Houston
Sponsored by

Shipley Donuts Sold

8,468 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
chimpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HtownAg92 said:

The reason Dunkin can't get a foothold here is because their donuts absolutely suck donkey balls. Krispy Kreme just overextended and couldn't get motor through when the hype wore off.

These Austin clowns better not try to Austin-up Ship's donuts. Keep your vegan hipster BS in Austincisco. We want our donuts with animal fat, extra GMO, and sweat-shop eggs.

Tim Horton's is essentially Dunkin but Canada instead of M*******chusetts. I think they could fill the void if these jokers scuttle Shipley.
TarponChaser
HtownAg92 said:

The reason Dunkin can't get a foothold here is because their donuts absolutely suck donkey balls. Krispy Kreme just overextended and couldn't get motor through when the hype wore off.

These Austin clowns better not try to Austin-up Ship's donuts. Keep your vegan hipster BS in Austincisco. We want our donuts with animal fat, extra GMO, and sweat-shop eggs.
If we could get Dunkin coffee with Shipley's donuts and kolache (spare me the lecture Czech-boys - they call them kolaches I'm calling them kolaches) then we'd have something. Shipley's is still rolling with the 1982 Folger's Crystals instant coffee.
MAS444
AG
A cool mixed use place would be a lot better than those crappy old houses. It's mostly industrial/commercial all around it anyway. A Ferris wheel would be nice too.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
HtownAg92 said:

dont discount all the idiot yankees moving down here
htxag09
AG
My wife is going to be pissed about this
UndergroundAg
98Ag99Grad said:

Ag_07 said:

Shipley is a front for some kind of drug operation.

There's no way that many people eat donuts all day. The one on Ella has a drive thru line into the evening that often spills out into Ella.
Lotta fat people in this town who need their snackies.

That's it. Thats the only operation going on!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Oppression and exploitation are what make the donuts taste sweet. Take those ingredients out of the mix and all you got is a ****ty pastry.
Whoop Delecto
AG
The Wonderer
AG
WhoopRAB said:

https://www.chron.com/business/retail/article/The-five-major-legal-woes-for-Shipley-Do-Nuts-12729513.php
That's why the quality has gone downhill. There isn't nearly as much pain and suffering in the mix.
TarponChaser
The Wonderer said:

WhoopRAB said:

https://www.chron.com/business/retail/article/The-five-major-legal-woes-for-Shipley-Do-Nuts-12729513.php
That's why the quality has gone downhill. There isn't nearly as must pain and suffering in the mix.

It's location specific. Maybe they're just trying to gain customers but a new Shipley's location opened up about 2 miles from the house and they're killing it. There's something extra in their kolaches that's pretty addictive.
AgLA06
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

I too came here to b tch about the Ella drive thru.

This dumb **** cracks me up. You should totally move to a neighborhood thats been there since WWII and ***** about the stalwart institutions that make it great.
dave99ag
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Shipleys was meh.

The only donut shop that I've been to that does it all right (coffee, donuts, kolaches) is Babe's in Bryan.

One of the brothers that ran Babe's passed away over Christmas. Believe it was a car accident. Just terrible!
The Wonderer
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ocean Of Funk said:

I too came here to b tch about the Ella drive thru.

This dumb **** cracks me up. You should totally move to a neighborhood thats been there since WWII and ***** about the stalwart institutions that make it great.
+1

If you don't know to stay in the left lane while heading north until after 34th, then wtf are you doing in the area?
BigAg_12
AG
am absolute must. On the rare occasion I wouldn't pay attention I'd rather hang a right on 34th than deal with that line and getting over to the left. Great Shipleys though.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
It's very likely, based on what we've been told as of today's date, that none of you will notice any difference at all. Lawrence already made a few significant changes over the past year, and nobody said a peep.
lamivudine
AgCPA95 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

If they screw this up, I am gonna be pissed. Shipleys has done a good job locking this city's donut scene down. Might as well roll out the welcome mat to Dunkin. Hell, lets just open up a Stan Makita or some bullcrap from California where they put avocado on everything. No changes seen at Whataburger so far, but Academy has gone to crap.
Your comment on Dunkin was one of my first thoughts and add in Krispy Kreme. Generally both have failed here and Shipley and to a lessor extent mom and pop Asian places are the reason as they have a stronghold in their local communities.

Recently watched 'The Donut King' which is a docu/movie about the donut explosion in California led by a Cambondian refugee. Pretty interesting insight on how Dunkin and Winchells interacted with them.

The dunkin in bellaire is always busy
one MEEN Ag
AG
dave99ag said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Shipleys was meh.

The only donut shop that I've been to that does it all right (coffee, donuts, kolaches) is Babe's in Bryan.

One of the brothers that ran Babe's passed away over Christmas. Believe it was a car accident. Just terrible!

That is super sad to hear. That location is cursed then. When I was at A&M it was a small Asian food mart. They had $5 sushi rolls that were huge, delicious, and I'm sure violated all types of health codes.

One day I drove by and their was a brick through the window and the place was ransacked. Owner never recovered and the business shut down.

Not as bad as dying in a car accident over Christmas, but man, somebody warn the next tenants whenever that may be.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Shipleys was meh.

I'll be sure to go an hour and a half out of my way to work next time it's my turn to bring in donuts to the office.

I deserved that. Your annual review is probably coming up sometime soon. I'd step up your donut game just to pad the score a little.
HtownAg92
AG
lamivudine said:

AgCPA95 said:

If they screw this up, I am gonna be pissed. Shipleys has done a good job locking this city's donut scene down. Might as well roll out the welcome mat to Dunkin. Hell, lets just open up a Stan Makita or some bullcrap from California where they put avocado on everything. No changes seen at Whataburger so far, but Academy has gone to crap.
Your comment on Dunkin was one of my first thoughts and add in Krispy Kreme. Generally both have failed here and Shipley and to a lessor extent mom and pop Asian places are the reason as they have a stronghold in their local communities.

Recently watched 'The Donut King' which is a docu/movie about the donut explosion in California led by a Cambondian refugee. Pretty interesting insight on how Dunkin and Winchells interacted with them.

The dunkin in bellaire is always busy
The one on Yale never busy. There's a new Ships just up the road that kills. When I first moved to the area about 3 years ago I took my son to the DD. We both agreed that it was terrible -- poor selection, no warm donuts, no kolaches. He calls it "Dunkin Coffee" now, because he says they shouldn't have donuts in their name.
htxag09
AG
We typically go to the one at the Washington roundabout. Enough traffic to keep hot donuts but never a crazy wait. No drive thru probably keeps the lol fats at other locations. I will say they've been pulling glazed donuts straight from the shelf vs fresh hot ones from the back.

Also, definitely need to stay on your toes at the roundabout as local drivers have no ****ing clue what to do when they get to it.
The Milkman
AG
What could this PE firm's interest be? Its not like they are going to take Shipleys nationwide. Does Shipleys own their land? Is it a real estate thing?
MouthBQ98
AG
Have you seen how rotund most Houstonians are? It turns out Fat and sugar are pretty addictive
AgLA06
AG
The Milkman said:

What could this PE firm's interest be?

So you don't know.

The Milkman said:

Its not like they are going to take Shipleys nationwide.

But it couldn't be the most obvious reason.

peteratm02
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Hmmm...I've always liked Shipley's and never knew about all this mess. Kinda glad what appears to be one hell of a dirtbag owner sold them, so I can keep eating their donuts!
Jock 07
AG
AgCPA95 said:

I'm gonna have to check that out, which service is it on? Asian donut shops on every corner out here are even more prevalent than back home. They all do sandwiches as well and some bagels. I wonder if Randy's is tied into this story line. They've recently gone through a significant expansion and actually opened one up ~2 miles from my house. Always has a line as well.

Just wish I could find a damn jalapeo sausage and cheese kolache out here. There's one kolache factory 30 miles away. No one out here has ever heard of kolaches.
TarponChaser
htxag09 said:

We typically go to the one at the Washington roundabout. Enough traffic to keep hot donuts but never a crazy wait. No drive thru probably keeps the lol fats at other locations. I will say they've been pulling glazed donuts straight from the shelf vs fresh hot ones from the back.

Also, definitely need to stay on your toes at the roundabout as local drivers have no ****ing clue what to do when they get to it.

Does that location still do the "Big Earl"? The upgraded sausage for those kolaches was awesome.
AgLA06
AG
peteratm02 said:

WhoopRAB said:

Hmmm...I've always liked Shipley's and never knew about all this mess. Kinda glad what appears to be one hell of a dirtbag owner sold them, so I can keep eating their donuts!

The majority are independently owned franchises. The owner you speak of is the parent company (name) the individual stores are required to buy the ingredients from the parent company and keep to some appearance standards, but that's essentially it. You've never heard because it has little to do with the store where you get your kolaches.
AgCPA95
AG
Jock 07 said:

AgCPA95 said:

I'm gonna have to check that out, which service is it on? Asian donut shops on every corner out here are even more prevalent than back home. They all do sandwiches as well and some bagels. I wonder if Randy's is tied into this story line. They've recently gone through a significant expansion and actually opened one up ~2 miles from my house. Always has a line as well.
I believe I rented it on Amazon Prime.

Found out about it from a co-worker who is Cambodian and escaped to Thailand as a young kid and ended up in Los Angeles....and her dad got in the donut business. They moved to Houston some years ago and had several family owned locations, some of which are still in business.
agproducer
AG
Speaking of Asian-run donut shops, Karma Kolache on 529 near Langham Creek is my go-to. Their apple fritters are huge and blow Shipley away.

Shipley has better cake donuts though.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The Milkman said:

What could this PE firm's interest be? Its not like they are going to take Shipleys nationwide. Does Shipleys own their land? Is it a real estate thing?
They own food & beverage and food service companies, including dairy. I'd imagine that alone will drive synergy, etc.
chimpanzee
AgLA06 said:

peteratm02 said:

WhoopRAB said:

The majority are independently owned franchises. The owner you speak of is the parent company (name) the individual stores are required to buy the ingredients. You've never heard because it has nothing to do with the store where you get your kolaches.
Makes sense that this outfit would buy them then. They sound like they are more in to food/ingredient production/processing than operating stores.

As for why sell, well, eventually some heirs decide they'd rather have a big lump of cash than deal with grandpappy's donut flour distribution company.
The Milkman
AG
AgLA06 said:

The Milkman said:

So you don't know.

The Milkman said:

Youre right I dont know. But I have a hunch they arent idiots, and trying to greatly expand a local donut chain (especially at this time) would be a highly risky decision.
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Shipley Do-Nuts is an American doughnut company and coffeehouse chain with more than 300 franchised stores in the Southern United States, including Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and as of 2018, Colorado.
it's not that local!
chico
AG
Chewy said:

The chocolate glazed on Main is the best damn donut anywhere. I've never seen it anywhere else.
The North Main location is kind of a stand-alone operation. If you look at the to-go boxes, they use a sharpie to black out ingredients that are used at their other locations. The N.Main store still uses old-fashioned ingredients (I suspect lard or some other animal fat goes into them). They also hand-crack real eggs and hand-mix the batter. I hope that location never changes. Their glazed are made constantly so you can get 'em fresh and hot pretty much all day.
AgLA06
AG
The Milkman said:

AgLA06 said:

The Milkman said:

So you don't know.

The Milkman said:

Youre right I dont know. But I have a hunch they arent idiots, and trying to greatly expand a local donut chain (especially at this time) would be a highly risky decision.
Or they could be smart and understand that an independent that can lock down the 4th largest demographic in the US to a point mega corporation competitors can't survive could be a deadly successful option for national expansion against those same competitors.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.