Houston
Sponsored by

Great, government housing going in next door

5,940 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

And you thought the Ashby Highrise and bike lanes sucked. Google "Campanile on Minimax". 177 unit government housing project next to Timbergrove using federal subsidy in the form of vouchers. Being homeless for over a year qualifies you for a voucher.

Don't know how I just learned of this. I miss Swamplot.
Well do you want them on the street or in an apartment?
it's a travesty that this post got 3 stars

Well then what's your solution to the homeless situation? Yelling at them to get a job hasn't fixed anything for centuries.
Sea Speed
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

And you thought the Ashby Highrise and bike lanes sucked. Google "Campanile on Minimax". 177 unit government housing project next to Timbergrove using federal subsidy in the form of vouchers. Being homeless for over a year qualifies you for a voucher.

Well then what's your solution to the homeless situation? Yelling at them to get a job hasn't fixed anything for centuries.

Do you think giving them no strings attached free places to live will solve the problem?
cajunaggie08
AG
Sea Speed said:

cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Do you think giving them no strings attached free places to live will solve the problem?

I think giving a place to live with a few strings attached gives them a chance to many to help turn their lives into something positive. We shouldnt punish all or blow the system up just because some are "welfare-queens." I don't think this should be anyone's permanent home, but by helping someone not worry where they or their kid will sleep for some time frees up their stress so they can now figure out their next step in life.
AgLA06
AG
Neither side's arguement changes the mental health and drug addiction that are the actual problems.

So take it to a different thread.
southwestag
Some folks rather stay homeless and beg - it's been proven several times that when you take them off the street and give them a place with restrictions they can't take it

But just keep it away from sw houston lol we have enough Dumpy old complexes time has forgotten and empty hotels on 59 S
Sea Speed
AG
AgLA06 said:

Neither side's arguement changes the mental health and drug addiction that are the actual problems.

So take it to a different thread.

This is what I was getting at. Giving most of these people a roof won't do a damned thing to solve the real problem. The vast majority of homeless people are not just "gee shucks im down on my luck" types. Giving them a crash pad won't help them and will almost certainly destroy a perfectly good crash pad.
Martin Q. Blank
cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Panhandling…illegal.
Setting up a tent in public land…illegal.
Loitering…illegal.

Make choosing to be lazy, do drugs, alcoholic be as hard as possible. Have police harass them 24/7 and they'll eventually get a job or move to San Francisco.

Giving them money, food, free housing only hurts them.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

I think giving a place to live with a few strings attached gives them a chance to many to help turn their lives into something positive. We shouldnt punish all or blow the system up just because some are "welfare-queens." I don't think this should be anyone's permanent home, but by helping someone not worry where they or their kid will sleep for some time frees up their stress so they can now figure out their next step in life.

This is amazingly naive (and wrong) but it does adds context to most of your other posts.
evestor1
I am actually a huge fan of subsidized housing in the city more so than the suburbs.

Although if I had my option I'd send all poor people to El Paso and Laredo.
kubiak03
AG
It's much cheaper just buying them a bus ticket to CA and a McDonald's gift card to feed them during that trip.
MrWonderful
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Panhandling…illegal.
Loitering…illegal.

Make choosing to be lazy, do drugs, alcoholic be as hard as possible. Have police harass them 24/7 and they'll eventually get a job or move to San Francisco.

Ah yes, what to do with our most vulnerable members of society, let's crack some skulls so they learn not to be so poor and undesirable. The best way to get over addiction and mental health issues is to be crammed into a (already overcrowded) jail cell that way you can figure out how to get a job while having a criminal record and of course make sure you sort out getting a place to stay on top of that so you don't relapse or get arrested again.

The best part about that plan is it's the most expensive option for the taxpayers. Why direct taxpayer dollars towards programs that actually have a chance at helping people and put dollars back into the economy when we could support the private prison industry instead?

Sometimes it's nice to start your day knowing you've already read the dumbest thing you will see today. Thank you for that.
SockDePot
Martin Q. Blank said:

cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Panhandling…illegal.
Loitering…illegal.

Let me guess, you were a big fan of this movie:

Martin Q. Blank
MrWonderful said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

cajunaggie08 said:

NCNJ1217 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Panhandling…illegal.
Loitering…illegal.

Ah yes, what to do with our most vulnerable members of society, let's crack some skulls so they learn not to be so poor and undesirable. The best way to get over addiction and mental health issues is to be crammed into a (already overcrowded) jail cell that way you can figure out how to get a job while having a criminal record and of course make sure you sort out getting a place to stay on top of that so you don't relapse or get arrested again.

The best part about that plan is it's the most expensive option for the taxpayers. Why direct taxpayer dollars towards programs that actually have a chance at helping people and put dollars back into the economy when we could support the private prison industry instead?

Sometimes it's nice to start your day knowing you've already read the dumbest thing you will see today. Thank you for that.
I've yet to see one. First and foremost because these people don't want your help except for free stuff. You pushing it on them reiterates that they're helpless losers and you're their savior which perpetuates the problem on both fronts.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The primary causes of real, long-term homelessness are primarily addiction and mental illness. You do not fix either of those problems by concentrating addiction and mental illness into subsidized housing in a residential neighborhood. What you accomplish is bringing addiction and mental illness (and the byproduct of crime) to the suburbs. You get more of what you subsidize. Just ask Austin.
MrWonderful
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

The primary causes of real, long-term homelessness are primarily addiction and mental illness. You do not fix either of those problems by concentrating addiction and mental illness into subsidized housing in a residential neighborhood. What you accomplish is bringing addiction and mental illness (and the byproduct of crime) to the suburbs. You get more of what you subsidize. Just ask Austin.
Actually, if you look at the data that comes out of housing-first programs that have been going on for several years in other cities, you do solve those problems in large part by getting people in a home. It's a nearly impossible task to get your **** together while being homeless. If you get some stability in your life it gives you the resources and energy to tackle your other problems.

So aside from ignoring the fact that the data from a large cross-section of cities shows that this approach is the most cost-effective (the primary way most homeless folks engage with our medical system is through emergency rooms and jails - costs 30-50k per year - source below), how would you propose to address mental health and drug addiction in an effective manner while not providing for housing needs?

https://www.usich.gov/resources/uploads/asset_library/Ending_Chronic_Homelessness_in_2017.pdf
Martin Q. Blank
Giving someone a free apartment somehow doesn't make them schizophrenic or addicted to drugs?

And I never believed the "they can't find a job without a home." I've seen able bodied men panhandle a block away from Home Depot where a plethora of guys are begging for day jobs.
CyAg86
AG
The site at 610 and 12th St is a normal market rate apartment development. No affordable component at all, construction recently started on that site.
fka ftc
Brittmoore Car Club said:

It is amazing just how many loft/apt complexes are part govt housing w/ reduced rental rates for people under certain income thresholds.

Well, maybe not "govt housing" if other above-threshold residents are paying more to foot their bills. Anyone know how this works? My bro lives at a pretty nice multifamily place and he knows they have rent programs for people making less than $50-60k.
Below are the 2022 LMI and housing assistance / rent control numbers for Harris County. Other surrounding counties in Houston area are even higher.

It surprises many a folk how "high" these thresholds are. I had a lady working for me several years ago who refused a significant raise cause it would "mess up her rental assistance". She was married, with disabled husband and 4 kids and making low $60k's.

JJxvi
AG
All this handwringing about the mixed-income aspect of this is bull***** Whats really important is how ****ing awesome or ugly is the campanile they're gonna build for this and if it doesnt have one with that name, then that is some double bull*****
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm hoping for this

But expecting this
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yeah, these programs aren't bringing homeless in off the street to live next door.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Speaking of the "unhoused," I've spent sometime in some the Big Thicket's finer metropolises lately, and the number of pedestrians I've seen is kind of eye catching compared to even a couple years ago.

*edited because I apparently can't type worth a **** today.
fka ftc
Microwave Onions said:

Yeah, these programs aren't bringing homeless in off the street to live next door.
These programs will not either, that's a talking point. People are homeless because they choose to not abide by any sort of restrictions regarding assistance and housing. So the units will be filled with baby mommas and they kids.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
We are likely on the same page.

I'be never researched these programs, but I don't think it's like Section 8 or something that will just plop a bunch of transients into a normal neighborhood. Whatever the hell happened to Nob Hill in Meyerland is just depressing.
fka ftc
Typically the developer / owner has to rent a certain percentage of units to different income "buckets" such as LMI, VLI and similar. There are varying housing assistance programs at the federal, state and local levels with Section 8 being the most widely known.

I've worked with guys who have done this programs including building a few for developers / owners. They know the downside risks of these residents and factor that in but the tax breaks are what greases the wheels on most of these, not the moneymen just being "nice guys" looking to end homelessness.

Also, some programs allow for metrics to be achieved by offering a certain number of units at reduced rent. Crafty marketing and leasing programs can help keep the peace whilst meeting the requirements.

Yes, we are likely on the same page.
Sea Speed
AG
Microwave Onions said:

Speaking of the "unhoused," I've spent sometime in some the Big Thicket's finer metropolises lately, and the number of pedestrians I've seen is kind of eye catching compared to even a couple years ago.

*edited because I apparently can't type worth a **** today.

Yea there are a lot more than I would have ever anticipated when we moved out that way. Couple of weeks ago this good ole boy wandered up to my back door to give me a talking to about the people that live in the woods near our house and how they will try to rob us and he won't hesitate to shoot them. Then he told me about the one that DID get shot. And THEN he told me about our new neighbor who was hauled off right before we moved in who had his nice pit bull shot by the cops.

The best part? My kids were throwing a carnival for my wife and I when he showed up so each one of my cheeks had a crazy face painting on it and my wife's entire face was painted like hello kitty.

Anyways, next time you're out that way look me up and let's get lunch. I'm off the last half of August and first half of September.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Check your email later. I'll try to type out a coherent message.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
And thanks for sharing; that sounds like a lovely conversation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.