Houston
Sponsored by

Home generator thread

43,981 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TXTransplant
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

My guess is it's appealing because the generator is in a weatherproof housing and can be kept outside.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of moving mine around and would prefer something that is enclosed. But something like the Kohler would have been almost 2x what I paid for the Duromax.

And I do want to be able to take it with me if I ever move.
You could get one of those outdoor boxes from Lowes or Home Depot and keep it in there and just open it up when you need to use it so it gets air. My FIL built a batting cage in his backyard and keeps a lot of the equipment/balls that my kids use in one and it all stays dry.

Given it's a generator, something like this would be ideal:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tozey-4-ft-2-in-x-2-ft-5-in-205-Gal-Horizontal-Resin-Storage-Deck-Box-T-PSB0094D4WGY/325430873

Edit...should have kept scrolling. What Flaith said.
TXTransplant
Thanks. That was the original plan. I looked at a couple on Amazon. We were even going to put down a concrete pad for it to sit on. I may still go that route, but the stupid thing has to get hooked up first.

It wasn't bad having it on the patio. I don't want to keep it in the garage and have to roll it all the way around to the opposite side of my house in the grass.
aTm2004
AG
I wouldn't even do concrete. I'd put build a base with treated 2x4 and then put some pea gravel for the base, then do some concrete squares and fill in gaps with sand or pea gravel.
lb sand
AG
yes, I did this for 7 days.
Southside AG
AG1904
AG
Just a word of caution on the concrete pad. I didn't like my grass getting burned up from the generator so I decided to run it on my pool deck after the storm. It shut down on me a couple of times I believe due to overheating. Once the sun came out, the heat from the generator itself, combined with the heat from the sun, caused that pool deck to get super hot and all of that heat was reflected back up to the generator. Once I moved it back onto the grass, it ran fine from then on. Running the Wgen7500df.
lb sand
AG
I did the same thing, but I had an EZ up pop tent I put over the generator to keep the afternoon sun off of it.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
This is my back of the napkin costs to get a 13k Trifuel generator up and running
I have a gas line there already running a grill, outdoor fireplace , side burner and water heater that has more than enough btus available
Would use nat gas and would install a soft start on my 5 ton ac with a rough usage of 7400watts used max

Anything I'm missing or seem off

Sea Speed
AG
You can probably bring costs down a bit sourcing some of the stuff at HD and Amazon, which would bring down the install costs slightly, but that seems correct from my recent setup, although it was a dual fuel setup.
Diggity
AG
depending on how far away you want the generator, your prices for the two cords may be a bit low, but probably no more than $300 + tax for both.

I've been surprised how much 50a cords and gas hoses cost.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
My distance should be less than 20feet
jbanda
AG
Good idea on the weatherproof enclosure. I had some badly needed drainage work done on my backyard and side yard a few weeks ago. I also had them rock in the side of my house.

I believe I'll invest in a weatherproof enclosure and put it just inside the gate. I can then roll out the gennie when needed.

During Beryl, I ran the electrical cable and the gas hose around to just outside of the garage where the gennie was set up. Next time I'll probably run it from the rocked area. The neighbors garage (not living areas/rooms) is adjacent to this area so less of a CO risk.

rilloaggie
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

My distance should be less than 20feet
The Westinghouse gen comes with a 20' hose. I spent $200 or so for a 50' cord (50amp).
MrWonderful
AG
AG1904 said:

Just a word of caution on the concrete pad. I didn't like my grass getting burned up from the generator so I decided to run it on my pool deck after the storm. It shut down on me a couple of times I believe due to overheating. Once the sun came out, the heat from the generator itself, combined with the heat from the sun, caused that pool deck to get super hot and all of that heat was reflected back up to the generator. Once I moved it back onto the grass, it ran fine from then on. Running the Wgen7500df.
I plug an air mover into one of the 20 amp outlets, and point it back at the generator. That helps too
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I bought the 13,000 watt Duromax Tri Fuel after Derecho. Hired a plumber to hook up my gas lines, and although it started right up with propane, it never would start when running on natural gas. So I called Duromax and tried to troubleshoot it but they basically gaslit me into thinking it was a pressure issue and offered to warranty it through a local small engine shop. So after Beryl I returned it to HD, looked around, and ended up buying the larger Firman from Costco for $699. Hooked it up yesterday and it started right up. As a data point, it ran my two fridges and two window units, so I'm happy.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
YellAg2004
AG
If I drain the (ethanol) gas and put some ethanol-free in along with some Seafoam and run it until dry, is that enough to clean out the carburetor and have it prepped for storage? Or do I need to tear down the carburetor since I ran ethanol gas in it for Beryl?
Tabasco
AG
I ended up getting a Westinghouse 5000watt duel fuel inverter on amazon prime day after Beryl. My wife just sent me this, so Public Service Annoucement.

Basically FEMA saying they will/might reimburse you for portable generators purchased from July 5-20 up to $3000. I just filled stuff on their online link in article. FYI, you submit basic application, then you have to go back to "check status" and THEN upload copies of receipts. Will be interesting if it works. They are waiving the medical necessity clause, so basically if you bought a generator in affected area of Houston, they might reimburse. Not holding my breath though.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/hurricane/2024/07/25/494776/fema-assistance-houston-generators-hurricane-beryl/
MrWonderful
AG
YellAg2004 said:

If I drain the (ethanol) gas and put some ethanol-free in along with some Seafoam and run it until dry, is that enough to clean out the carburetor and have it prepped for storage? Or do I need to tear down the carburetor since I ran ethanol gas in it for Beryl?
Most carbs have a drain screw on or near the bottom, I drain my carb after a storm so everything is completely dry. There is probably an ounce of gas in the carb bowl even after it dies, so not an insignificant amount of fuel.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Bought a Generac 2 years ago. Kicked on after the storm knocked out power and ran for 60+ hours without a problem until Tex NM restored power.
terradactylexpress
Mine is being delivered in a week!

Question about pads etc. my old generator in was able to run on an area of my yard that has black star gravel which was perfect, with the NG hookup I think I'm going to have to run it where I have artificial turf. What sort of portable platform would make sense to keep the heat from melting the grass? MDF board?
Dill-Ag13
AG
I would build a cheap deck personally. I am planning on building an area for mine using simple 12 x 12 pavers
Dill-Ag13
AG
I am planning my natural gas hook up, the ones that I have seen plumbers do don't have sediment traps… Is this an oversight or are they not necessary for these portable generators?
SnowboardAg
AG
I don't have a sediment trap on my portable NG setup. I didn't use a plumber, but had a friend install many of these valves off their meter, and not aware that this is necessary.

I have about 300 hrs on my generator and no issues yet
Flaith
AG
My NG line had a sediment trap installed. I broke the connection right above that, installed a Tee to the valve/QD, and then re-installed the trap pipe on the lower leg of the Tee.

Not sure what is code, but there was definitely some small sediment in the pipe when I removed it, which makes sense since the gas lines in to the house are cast black iron.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Thanks, won't add one. Less connections to fail.
schmellba99
AG
Tabasco said:

I ended up getting a Westinghouse 5000watt duel fuel inverter on amazon prime day after Beryl. My wife just sent me this, so Public Service Annoucement.

Basically FEMA saying they will/might reimburse you for portable generators purchased from July 5-20 up to $3000. I just filled stuff on their online link in article. FYI, you submit basic application, then you have to go back to "check status" and THEN upload copies of receipts. Will be interesting if it works. They are waiving the medical necessity clause, so basically if you bought a generator in affected area of Houston, they might reimburse. Not holding my breath though.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/hurricane/2024/07/25/494776/fema-assistance-houston-generators-hurricane-beryl/
I wasn't able to buy a generator until August 1st, wonder if that would qualify or if that July 20th is a hard date and anythin gafter that is just too bad on you.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

I am planning my natural gas hook up, the ones that I have seen plumbers do don't have sediment traps… Is this an oversight or are they not necessary for these portable generators?
My understanding is that they are considered good practice but are not required for outdoor temporary hookup. Mine has one. Some standby generators have a built in sediment trap, which suggests to me that it is a good idea even if not required.

https://support.generac.com/s/article/What-Does-the-Integrated-Sediment-Trap-in-My-Home-Standby-Generator-Do#:~:text=The%20integrated%20sediment%20trap%20is%20factory%20installed,entering%20the%20fuel%20regulator%20and%20the%20engine.
Tabasco
AG
schmellba99 said:

Tabasco said:

I wasn't able to buy a generator until August 1st, wonder if that would qualify or if that July 20th is a hard date and anythin gafter that is just too bad on you.

Probably a hard date. They denied mine even though I met every single criteria and provided all documentation. I guess I will appeal
NoahAg
YellAg2004 said:

You may want to unscrew the carburetor cup (I think that's what it's called) and empty it out b/c fuel can still be sitting in it.

Oops, didn't see MrWonderful already answered.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Tabasco said:

schmellba99 said:

Tabasco said:

Probably a hard date. They denied mine even though I met every single criteria and provided all documentation. I guess I will appeal
I orderd mine on 7/12 and applied, my app is still pending.
texsn95
AG
Has anyone had a Kohler or Cummins installed? Not sold on Generac yet.
drumboy
AG
Is this just for whole home installed generators or we doing backfed setups?

I got this 10 days before Beryl and it powered everything other than the washing machine for 3 days. Went through about 10 gallons of gas a day running nonstop.

Modern Farmhouse shelter before I moved everything further way from the house.
Jethro95
AG
Put in a Cummins 20kw after Uri. No issues.
Diggity
AG
love that generator box!
drumboy
AG
Diggity said:

love that generator box!
Thanks, I didn't love moving it by myself to the middle of the yard and lifting it over the generator a 1AM when it started raining.

Kids got great use out of it and we rehomed it last week.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.