Houston
Sponsored by

Another golf cart-involved accident

24,437 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCA1
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sea Speed said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Brittmoore Car Club said:

Guitarsoup said:

Escalade driver was 21yo and lives in a multi-million dollar house.

There's some "weird money" up here in the nicer areas near the lake close to where this happened. A few places give cartel money vibes and some give rapper/nba player ones. But rest of the place is 99% normal families.

There's some YouTube families there as well. Ryan's Toy World or whatever live there. I know another one as well but can't remember their names. I have a friend who taught their kid at the elementary school there

35 million people subscribe to that. Wtf. I hate this world.

SniperWolf. 34 million subscribers. How. Just how.

https://m.youtube.com/@SSSniperWolf/videos
TarponChaser
Sea Speed said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Brittmoore Car Club said:

Guitarsoup said:

Escalade driver was 21yo and lives in a multi-million dollar house.

There's some "weird money" up here in the nicer areas near the lake close to where this happened. A few places give cartel money vibes and some give rapper/nba player ones. But rest of the place is 99% normal families.

There's some YouTube families there as well. Ryan's Toy World or whatever live there. I know another one as well but can't remember their names. I have a friend who taught their kid at the elementary school there

35 million people subscribe to that. Wtf. I hate this world.

A 2022 New York Times piece on that family puts their annual income from their YouTube channel and merchandise sales (not actual toys but "Ryan's World" merch) at over $25 million a year.

Now, I really hate this world and am depressed. FML
Ag_07
AG
Not to completely derail but Ryan's World is actually educational content that I have no issue with my kids watching. It's better than 99% of content on YouTube. Easy to see how they get followers and make loads of money.

They're not just random influencers doing stupid shlt. Those are the ones that make me sad for the future.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
BG Knocc Out
P.H. Dexippus said:

$140MM net worth.
Sea Speed
AG
That dude made a movie about explosive diarrhea in a bathroom and now is the king of kids entertainment.
BG Knocc Out
Sea Speed said:

That dude made a movie about explosive diarrhea in a bathroom and now is the king of kids entertainment.
Just googled that...DAFUUUUUUQQQ???

Seen a few of his cringey vids...thank God my girl isn't into him (yet)...but I will be implementing a ban on his content in our house effective immediately.
TarponChaser
Sea Speed said:

This is the kind of **** that happens when we institute zero-tolerance policies for bullying and fighting in schools and the generation raised in such an environment has young kids or creates entertainment for kids.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag_07 said:

Not to completely derail but Ryan's World is actually educational content that I have no issue with my kids watching. It's better than 99% of content on YouTube. Easy to see how they get followers and make loads of money.

They're not just random influencers doing stupid shlt. Those are the ones that make me sad for the future.

They used to be the kid as a 6yo opening toys and squealing with excitement. If they have educational content, it's new and not what the channel was built on
bhuff111
More details from a direct source (wife of the 41 y/o [Chris]). They were driving their buddy home; lived a few streets over. Had been hanging out watching the UFC fight. They sent a video of themselves to their wives at 2:20 am, just hanging out, no obvious signs of intoxication, none of them holding drinks in their hands (at least in the video). A reiteration of what I previously posted - these dudes were doing what all of us have done - just hanging with our boys, sitting on the back porch, listening to music, need a ride home, "hey, hop on, we'll take you."

Look your buddy in the eye, tell him how much you love him. Be real. This is all temporary.
htxag09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

agnerd said:

From the article:
Quote:

golf carts are only permitted to be operated during the daytime.
Hope this technicality doesn't allow the drunk to get a light or reduced sentence. If he wasn't drunk and was just messing with his phone, he'd only be getting a traffic ticket for killing 3 people instead of felony murder.

Pretty sure if you hit a golf cart - or another car or pedestrian - and they are hurt or killed because you were messing w your phone, you are getting more than a traffic ticket.

Thinking of and praying for those families this week and beyond.
Just look at this thread......Up until details came out with him being drunk, not a single post was about the driver of the Escalade.

Don't get me wrong, I put my families' and my own safety first, so I likely don't see myself cruising around on a golf cart in Houston suburbs, especially at night.

But the main reason for that is because we live in a world where people think when they're driving they're in some sort of magic bubble where nothing bad can happen...but if something does it can just be attributed to an accident. Their insurance pays, maybe they pay a ticket, but nothing bad can happen.

Hell....we had to pass a special law because a driver killed a mom walking her kid to school by running them over in a crosswalk and he just received a $50 failure to yield fine.
BMX Bandit
hanging out with your boy until 2 am, watching UFC, sending videos to wife does not sound like something generally done sober. still, does not look like alcohol by golf cart people played a part. sad story all around
GrayMatter
AG
bhuff111 said:

Look your buddy in the eye, tell him how much you love him. Be real. This is all temporary.
Look your buddy in the eye and tell him he's not driving home while being buzzed. Let him sleep it off at your place. I've seen way too many guys look the other way when that situation comes up. Be the dramatic one and tell them you'll take him home in your car and don't let him walk/bike/golf cart home at night. You may be fine and sober, but you have to account for all the idiots that are not.

It's just sad; my thoughts are with their families.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
this is incredibly tragic but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and claim that riding a bike home or taking a golf cart is some insanely dangerous thing to do after a handful of cold beers.
Flashdiaz
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

this is incredibly tragic but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater and claim that riding a bike home or taking a golf cart is some insanely dangerous thing to do after a handful of cold beers.
it is at 3am on a Houston road with other people in big SUV's that have most likely also been drinking.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
sorry, but i just cannot imagine myself yelling at my buddy that he cannot walk home at night cause he might get run over by a car.
maroon barchetta
Ducks4brkfast said:

sorry, but i just cannot imagine myself yelling at my buddy that he cannot walk home at night cause he might get run over by a car.

Guarantee you his buddy wishes he had done that.
BG Knocc Out
bhuff111 said:

More details from a direct source (wife of the 41 y/o [Chris]). They were driving their buddy home; lived a few streets over. Had been hanging out watching the UFC fight. They sent a video of themselves to their wives at 2:20 am, just hanging out, no obvious signs of intoxication, none of them holding drinks in their hands (at least in the video). A reiteration of what I previously posted - these dudes were doing what all of us have done - just hanging with our boys, sitting on the back porch, listening to music, need a ride home, "hey, hop on, we'll take you."

Agreed, my brother and I had a very similar night, and I would not have thought twice to go on a late night golf cart ride in similar circumstances. This place is generally dead at that time of night. And you're certainly not expecting wasted cholo lookin MF'ers in Escalades with wife and baby in car to be blowing through stop signs and mowing over golf carts in Towne Lake at 2:45am.

This is very unfortunate and shocking, but your buddy and his friends were not in the wrong. If they left just a few seconds sooner or later, this almost certainly doesn't happen. It is just extremely unlucky. People on here acting like they're to blame or they were crazy for doing this come across as fools TBH. Probably heavy correlation with the "oh you had $3,000 sitting in your console while you ran into the convenience store real quick on way home from bank? Shouldn't have had anything of value in your car, serves you right...it certainly isn't the jugging thief's fault!" and "Hey! That's not a kolache!" crowds.
themissinglink
AG
Wow. Tragic. I've met Fraser and his wife a handful of times through a work function. Seemed liked a really nice guy with a beautiful young family.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sea Speed said:

Wow. I knew Wnuk. Oof.
Megan and I knew them as well. Very sad.
I Am A Critic
That didn't take long. I'm surprised they're only asking for $1MM. Seems kind of low to me.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/towne-lake-golf-cart-deadly-crash-lawsuit/285-0c4e7cbe-530d-4033-80f0-13c788038a6f
Username checks out.
Sea Speed
AG
Just a reminder to get a life insurance policy for those of you with young kids. And make sure to have one for your wife too if she stays st home because the cost to look after the house and kids if she is gone will be a burden on a single father as well. It is really pretty cheap.
wessimo
AG
Article says "more than 1 million"
Al Bula
AG
I'm curious how this scumbag lives in the mansion. Best guess is mom is shacking up with mansion owner.

Edited to add: maybe the female passenger is his mom and 8 yr old is his half sister.

Some Facebook stalking sure makes it appear the mansion owner has a daughter with a Hispanic woman that looks to be 40-45.
jja79
AG
There's a 53 year old drug addicted tax cheat and gun felon living at taxpayer expense in the White House. Not that hard to believe.
Dimebag Darrell
jja79 said:

There's a 53 year old drug addicted tax cheat and gun felon living at taxpayer expense in the White House. Not that hard to believe.

swimmerbabe11
Ag_07 said:

combo panda is pretty neat. I didn't realize they were from here.

the rest of this thread is sad beyond words.
CheeseSndwch
Just out of curiosity would wearing a helmet prevent some of these car vs golf cart deaths or are you just SOL if you get hit? I'm not advocating for that just genuinely curious.
BG Knocc Out
CheeseSndwch said:

Just out of curiosity would wearing a helmet prevent some of these car vs golf cart deaths or are you just SOL if you get hit? I'm not advocating for that just genuinely curious.
Might help you survive and live as a quadriplegic in an accident like this, at best. My cousin broke his neck just flipping a cart at the course, and is well into year 2 of trying to learn how to barely walk and do basic functions. I don't know how much a helmet would do with a multi-ton SUV running through stop signs, but it would definitely increase chances of survival to SOME degree imo. That being said, groups of dudes aren't going to be caught dead riding around like that...riding a motorcycle comes with much greater risk of death or injury.
maroon barchetta
BG Knocc Out said:

CheeseSndwch said:

Might help you survive and live as a quadriplegic in an accident like this, at best. My cousin broke his neck just flipping a cart at the course, and is well into year 2 of trying to learn how to barely walk and do basic functions. I don't know how much a helmet would do with a multi-ton SUV running through stop signs, but it would definitely increase chances of survival to SOME degree imo. That being said, groups of dudes aren't going to be caught dead riding around like that...riding a motorcycle comes with much greater risk of death or injury.

Damn.
DDub74
Interesting thread. Horrible accident, children's cartoons, and throw in some politics as well.
Wrec86 Ag
  • The 21 year old driver was drunk, ran a stop sign, and had an 8-year old in the car. Unforgivable in my eyes.
  • Three buddies were probably having a couple drinks (not drunk), watching the fight together and took a golf cart ride at 3am.

The blame is 99% on the driver, but it is also fair to also say that they put themselves at a (very small) risk by being out there that late. The vast majority of people out at 3am have either been partying or are very tired. You may be fine, but the others on the road are not.

Really sad story - We have all definitely done things in the past that have put ourselves at similar very small risks and 99.9% of the time everything is fine.... so I'm not throwing stones at anyone except the driver.

All it takes is one time for it to go the other way. It's so easy to forget how quickly we can be gone.
jja79
AG
I don't know the men and yes it's a sad, tragic situation. The driver has ruined his and many other people's lives. However I've not known many people out until 3AM that just had a couple of drinks.
The Wonderer
AG
Wrec86 Ag said:

• The 21 year old driver was drunk, ran a stop sign, and had an 8-year old in the car. Unforgivable in my eyes.
  • Three buddies were probably having a couple drinks (not drunk), watching the fight together and took a golf cart ride at 3am.

The blame is 99% on the driver, but it is also fair to also say that they put themselves at a (very small) risk by being out there that late.
The vast majority of people out at 3am have either been partying or are very tired. You may be fine, but the others on the road are not.

Really sad story - We have all definitely done things in the past that have put ourselves at similar very small risks and 99.9% of the time everything is fine.... so I'm not throwing stones at anyone except the driver.

All it takes is one time for it to go the other way. It's so easy to forget how quickly we can be gone.
There's going to be a contributory negligence per se counter-argument/defense on this because of the language of the law.
Wrec86 Ag
jja79 said:

I don't know the men and yes it's a sad, tragic situation. The driver has ruined his and many other people's lives. However I've not known many people out until 3AM that just had a couple of drinks.
Fair, however I am taking the word of the poster here who knows the family of one of the victims. I will believe them unless I hear something otherwise.

3am is insanely late. Since I graduated college, I've probably been "still awake" at 3am maybe 2-3 times total? Nothing good happens at 3am.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.