Houston
Sponsored by

Home generator thread

44,043 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TXTransplant
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DartAg1970 said:

How much should I expect for an electrician to install a 50 amp inlet box?

Same question for HVAC to install a soft start on a 5 ton unit?
For a simple install of a inlet box and interlock ~$500

For a soft start, Wise Guys will do it: micro air soft start | TexAgs
AgLiving06
Be very careful with the Micro-Air soft start.

The Flex has not held up in the Houston weather. I've seen some posts that say their new batches have been hardened to handle the weather, but I'd be concerned.

I actually returned mine because it was definitely part of the bad batch.
Flaith
AG
I installed my Micro-Air Flex a couple months ago, and *knock on wood* have had no issues. However, if I were shopping for soft starts now, given all of the failures, I would look elsewhere.

ICM870
Hyper Engineering SureStart
Airgo
byfLuger41
AG
drumboy said:

terradactylexpress said:

I've heard far enough stories of generacs going out that I would have gone for Cummins or one of the other brands. Yes a lot are maintenance related but not all
I've heard a few stories but folks I know w/ them haven't had issues. I guess when you pay $20K for backup power you expect the backup power to work when needed.

The issue with the Generacs is the low oil censor. I know of multiple friends/neighbors who tripped a "low oil code" when it was actually full. After the tech came out it was nothing more than the censor causing the code.

Other than that I haven't heard about any issues with Generacs. I'm still a fan of Kohler over Generac, but they're both great when considering a full service upgrade.

Switching gears, for those who decided to get a full service gen set, what's the turn around time for install? Just curious as I suspect demand is high.
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
Dill-Ag13
AG
4 months from payment to install (quoted, not actual) for a kohler liquid cooled
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Switching gears, for those who decided to get a full service gen set, what's the turn around time for install? Just curious as I suspect demand is high.
I haven't done the math completely, but mine was about 4 months as well.

However, we also had Beryl in the middle of that and lots of weeks of rain which threw off their installation schedule.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
So don't go with the micro air soft start?
byfLuger41
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

4 months from payment to install (quoted, not actual) for a kohler liquid cooled

That's not bad at all considering wee just went through a major weather event. I was honestly expecting it to be significantly longer than 4 months.

Kohler liquid cooled is the way to go. So glad we went with that option last year as it saved my butt multiple times this year. First the Jericho then Beryl.
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
Dill-Ag13
AG
No joke I was shocked!
TXTransplant
My soft start was installed on Tuesday. Since then I've noticed that sometimes when the unit cycles on/off, my lights flicker or dim. It doesn't seem to happen every time, and when I intentionally cycled the unit on/off last night, I couldn't replicate it.

I have had chronic problems with Centerpoint and my power, so this could just be coincidence.

Anyone else notice this after a soft start install?
AlaskanAg99
AG
No. But I installed my MicroAir softstart start several years ago.
AgLiving06
TXTransplant said:

My soft start was installed on Tuesday. Since then I've noticed that sometimes when the unit cycles on/off, my lights flicker or dim. It doesn't seem to happen every time, and when I intentionally cycled the unit on/off last night, I couldn't replicate it.

I have had chronic problems with Centerpoint and my power, so this could just be coincidence.

I would have expected the opposite to be honest. Since it shouldn't be surging amps anymore, the lights flickering should be less and the AC should be quieter on start up.
SockDePot
AgLiving06 said:

TXTransplant said:

I would have expected the opposite to be honest. Since it shouldn't be surging amps anymore, the lights flickering should be less and the AC should be quieter on start up.

Agreed. I've experienced less flickering. Been installed 2 years now.
TXTransplant
AgLiving06 said:

TXTransplant said:

I had the exact same thought and also would have expected the soft start to reduce any power fluctuations.

Given my history with Centerpoint, the flickering probably wouldn't have even caught my attention. But the BF was over on Tuesday after it was installed and saw the lights flicker. And he immediately wondered if the soft start had something to do with it.
Flaith
AG
How many amps is your electrical service? 200A?

Do you have any big power draw items? Tankless water heater?

As mentioned, soft start should be having the opposite effect. Was a new capacitor installed with the soft start?
TXTransplant
Flaith said:

How many amps is your electrical service? 200A?

Do you have any big power draw items? Tankless water heater?

As mentioned, soft start should be having the opposite effect. Was a new capacitor installed with the soft start?

No clue how many amps my electrical service is. How would I determine this?

Water heater is not tankless - just old school tank that uses gas. Also, no other major appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, etc) were running when the lights flickered.

Got a new capacitor a few years ago. Not sure exactly how long it's been. I think maybe 3-ish (because that's almost how long my BF and I have been together, and he would have chastised me for paying as much as I did).
Flaith
AG
Open your electric panel and see what size the main breakers are.

The one this finger is touching in this picture - you can see the number on there.

Honestly, this is irrelevant. No way your AC is pulling too many amps to blink your lights on grid power. Something else is going on.
TXTransplant
BF said the A/C guy measured my amps after installing the soft start and it's only pulling 11 (don't know what it was pulling before).

Lights flickering isn't an unusual occurrence at my house, which is why I didn't make any connection to the soft start install.

As a side note, same guy installed a soft start on my BF's A/C, and his is still pulling 21 amps. He had trouble getting his A/C to start on the generator back in July. He got it to run once, but when he turned the gen off, he couldn't get the A/C to come back on again.
Diggity
AG
21 is nothing. Seems like a problem on the generator end.

Your lights should definitely not be flickering with such a small draw.
TXTransplant
I'm definitely paying attention now and will keep track of how often the flickers happen and what else is running when they do.

It seems like it's only the can/recessed lights in the kitchen that are flickering when it happens. However, it's not unusual for those to be the only lights on in the main part of the house. So, I'm not sure that really tells me anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.