Houston
Sponsored by

Looking for new barber

7,889 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Aggie09Derek
Bockaneer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Cypress. My barber retired and am looking for a barber with good clipper skills and straight edge shaving.
Jack Cheese
AG
There was a recent thread with good recommendations from Tomball (town Square) and Woodlands.

I tried the lady at "his and hers" at the front of Fairfield. She's a barber, does a straight razor edge, but she's damn expensive ($55) and she talks A LOT about herself. I probably won't go back.

I'm trying another guy who gets good reviews in Towne Lake shopping center this week... But he's $55 also. I'll pay it if he's good but that's a lot of money.

I'm like you - want a true barber who does a good taper and edges up nicely.
Sea Speed
AG
$55?!?! Good lord. I have to talk myself in to paying $30 at my place. Jesus. I miss the days of getting my hair cut for $6 bucks by Lynn at the little Asian place next to Jim Pruetts guns and ammo. Those were the days.
Jack Cheese
AG
I know, bruh, but it's damn hard to find something other than crappy sports clips / great clips places which don't employ proper barbers. That applies to crappy fake barbers like Tune Ups that just add beer to the same cosmetologists that you find at sports clips.

I could probably go up to 35 without batting an eye (sports clips is like 25 I think) but I agree, 55 is hard to stomach.
Bockaneer
AG
Yikes- I just paid $50 but that was in Seattle and I was in a bind… I was thinking closer to $20.
DustysLineup
AG
Texan_Aggie
AG
You can thank Putin for these expensive hair cuts.
Jack Klompus
AG
Floyd's 99 Barbershop
Vintage Park (249ish and Louetta)
jetch17
AG
Y'all are making me feel better about $25 at spring valley

Even I can put up with Eric's sh*t for that
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Typhoon will do it for $8 if your sassy black lady friend tells him to.
TxAggieBand85
AG
My barber is in spring; great job and under anything posted here, but uses a bic shaver for my neck. I don't facial shave (genetics).

IM me if you need more info.

Jack Cheese
AG
Jack Cheese said:

There was a recent thread with good recommendations from Tomball (town Square) and Woodlands.

I tried the lady at "his and hers" at the front of Fairfield. She's a barber, does a straight razor edge, but she's damn expensive ($55) and she talks A LOT about herself. I probably won't go back.

I'm trying another guy who gets good reviews in Towne Lake shopping center this week... But he's $55 also. I'll pay it if he's good but that's a lot of money.

I'm like you - want a true barber who does a good taper and edges up nicely.

Went to Hugh Nguyen in Towne Lake yesterday. He definitely takes his time and will cut it just the way you ask. He does straight razor only over the ears, no hot foam.

$55 is just brutal. I don't know if I'll go back. It's too damn high.

Absurdly, I found a fantastic barber in Dallas where my son lives - Bearded Bastage (changed to avoid filter, but you get the idea) - but I don't make it up there frequently enough to make him my regular guy. He's $35 and teaches at the barber college. Good dude.
texasaggie2015
AG
How far are you willing to drive?
Sea Speed
AG
Lus barber shop in the bay area has been very good over the years.
jh0400
AG
Good haircuts are one thing that I've found it to be worth splurging on. I did Sport Clips, Board Room, etc for years before I broke down and went to a nicer place. Now I pay $55 + tip for a haircut but no longer have to worry about whether or not the person cutting is going to screw it up. The place I go also has free mimosas, so that's a plus.
texasaggie2015
AG
Aaron Veloz (@a.v.cuts) Instagram photos and videos

Aaron cuts my hair and is the best barber I've found around here. I get a fade and he does a great job. He cuts Alex Bregman and Lance McCullers hair as well.

If you decide to try him out, let me know. He's usually fully booked up to about 4 weeks out, but if he knows you're a referral he may squeeze you in.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
A four-week wait for this?
Al Bula
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Aaron Veloz (@a.v.cuts) Instagram photos and videos

Aaron cuts my hair and is the best barber I've found around here. I get a fade and he does a great job. He cuts Alex Bregman and Lance McCullers hair as well.

If you decide to try him out, let me know. He's usually fully booked up to about 4 weeks out, but if he knows you're a referral he may squeeze you in.
well this is the worst humblebrag I've seen in awhile. But maybe the best humblebrag fail.

No one cares you get your hair cut by the barber to the stars.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

A four-week wait for this?

I'd wait four weeks for him
Sea Speed
AG
Rtt likes short guys. Spreadsheet updated.
m.stat
AG
Go see Maria and Azu at Royal Cuts. Corner of Telge and Huffmeister. Good clipper work. Don't know about straight razor. $12 standard haircut. I give them a $20 and out the door.
Bockaneer
AG
right there at the gas station? wondered about it but I thought it looked closed last time I drove by
texasaggie2015
AG
Not bragging at all. Just thought it was pretty cool.
m.stat
AG
That's the one. Maria used to be at Sport Clips at Grant/Louetta and opened that shop 8-10 years ago.
Bockaneer
AG
tried it today- was ok and just $17
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Yall need to teach your wives to cut hair. She only needs to learn ONE style, and unless any of you are Chris Hemsworth, it will be 'plenty good 'nuf'.. Fortunately for me, it's no guard on the side and 'long enough on top to not stick up'. Zip it around, fade it in, done.

The last time I got a haircut in a barbershop it cost my 7.50 plus a tip at Northgate barber and I thought that was expensive.
Jack Cheese
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Sure, the first one may be a little rough.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

Yall need to teach your wives to cut hair. She only needs to learn ONE style, and unless any of you are Chris Hemsworth, it will be 'plenty good 'nuf'.. Fortunately for me, it's no guard on the side and 'long enough on top to not stick up'. Zip it around, fade it in, done.

The last time I got a haircut in a barbershop it cost my 7.50 plus a tip at Northgate barber and I thought that was expensive.
Isn't the other point of going to the barber shop to get away from the family and shoot the shot with the guys?
BrazosDog02
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Isn't the other point of going to the barber shop to get away from the family and shoot the shot with the guys?
I don't know. It's kinda pricey for me to justify that as a benefit.

I guess if you hate your family. I am not a small talk guy and the last thing I want it to chit chat with the barber or listen to some old codgers complain about the weather or baseball.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

No I'm not black and my barber isn't Ice Cube.
DimeBox17
AG
Roman at Sharp and Dapper in Cypress. When I moved to the area for work in early 2021, he was just getting started. He handed me a card because I clearly needed a haircut and I went to him up until I recently moved to Dallas. Great personality and gives a damn good haircut for about $30.
Bockaneer
AG
not sure about that but my wife has already said she's not cutting my hair so…

also still remember the time my mom has us lined up for cuts and caught my gramp's ear in the scissors - definitely could have been the wine but still prefer to use the pros these days
XpressAg09
AG
Gilbert on Spring Cypress does good work.
https://instagram.com/g2barberstudio?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Only does appointments, so no waiting.
Aggie09Derek
AG
My barber also "retired" - his wife has millions of social media followers so helping her with that.

Need a new one ITL
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.