellba99
AG
AJ02 said:

schmellba99 said:

AJ02 said:

Not sure why that's so hysterical. We've had 12 trees taken down on our property in the last year, including stump grinding and haul away. A tree like the OP posted was less than $400 for our guy. He took it down, cut it up, hauled away, and ground the stumps.

If that's unreasonable to you, perhaps you just suck as a negotiator.
Post the name and number of your guy
AlaskanAg99
AG
I was quoted $2,800 + $450 for grinding, no haul off. By LogCutters.

Seems high, but they can be here in a week, it's a massive oak right next to my house with very large branches that are over my roof.

I was quoted $2k by a fly by night guy, no grinding.

Wife is very nervous about this tree, will try to get another quote.
AJ02
AG
Why? If someone is interested in actually using him, I'll be more than happy to share his contact info. But I get the impression you're asking that because you have some sort of axe to grind. Not because you actually need his services.
jc1402
AG
I'm closing on a house next month that has a big pine between my back fence and power lines. If it falls either way it's taking the lines or my neighbors house out, so one of my first priorities will be removing it. Any recs from the guys posting their guys for less than OP's would be appreciated. Our realtor told us he just had a similar one removed from his yard for $2500. So I'm curious what other numbers are out there.
AJ02
AG
We had something similar. Large pine next to the power lines. We put in a request with CP to come take a look at it and cut it down. We argued that it posed a risk of taking out their lines.

They sent someone out, agreed with us, and a week later had a crew out to cut it down. It was still on us to haul away and grind the stumps, but that still saved us some money either way.
rancher1953
Make sure whoever you use for tree work is bonded, they have workman's comp and liability insurance. Don't take their word for insurance, get the name of their agent and give him a call to verify their coverage. You need to think about who is going to pay if someone gets injured on your property.
Build It
AG
1200 for a Maple im taking out today about the same size. Maples suck and should not be grown south of Canada. I've had big limbs break out of this tree probably 4 times. Done paying to trim that ****er.
NoahAg
Tell your friend to wait a couple months.
Bert315
AG
I paid $900 for a pine tree roughly that size a couple months ago which included stump grinding and haul away. This was out in Katy. Will try to find the contact info. As others have said you probably will need to wait a couple months as these guys can go higher due to demand.
94chem
Cibalo said:

Friend got quoted $1500 with no haul away for this tree. Seems high to me. Is this the going rate right now?

I had one about 4x that size done for $2500 with grinding and haul away. I think you could get that one for maybe $1000 if you shop around. No more than $1200.

Edit to add that I've probably done over $30K in tree removal the past 7 years. I had one bigger than that laid down this morning. It was leaning on the neighbor's tree. They cut it up and left it on my back 40. $1500. It was in thick east Texas back yard, so they couldn't even haul it out without paying more.

I will also add that if you get it done now, there's no reason to haul it off, at least where I live. Just get it within 10 feet of the street and wait for the claw.

Make sure the crew cuts you some fire wood.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
schmellba99
AG
AJ02 said:

Why? If someone is interested in actually using him, I'll be more than happy to share his contact info. But I get the impression you're asking that because you have some sort of axe to grind. Not because you actually need his services.
Thanks for assuming things, I appreciate it.
AJ02
AG
You laugh at the cost I quoted (implying I don't know what I'm talking about), and then follow it up with what's essentially a "prove it" post. If I "assumed" anything it's based on your specific posts.

Not sure why you have a bug up your ass specific to me. I literally have taken down 12 trees in the past 10-12 months. So yeah, I have specific data points to back up my assertion. My husband and I have used this guy 3 different times and he's always been very reasonable cost-wise, shows up on time, works hard, and gets the job done with no issues.
AgLA06
AG
It doesn't do much good to give a past quote that may or may not be real today based on current situations without someone having the ability to call and find out.
jaggiemaggie
AG
AJ02 said:

Where in Houston was this ?
AJ02
AG
AgLA06 said:

It doesn't do much good to give a past quote that may or may not be real today based on current situations without someone having the ability to call and find out.

And the OP is more than welcome to ask me for that contact info. I didn't see where he/she had done that. Only person that asked for it was Schmelba, in a very sarcastic tone. Not because he actually wanted to utilize the guy's services.

I told you I used him as recently as this March. Yes, I would imagine his pricing could have gone up due to the high demand from the hurricane. But it's not like I quoted pricing from 5 years ago.
AJ02
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

AJ02 said:

Where in Houston was this ?

Spring
AgLA06
AG
I was quoted $1k to cut and stack on the curb a 60'-70' mature pine, no grinding.

$1,200 to cut, grind, and haul off. Cheapest by far of the half dozen people that were working in the neighborhood. Oak Forest area.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.