Houston
Sponsored by

Home generator thread

43,985 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TXTransplant
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'm starting to zero in on the issue.

when I pull off the air filter assembly, the thing runs great on propane and NG. I don't get why it starts to get starved as soon as I put it back on but that seems to be the case.
Breggy Popup
AG
That's a positive I suppose. Try cleaning it, letting it dry and dipping it in clean oil.
Diggity
AG
I was thinking the same, but the silly thing won't run when I put the cover back on and no filter.

Do you think an oil submersion will help the situation? Seems like a bad carb to me
Breggy Popup
AG
Diggity said:

I was thinking the same, but the silly thing won't run when I put the cover back on and no filter.

Do you think an oil submersion will help the situation? Seems like a bad carb to me
The oil is just part of the WH maintenance for the air filter. I was thinking maybe the filter was dirty but it sounds more like a problem with the air intake if it runs fine with no filter or cover.

What happens if you put the cover on while it is running?

Dumb question, are you turning on the choke when starting?
Diggity
AG
the thing dies.

would it be stupid to blast the thing with gumout carb cleaner? seems silly on a brand new generator, but the hassle of returning this thing and finding another one is making me hesitant to give up.
Breggy Popup
AG
Diggity said:

the thing dies.

would it be stupid to blast the thing with gumout carb cleaner? seems silly on a brand new generator, but the hassle of returning this thing and finding another one is making me hesitant to give up.
No idea if the carb cleaner would help or not. It definitely sounds like an air issue.

Dumb question, are you turning on the choke when starting?
Diggity
AG
not a dumb question. I've tried both ways. Feel like I've exhausted about every angle I can control.
Breggy Popup
AG
Diggity said:

not a dumb question. I've tried both ways. Feel like I've exhausted about every angle I can control.

The only other thing I can think of would be check the valve clearances. Something is causing it to starve for air.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's brand new. Go to their website and find an authorized repair shop, call them and bring it in.

This is what I'm doing but I think I know what my issue is. They may say...you forgot to take the wrapper off the air filter (I know this isn't the issue).
Diggity
AG
yeah, guess I'll be calling back. They won't respond to my emails.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Can you post a picture of you cover as installed? I'm wondering if the fit is wrong.
Diggity
AG
Here you go. Not sure how else they would go

AlaskanAg99
AG
Diggity said:

yeah, guess I'll be calling back. They won't respond to my emails.

Make sure you ask if they have room to drop it off.
I was told by 1 shop to call back in a month, I did, and it was another month off. Can't be in the queue if they don't have it in hand.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I take it you have the same auto choke as I have? Is it in auto mode or are you operating in manually ? I wonder if that's malfunctioning.
Diggity
AG
mine looks the same, but I just have "off/cold" and "on/warm".

Breggy Popup
AG

I snipped this pic from a video review of your model. I would check for blockages, loose hoses or kinked hoses starting from the bottom of the air filter housing through the carbon canister to wherever the air intake is.

My theory is when the filter housing is open the engine is sucking in all the fresh air it wants. When you close it up, whatever is in the housing is used up and the engine stops. Nothing is getting into the filter housing. No air, no combustion, engines dies.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Seems like whatever air that is supposed to be getting in from the vents in the bottom isn't happening.

I didn't see any obvious kinks when I looked at it just now, but I'll take a closer look in the daylight.

Thanks for helping me diagnose this. Been a learning experience!

Diggity
AG
I don't think I mentioned this already, but when I took out the engine oil that came with the generator, it looked like pea soup. Keep in mind, the thing maybe ran for a total of a minute or two after I filled it.

Is that common? I had never seen oil look like that.

Breggy Popup
AG
Was the pea soup stuff IN the generator? It is supposed to ship with no oil in it.

Regardless, anytime I have encountered oil that looks like that it had gotten water in it and emulsified.
Diggity
AG
I used the quart of oil that was provided with the generator. Thought it looked a little odd on the dipstick but didn't notice how nasty it was until I drained it.
AgLiving06
That's not how mine looks when I drain it, granted they may have given you break-in oil and maybe that's different than regular.

I did google around on Westinghouses' and it seems like replacing the carb is a standard thing on those. If you've never put gasoline in it, it shouldn't have been bad, but seems like that happens.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Whoa, negative. Mine most definitely did not look like that after running for the entire break in period. I think it's recommended you run their Dino oil for the break in, then switch to synthetic. I think I'd complete the break in with more Dino then make the switch.
AgLiving06
@Diggity...to confirm, it runs fine when you remove the filter? Seems like an airflow issue at that point.
Diggity
AG
Correct. Don't have much issue keeping it running with no filter/cover
SnowboardAg
AG
By chance does your regulator have little plastic plug caps around it - if so, those need to be removed as part of the packaging. Not saying this is it, but I ran into a similar issue on mine where those caps restrict the diaphragm from moving properly.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Is that the 11500 Diggity? Mine ran great on propane on second attempt. Might be a defect.

I chased the rabbit hole on 1/2" hose and it'll run fine, a guy did the calcs on btus vs %load and no meter upgrade from the 7" WC/250cfh standard meters is needed.
Diggity
AG
Correct.

I think it must be a defect. We'll see how long it takes to get looked at.
Diggity
AG
Well the good news is that I've been able to start the break in period today.

I discovered (somewhat accidentally) that the engine stays running if I have a load on it (hair dryer in this case). Once I shut down the load, the engine will stall.

Anyone have ideas on what would be causing this? Seems to not like idling.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Picked up Westinghouse 13,000 trifuel today. Ran it off Natural Gas and went through the interlock process and powered on zones. Couldn't get ac started but I didn't really try shutting everything down and I don't have soft start yet.

So far, so good!
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Which model? 9500tfc, 10500tfc, 11500tfc or 14500tfc? If you scored a 14500tfc, I'd be curious to know where you came by it
ttha_aggie_09
AG
13k but the model is 10,500 Tri Fuel
Diggity
AG
I tested the house on the generator. Can't run the back of the house with just the 2 ton AC without crapping out.

Not sure if it's a gas pressure issue or just a crappy unit but I'm getting frustrated. Might just return this thing and wait for the larger Duramax.
SnowboardAg
AG
Lemon law - return it if you can. Sounds like a lot more problems then you should have
justsomeguy
AG
Diggity said:

Got my Westinghouse today and attempted to break it in.

Not having much luck so far. The generator starts up fine on NG but turns itself off after about 10 seconds.

I'm not sure if it's not getting enough pressure from the gas meter or what. Seems like it should be able to idle even if pressure is low but what do I know?

I'm planning on getting a propane tank to test that out and try to isolate the issue. Would rather not put any gasoline in there if I can avoid it.

FWIW, had the exact same issue and I closed the NG valve almost halfway and it started and ran perfect. Then I slowly opened it up.
justsomeguy
AG
Diggity said:

I tested the house on the generator. Can't run the back of the house with just the 2 ton AC without crapping out.

Not sure if it's a gas pressure issue or just a crappy unit but I'm getting frustrated. Might just return this thing and wait for the larger Duramax.

Put a soft start on it. Even if it's a 2 ton, it still is drawing more amps at startup than your gen can output.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.