Houston
Sponsored by

Don't a Few Here Own Galveston Beach Front Rentals?

19,490 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by 94chem
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back in the day, one or two vacation rental management companies usually ruled the business in each community; i.e. Sand N Sea and Gary Greene on the west end of Galveston.

It was easier back then to police renters and maintain rules about things like parking and noise. The owners and employees of those companies were locals and cared about how they were perceived. And they knew that upsetting the full-time residents could lead to trouble.

Today it's a free-for-all. Not only are there a lot more management companies -- including the big national names like Vacasa with no local ties -- but most homes are rented by individual owners via AirBnB and VRBO. It's a lot tougher to pin everyone down to the same rules.

So I could see how some full-time residents might perceive that the situation is worse today, because it probably is. But I can also see how some STR owners would get caught off guard if the full-time residents rise up via an HOA and vote to ban them.

94chem
That would be an interesting move. Many owners would immediately sell. On top of that, Crystal Beach is about the most pro-Trump place on earth. You can probably buy a Trump 2028 flag if you want. Maybe even Don, Jr, for 2032 and 2036.

Would be quite the ironic move for a bunch of allegedly laissez-faire capitalists to restrict what property owners can do with their property. But alas, consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
EclipseAg
AG
94chem said:

That would be an interesting move.
It happened in Pirates Cove on the west end of Galveston, and it darn near happened in Pirates Beach. That was a year or two ago.

There weren't a lot of rentals in Pirates Cove, so it was an easier sell. But there are definitely some homeowners in Pirates Beach who would love to end STRs there. I don't think Pirates Beach had the votes so they pulled the referendum, but if the ratio of full-time/absentee owners shifts further, it could happen.

Would be interesting to see if any homeowners in Pirates Cove sold once that passed. I don't think they grandfathered anybody in.
Sea Speed
AG
Another hood where they are fighting STRs is bayou Vista up on 45. Those homes would kill it as STRs. The hood is nothing but drunks anyways so I'm not sure why they are so against it.
94chem
Deleted out of date info

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
MAS444
AG
Edit - nevermind - emailed.
redag06
Sea Speed
AG
anyone looking at 94chem's place, i highly recommend it. We enjoyed it immensely and will almost certainly be going back.
BigPuma
AG
Some of the houses with lower pilings did survive in tact. In-laws had their first row house have nothing but twisted i beams left, but had a last row rental (beach side) that they gutted. But walls and roof survived.
94chem
Thanks for the history. I heard that the east end of the peninsula fared worse...pretty much wiped clean.
94chem

Deleted out of date info
94chem
Deleted out of date info
swimmerbabe11
my coworker is looking for Galveston/beach on mothers day weekend preferably no more than 400 per night.. 4 people but also prob dogs? anyone gotta thing? I didn't see any prices.
KDubAg
AG
A buddy of mine has a huge one that sleeps 16 in Crystal Beach. Dog friendly as well.
94chem
94chem
94chem
Bump. A couple of folks have come down to enjoy the "other world" of Bolivar, and a few more are booked. See the above post if you have any ability to get away during the week.
RenoAg
Incoming!
94chem
htxag09
AG
Can you send me details? Link and price? Username at gmail
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
careful on and around the dunes

Chewy
AG
Strange looking pelican that grabbed that snake. Didn't realize they're a predator/prey thing.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Chewy said:

Strange looking pelican that grabbed that snake. Didn't realize they're a predator/prey thing.
its called a purpled beaked poonanny
94chem
Diamondbacks are not uncommon in those dunes. I nearly lost my life when I was 5 years old in the backcountry at Terlingua. Came within inches of planting my foot in the middle of one coiled up. My grandpa took it out with a .22, and I still have the rattles.

94chem
94chem
Premium
AG
94chem said:

Nights of June 7 - 9 are available. $780 total if I book you directly. Email listed near top of thread.

Can you post a link to an online listing?
94chem

airbnb.com/h/seahorse-ranch-crystal-beach-tx

atm94unc98 at the google
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Any of yall ever stay at the Kettle house?
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34602890?source_impression_id=p3_1654662671_WikKonvAS%2BBZwGJE
94chem
bularry
Harry Lime said:

Any of yall ever stay at the Kettle house?
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/34602890?source_impression_id=p3_1654662671_WikKonvAS%2BBZwGJE

1 bath? no thanks
Diggity
AG
hey...it's a bargain at $500/night.

94chem
94chem
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sea Speed
AG
94chem should give me a free weekend with all the business my thread has given him
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.