Houston
Sponsored by

Homeowners Insurance

8,241 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EngineeringArcher
sosolik
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wessimo said:

Holy crap just got our renewal and our policy went from $3900 to $7200. Never filed a claim. Ridiculous.
I had something similar happen and learned it was because they deemed my 14 year old roof was not in good condition. So, I filed a claim due to April hail storm and insurance paid for a new roof.
wessimo
AG
My insurer said something similar.

Are you in Houston? If so, what roofer did you use?
sosolik
AG
wessimo said:

My insurer said something similar.

Are you in Houston? If so, what roofer did you use?
Sent PM
Breggy Popup
AG
sosolik said:

wessimo said:

Holy crap just got our renewal and our policy went from $3900 to $7200. Never filed a claim. Ridiculous.
I had something similar happen and learned it was because they deemed my 14 year old roof was not in good condition. So, I filed a claim due to April hail storm and insurance paid for a new roof.

Nice. I had actual damage on my roof and USAA denied the claim. So I paid cash for a new roof last year, and they jacked my premium up 40%.
sosolik
AG
Bregxit said:

sosolik said:

wessimo said:

Nice. I had actual damage on my roof and USAA denied the claim. So I paid cash for a new roof last year, and they jacked my premium up 40%.
Amica denied my first claim submission but we gathered more photos and map showing hail at my house. They approved on 2nd submission.
Breggy Popup
AG
sosolik said:

Bregxit said:

sosolik said:

wessimo said:

Amica denied my first claim submission but we gathered more photos and map showing hail at my house. They approved on 2nd submission.

USAA dude was on my roof with the roofer and said no despite every piece of flashing being dented and the rubbery things aroubd the vents having holes punched through them. I also had pics from multiple hail events.

Just pulled the trigger with State Farm. Should be switched within a day or two. Auto is about the same. HO is 3900 and will go lower once I get the insurance certificate from Smith Thompson.
wessimo
AG
What does a new roof cost these days?
Breggy Popup
AG
wessimo said:

Mine was $19,248.
sosolik
AG
Bregxit said:

sosolik said:

Bregxit said:

sosolik said:

wessimo said:

USAA dude was on my roof with the roofer and said no despite every piece of flashing being dented and the rubbery things aroubd the vents having holes punched through them. I also had pics from multiple hail events.

Just pulled the trigger with State Farm. Should be switched within a day or two. Auto is about the same. HO is 3900 and will go lower once I get the insurance certificate from Smith Thompson.
That sucks!
wessimo
AG
Bregxit said:

wessimo said:

Mine was $19,248.

Dang. Not a lot more than my deductible.
Breggy Popup
AG
wessimo said:

Bregxit said:

wessimo said:

Mine was $19,248.

Dang. Not a lot more than my deductible.

That was right before a big price jump. My guy showed me the prices he just had gotten in and my roof would have been around $24k a couple weeks later.
AndAg
AG
Man, you all must have some expensive houses. Mine jumped to 3k a year and I thought that was terrible.
Breggy Popup
AG
I don't even know what counts as expensive anymore. We paid 270k for ours in 2013. It probably originally sold for around 220 in 2004. Apparently in 2023 the rebuild cost is over 600k. Yay inflation.
AndAg
AG
Crazy. I am barely in Montgomery county so that probably helps me a bit as well.

Still, went up over a grand in a year without any claims.
Breggy Popup
AG
AndAg said:

Crazy. I am barely in Montgomery county so that probably helps me a bit as well.

Still, went up over a grand in a year without any claims.

I'm solidly in MoCo. Anyhow, State Farm policies went in effect yesterday and I cancelled USAA today.
AndAg
AG
My house being newer (built in 2020) must help me a little as well then. Looks like I can look forward to ever increasing premiums.
aTm2004
AG
Yep, because that roof gets older every year.
Breggy Popup
AG
aTm2004 said:

But they won't go back down with a brand new roof.
htxag09
AG
Bregxit said:

aTm2004 said:

Sure they will. Obviously not to what it was a few years ago. But I replaced my roof in January, notified my insurance, and they sent me a check as a credit for what may premium dropped over the remainder of the year.
Breggy Popup
AG
htxag09 said:

Bregxit said:

aTm2004 said:

Sure they will. Obviously not to what it was a few years ago. But I replaced my roof in January, notified my insurance, and they sent me a check as a credit for what may premium dropped over the remainder of the year.

When I reported my new roof last year they lowered my premium by $104. Then they raised it $2200 this year.

I don't qualify that as going down.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, mine went down a few bucks. Pretty depressing
htxag09
AG
Bregxit said:

htxag09 said:

Bregxit said:

aTm2004 said:

When I reported my new roof last year they lowered my premium by $104. Then they raised it $2200 this year.

I don't qualify that as going down.

There's obviously way more variables than just your roof age. Nobody is saying premiums are doubling just because your roof is one year older.

The current insurance model isn't sustainable. Something has to give.
AndAg
AG
Yeah, pretty sure my insurance didn't go up $1200 because my roof went from two to three years old.
sosolik
AG
AndAg said:

Yeah, pretty sure my insurance didn't go up $1200 because my roof went from two to three years old.

You might be surprised.
aTm2004
AG
True, but the age of thing in your house is taken into account.
wessimo
AG
texsn95 said:

Goosehead (Mercury) home quote was up 1k, and Progressive auto was up another 25%, so we went with Matt Tupa at State Farm and got our home and auto back to what it was, and only $250/yar for a 1MM umbrella policy. Kyle was the point man.

Kyle Packman, Insurance Account Representative
Matt Tupa State Farm
14531 FM 529 Rd Suite 175
Houston, TX 77095
(P) 281.345.1650
kyle.packman.wkk2@statefarm.com | agentmatttupa.com

State Farm FTW, they quoted a home policy at half the cost of Travelers for similar coverage.
aggiebrad94
AG
Just remember that every company will change their rates every year due to exposure in your area. It makes great financial sense to ask around each year to find out what company wants your business the most and has the least amount of exposure.
Sazerac
AG
My latest renewal just came in.

2022: $2200
2023: $3200 and increased deductible super high
2024: $5000!
Rule Number 32
AG
Mine went 2200, 3500, 5600 for the last 3 years since we bought this house.

I actually got a decent quote today from an Allstate guy, so looks like we will be switching this year.
bmet
AG
From what I've been hearing from multiple roofers as after the last 3 months of storms in the Houston area...don't even think about going with SF or Allstate if you want to be paid for wind/storm damage. I assume they might be fine if your house burns down. (I currently have a SF policy, but I've heard enough to switch even if it costs me a bit more).
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Rule Number 32 said:

Mine went 2200, 3500, 5600 for the last 3 years since we bought this house.

I actually got a decent quote today from an Allstate guy, so looks like we will be switching this year.

Yea mine went from $1400 in 2017 to $6700 in 2024. Last few years I was able to shop and keep it around $3600 but no options this year. Had my renewal and no other options.
Rule Number 32
AG
bmet said:

From what I've been hearing from multiple roofers as after the last 3 months of storms in the Houston area...don't even think about going with SF or Allstate if you want to be paid for wind/storm damage. I assume they might be fine if your house burns down. (I currently have a SF policy, but I've heard enough to switch even if it costs me a bit more).

This is good to know. Appreciate the insight.

One thing the Allstate guy mentioned was some of their policies have a 10% deductible for hurricanes. That is insane. Might as well just burn my house down completely if I had hurricane damage at that point.

The Allstate quote I got was a full $2000 a year cheaper than my current renewal with sagesure. We did have a tree lay down on our house during beryl but it doesn't appear to have done any damage. I'm trying to get a roofer for an inspection just to make sure. We've never had a homeowners claim before and have owned homes since 2008, so it is crazy how much rates have gone up
TXTransplant
bmet said:

I got a new roof approved by State Farm the week before the storm. Dumb luck, I probably had the industry's best/nicest adjuster. He approved my roof and my neighbor across the street based on damage from multiple hail storms, several just in the last year. I had heard all the bad things about SF (had procrastinated on this because I just didn't want to deal with them) and was prepared to be denied.

I've been with SF for about 20 years as a homeowner (longer on vehicle), and this is my first homeowner's claim.

Our houses are about 13 years old, and the adjuster did say that, if you wait too long then wear and tear due to the age of your roof can cause them to deny your claim - even if you have weather event damage. Basically the wear and tear becomes more significant than the damage.

I'm not sure if it would get approved now, though, just because so many people have trees on their houses and obviously worse damage.

My premium jumped about 25% from last year to this. I know that's not as big of an increase as others are getting, but I'm expecting more over the next few years due to age and the stupid crazy weather events we've had. Worst case scenario would have been paying higher insurance rates as well as OOP for a new roof.
EngineeringArcher
AG
Something's definitely got to give. I moved to the Houston area and had a house built last year. My insurance was fairly cheap through a local broker last year, something like $1800. This year it increased to $2800. I am a long time USAA member (and former employee), and it's quite clear to me they don't want to write in Harris County. Their quote was something like $6000. I fear that insurance will quickly become unaffordable to many. I was flabbergasted by the 2% deductible that seems to be the norm here these days. Back in Dallas my deductible was $1000.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.