Houston
Sponsored by

Homeowners Insurance

8,088 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EngineeringArcher
Breggy Popup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got my homeowner insurance renewal from USAA. It was already expensive at around $5000 but the renewal has jumped 40% to $7200. That is insane.

I am curious which companies you guys are using and are happy with in the Houston area. I am in Spring off 45/Rayford. I have no desire to go through Liere again.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I was with USAA for roughly 15 years, but had noticed a massive uptick in what I was paying. I just went with a Katy-based Allstate agent who was able to get insurance (homeowners and auto) that is almost identical to what I had with USAA but for about half what I was paying. Comparing apples-to-apples, the coverages are identical, although I have a 3% deductible rather than 2% on the wind/hail clause.
AJ02
AG
We have amica. USAA was crazy expensive compared to Amica.
apoglo12
AG
Mine went from 4K to 6.8k this year. Someone referred me to scott.mcnab.mahx@statefarm.com who was able to get me down to 3500, then I bundled car insurance (comparable switch, no real savings on just car insurance) and my home owners went down to 2500. Highly recommend.
Breggy Popup
AG
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Has anyone used Farmers or Nationwide?
JSKolache
AG
Call a couple brokers in you area and let them do the shopping for you.
TarponChaser
Always a good idea to shop around but insurance rates have gone nuts across the board.
Breggy Popup
AG
TarponChaser said:

Always a good idea to shop around but insurance rates have gone nuts across the board.
The couple of quotes I have gotten so far are about 45-50% of what I am paying for USAA. My total for the year at USAA is $10700 for auto and homeowners. I have three quotes so far ranging from $4500-$5000 for auto and home.

Not to be overly dramatic, but damn I feel like a rape victim lol.
htxag09
AG
I've always used liere. Last year I switched to goosehead because they found me lower. This year my policy doubled so I shopped goosehead and liere again. They found the same policy, but goosehead was going to charge the finders fee again so switched back to liere.

Homeowners is with homeowners of America now.
maroon barchetta
Who?
htxag09
AG
https://www.google.com/

https://hoaic.com/
Daddy-O5
AG
That's crazy, I'm with USAA and have shopped around a couple of times in years past, nothing significant enough to make a move though. Will have to keep an eye on it next time it though. Following this thread JIC.
Breggy Popup
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

That's crazy, I'm with USAA and have shopped around a couple of times in years past, nothing significant enough to make a move though. Will have to keep an eye on it next time it though. Following this thread JIC.

If I am reading your username correctly you're a veteran. I'm a legacy. My Marine buddy and I were comparing our policies and it looks like two different companies handle vets versus non-vets. His is the Garrison company, mine is Casualty Insurance Company. His policy is less than half of mine and we have very similar homes in the same neighborhood. I am guessing that's the difference.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Not a fan of the finders fee.
htxag09
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Yep...moved away from them for my homeowners and landlord insurance because of it.
AgLiving06
htxag09 said:

I've always used liere. Last year I switched to goosehead because they found me lower. This year my policy doubled so I shopped goosehead and liere again. They found the same policy, but goosehead was going to charge the finders fee again so switched back to liere.

Homeowners is with homeowners of America now.

Goosehead will waive the "finder fee" if you push them.

My dad pointed out that he could get the same rates they offered without the fee and they offered to forego them.
Daddy-O5
AG
Not a vet, legacy as well. I've heard all the complaints (justified I'm sure) about USAA, but I've always had good experiences. I shopped a couple of times and they were always slightly higher but, in the ballpark, so I've stayed. Might need to shop a little harder. Might go the broker route this time just to make sure my shopping is thorough enough.
Breggy Popup
AG
Yeah keep an eye on it. I was shocked. I was even more shocked when I got quotes from State Farm, Amica and Travelers. I am still waiting on four others.

Htownag11
AG
Just beware - a lot of companies will give you a low rate the 1st year to get you to switch and then next year it'll be right up where your last provider was.

Doesn't mean don't do it - you'll save money in year 1. But it probably won't last.
Breggy Popup
AG
Htownag11 said:

Just beware - a lot of companies will give you a low rate the 1st year to get you to switch and then next year it'll be right up where your last provider was.

Doesn't mean don't do it - you'll save money in year 1. But it probably won't last.

I'll just treat it like my electricity retailer and switch every year.
BG Knocc Out
Htownag11 said:

This...State Farm has duped me twice by doing this. As Bregxit said, I may just have to get more proactive and begin just switching every year.
jmac98
AG
I thought it was just me, but I have USAA, and my policies have jumped up significantly this year as well. I even dropped a car from my policy, since my wife has a company car, insured through her employer, and it still went up. Homeowners, auto, and umbrella is running me $10K per year now.

If you don't know what you're doing, do it quickly.
AJ02
AG
Bregxit said:

Daddy-O5 said:

If I am reading your username correctly you're a veteran. I'm a legacy. My Marine buddy and I were comparing our policies and it looks like two different companies handle vets versus non-vets. His is the Garrison company, mine is Casualty Insurance Company. His policy is less than half of mine and we have very similar homes in the same neighborhood. I am guessing that's the difference.

I'm a legacy, and I'm with Garrison.
aTm2004
AG
Harris County is crazy expensive for insurance. I'm giving Gooshead another chance and they were the cheapest I could find, which was a renewal with Safeco (Liberty Mutual). I called about a half dozen brokers to get quotes, and it seems the number of companies insuring in Harris County is very small and they're all raising their rates.
aTm2004
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

They tried that the 2nd year, I told them to pound sand, and they quickly gave in. I switched agents this year because the previous one went MIA and wouldn't return phone calls or emails (drove around almost a month in a new car with no insurance after I submitted everything via the portal with zero movement from their side). I finally called the 800 number and explained what was going on, and they got everything covered and switched me to a new agent, and I told them I wasn't paying another one of their fees, and they didn't charge it. This is their last chance. If this one goes MIA, I'm moving on.
Breggy Popup
AG
Interesting. Guess that kills that theory.
Diggity
AG
aTm2004 said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

They tried that the 2nd year, I told them to pound sand, and they quickly gave in. I switched agents this year because the previous one went MIA and wouldn't return phone calls or emails (drove around almost a month in a new car with no insurance after I submitted everything via the portal with zero movement from their side). I finally called the 800 number and explained what was going on, and they got everything covered and switched me to a new agent, and I told them I wasn't paying another one of their fees, and they didn't charge it. This is their last chance. If this one goes MIA, I'm moving on.
Look on the bright side, sounds like your agent helped save you a quick 8% right there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bregxit said:

Daddy-O5 said:

I am a legacy. My insurance was with Garrison. The annual premium had ballooned to roughly $7500. I had looked a few times but never found anything that would have made the hassle of switching worth it.

I expected the same when I talked to this local Allstate agent, so when I got that quote it was a no-brainer. But I do anticipate this deal might inly be for this year and will balloon next year. In which case I will treat it like electricity and switch (if I find a better deal).
wessimo
AG
Holy crap just got our renewal and our policy went from $3900 to $7200. Never filed a claim. Ridiculous.
AgLiving06
I did a quick check and Amica beat the Goosehead recommended Safeco by $500 on the year.

My dad went with State Farm recently and said they were equally as good.
BSD
AG
I've had the same Farmers agent since 1991 when I first started to drive. We've gotten to be friends over all those years. But I had to drop him when Farmers doubled my car insurance and would only insure my new house up to 50% of replacement cost. It sucks for him because there's nothing he can do about it as an agent, but he understands why I had to let him go.
SnowboardAg
AG
It's a toss-up of who I would rather deal with - insurance agencies or AT&T
NoahAg
wessimo said:

Holy crap just got our renewal and our policy went from $3900 to $7200. Never filed a claim. Ridiculous.
Yep. Had USAA for years. The one time I filed a claim they denied it. And they got too expensive.
There aren't many companies that are worth being loyal to anymore.
SnowboardAg
AG
texsn95
AG
Goosehead (Mercury) home quote was up 1k, and Progressive auto was up another 25%, so we went with Matt Tupa at State Farm and got our home and auto back to what it was, and only $250/yar for a 1MM umbrella policy. Kyle was the point man.

Kyle Packman, Insurance Account Representative
Matt Tupa State Farm
14531 FM 529 Rd Suite 175
Houston, TX 77095
(P) 281.345.1650
kyle.packman.wkk2@statefarm.com | agentmatttupa.com
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.