Houston
Sponsored by

Shots fired at Lakewood

12,352 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by El Gallo Blanco
El Gallo Blanco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sea Speed said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

DustysLineup said:

The obsession that trans folk have with Palestine is odd.
They basically, likely out of hatred and/or envy, just default to the opposite political and ideological positions of normal, reasonable, conservative/moderate people. They have been conditioned to think we all hate them and want them all killed off.

Well you can't expect them to be logical because they are all mentally ill.
Yep...We are basically radicalizing and inciting a bunch of mentally ill people who used to just want to fly under the radar for the most part and be treated like everyone else. It is to the point where the LGBTQ zealots literally think you are a hate filled bigot if you do not want gay cartoon p0rn like "Gender Queer" in your child's school library. They have compared Desantis to Hitler for getting that garbage out of kids libraries.
El Gallo Blanco
chico said:

honest question as I don't know. But how was the shooter able to legally buy the weapons (as has been reported)? I thought arrests and/or convictions and/or mental health issues prevented one from legally buying weapons. No red flag laws so the family and neighbors calling the police don't matter, but what about the prior legal issues? Not trying to start a debate, but did this fall through the cracks or were the legal issues not severe enough?
I have kind of skimmed through articles somehow. Was there anything confirming she bought a gun legally? Sorry if I missed something.
chico
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

chico said:

honest question as I don't know. But how was the shooter able to legally buy the weapons (as has been reported)? I thought arrests and/or convictions and/or mental health issues prevented one from legally buying weapons. No red flag laws so the family and neighbors calling the police don't matter, but what about the prior legal issues? Not trying to start a debate, but did this fall through the cracks or were the legal issues not severe enough?
I have kind of skimmed through articles somehow. Was there anything confirming she bought a gun legally? Sorry if I missed something.
Channel 13 in Houston, 3rd paragraph
El Gallo Blanco
chico said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

chico said:

Channel 13 in Houston, 3rd paragraph

Ah, gotcha...I am still taking that with a grain of salt, given the media's proclivity to always insert their anti-gun talking points. Would like to see how they KNOW she obtained it legally. Just SOME evidence, or a quote from someone who knows her.

But yeah, I am a fervent 2A supporter, however, people with outright schizophrenia and a criminal rap sheet are the exact type of people who should not be able to buy these guns. Curious to know how she legally obtained, but we'll likely never find out.
chico
AG
Maybe they're all writing before everything's confirmed (wouldn't be shocking), but here's 2 more - both published today claiming purchased legally.

The shooter used an AR-15 with a "Palestine" sticker on it during the attack, which she legally purchased in December, police said

Shooter at Joel Osteen church bought weapon legally
El Gallo Blanco
chico said:

Maybe they're all writing before everything's confirmed (wouldn't be shocking), but here's 2 more - both published today claiming purchased legally.

The shooter used an AR-15 with a "Palestine" sticker on it during the attack, which she legally purchased in December, police said

That's nuts. This person should have been in a loony bin. Clinical psychos with such crime records should not be able to buy guns like you and me.
ccolley68
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

chico said:

That's nuts. This person should have been in a loony bin. Clinical psychos with such crime records should not be able to buy guns like you and me.

Not having loony bins anymore is half the problem. It seems like 99% of the time anything like this happens, as time goes on, we find out all the mental health and dangerous tendencies of the shooters. But because we are so soft now, people who have no business being in society are not just allowed to stay in society, but are encouraged.

It's a difficult thing, and if it was one of my kids it would rip my heart out to have to have them institutionalized, but if a person is medicated for schizophrenia, they need to be removed from society. I'm sure the medication can keep it at bay, and so long as they stay on it can be normal productive people, but the concern is if/when they get off the meds for whatever reason. It just takes one slip and what happened at Lakewood can be the result.

I have a friend in my hometown whose brother is heavily medicated for mental health reasons. I don't know specifically what it is, but know he's on meds. Just a week ago, he goes from years of being normal to off his meds a few days and next thing you know he's posting nonstop on Facebook, one post is a hardcore hell and damnation christianesque diatribe followed immediately by a post of hardcore lesbian sex pics, and it's just those over and over all day for 3 days. In between posts he spent his time calling people he knew and random people, harassing them, telling them Jesus is coming and they will burn in hell for their transgressions in a very aggressive and threatening, messiah cultish type of way. My friend is a good person, from a good family, that has one bad apple, but he needs to be kept in check just like this shooter because the next time he slips off his meds, maybe tomorrow, maybe 5 more years from now, or maybe never, but the next time may be more physical to someone, not just phone and social media craziness.
El Gallo Blanco
ccolley68 said:

El Gallo Blanco said:

chico said:

Not having loony bins anymore is half the problem. It seems like 99% of the time anything like this happens, as time goes on, we find out all the mental health and dangerous tendencies of the shooters. But because we are so soft now, people who have no business being in society are not just allowed to stay in society, but are encouraged.

It's a difficult thing, and if it was one of my kids it would rip my heart out to have to have them institutionalized, but if a person is medicated for schizophrenia, they need to be removed from society. I'm sure the medication can keep it at bay, and so long as they stay on it can be normal productive people, but the concern is if/when they get off the meds for whatever reason. It just takes one slip and what happened at Lakewood can be the result.

I have a friend in my hometown whose brother is heavily medicated for mental health reasons. I don't know specifically what it is, but know he's on meds. Just a week ago, he goes from years of being normal to off his meds a few days and next thing you know he's posting nonstop on Facebook, one post is a hardcore hell and damnation christianesque diatribe followed immediately by a post of hardcore lesbian sex pics, and it's just those over and over all day for 3 days. In between posts he spent his time calling people he knew and random people, harassing them, telling them Jesus is coming and they will burn in hell for their transgressions in a very aggressive and threatening, messiah cultish type of way. My friend is a good person, from a good family, that has one bad apple, but he needs to be kept in check just like this shooter because the next time he slips off his meds, maybe tomorrow, maybe 5 more years from now, or maybe never, but the next time may be more physical to someone, not just phone and social media craziness.
Yep, it's pretty scary...my wife's cousin did something similar when she was going through finals at Stanford...not sure if she got off her meds, or if the pressure just got to her, but she went into a pretty nasty and embarrassing episode where she made a long series of very crazy and inappropriate posts on FB that lasted about a week. People tried to intervene but she just kept doubling down. Went from seemingly perfectly normal to out of her ever loving mind overnight. I honestly felt awful for her. Luckily for her and her fam, I think it was an isolated deal and she has been largely fine since then.

Then there's Thomas Johnson, the former stud A&M football player who went AWOL during his sophomore season, after teammates reported that he was saying some pretty crazy stuff...fast forward a few years and he ends up hacking an unsuspecting jogger to death in broad daylight with a machete.

I think in both cases, involuntary treatment may have been warranted. Maybe more short term for the girl in the first example.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17596903/ex-texas-standout-thomas-johnson-accused-killing-man-dallas
DrZ
AG
in 1950 there were roughly 500,000 people in mental hospitals in this country. Today 37,000.
There were severe problems with the system but rather than holding people accountable they just closed it down.

Population has gone up by 2.24 times. It would be 1,120,000 today by the same standards.

LostInLA07
AG
I wonder what happened to the prison population in that same period of time.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
DrZ said:

in 1950 there were roughly 500,000 people in mental hospitals in this country. Today 37,000.
There were severe problems with the system but rather than holding people accountable they just closed it down.

Population has gone up by 2.24 times. It would be 1,120,000 today by the same standards.

Interesting. Source or link for a lazy person like me?
DrZ
AG
The American Mental Asylum: A Remnant of History | Psychology Today

prison went from 200,000 to 1.2 million
so total in 1950 was 700,000.
2021 - 1,237,000 total

population went up by 2.3 times.
meaning fewer people are confined today than in 1950
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not saying turning them loose is a good solution, but there is a limit to how many people I can pay to not work.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
DrZ said:

It would be a lot more than just 2.24x by 1950s standards. A hell of a lot more today's "normal" behavior would land you in a straight jacket 70 years ago.
chico
AG
common tv fare 60-70 years ago during the dinner hour, Bob Hope and Milton Berle
ccolley68
AG
chico said:

common tv fare 60-70 years ago during the dinner hour, Bob Hope and Milton Berle

Not even comparable. Those are two legendary comedians, dressed up for a gag, never attempting to get people to call them actual women. It's the equivalent of a powderpuff football game. All done jokingly in good fun. In now times, those drag queens aren't doing it as a gag, rather demanding that you call them women, allow them to dress in ladies dressing rooms, piss in ladies restrooms, and teach your children about their mental illness as if it's a beautiful thing.
Al Bula
AG
chico said:

Your example happened decades after women began acting in film and on TV. Hollyweird has been normalizing deviancy in many forms since mass media was economical.

Lampooning is just one of the many forms the multiple gender folks used to make this seem commonplace.

Before Hollywood it was done elsewhere.
Diggity
AG
I blame Shakespeare
dBoy99
AG
chico said:

Did Bob & Milt tuck their wieners between their legs and wear bikini cut panties? Are those prosthetic tits or just bras stuffed with toilet paper?
TJaggie14
AG
The articles now coming out about this tragedy seems to be centering/pushing for red flag laws. The news is reporting that despite previous arrest, and documented mental health issues the shooter was able to legally purchase the firearm in Dec 2023.

"Moreno was arrested at least six times between 2005 and 2022, according to records obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Charges include unlawful carrying of a weapon, assault of a public servant, assault causing bodily injury, forgery, theft and marijuana possession."
"Investigators said Moreno was placed under an emergency detention order in 2016. In Texas, an emergency detention order allows a court to detain a person with a mental illness who "poses a substantial risk of serious harm to themselves or to others."
https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/the-lakewood-church-shooters-long-record-of-red-flags/

I admit I am ignorant when it comes to this, so I'm hoping for some clarification. My question is, if current laws in place were followed properly would this shooter have been able to legally purchase a firearm?
chilidogfood
AG
You have to be careful about red flag laws, since we are talking about barring people from a constitutional right. We don't want to make it too simple for the Government or local Karen to deny a citizen from their 2A rights.

That said, they should not have been permitted to purchase a firearm under the current ATF firearm transfer forms part 11F and perhaps 11H, based on the rumors of their history. I'm not sure how those types of records are kept and how searchable they are from the ATF.

link
chico
AG
Houston Chronicle saying:
Despite a history of arrests and misdemeanor convictions, Texas state law likely allowed alleged Lakewood Church shooter Genesse Moreno to purchase guns
dBoy99
AG
State law? Huh?

Resellers require a FEDERAL Firearms License. Did she purchase it from a retail/reseller or from some dude on craigslist?
El Gallo Blanco
chico said:

Houston Chronicle saying:
Despite a history of arrests and misdemeanor convictions, Texas state law likely allowed alleged Lakewood Church shooter Genesse Moreno to purchase guns
Ah, so they're just trying to get their talking points in and reinforce narratives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.