Houston
Sponsored by

Shipley Donuts Sold

8,427 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Shipley is a front for some kind of drug operation.

There's no way that many people eat donuts all day. The one on Ella has a drive thru line into the evening that often spills out into Ella.
Have you seen all the fatasses running around out there?

Having said that, I'm feeling a trip to the local Shipley's coming on.
JJxvi
AG
Shipley can have a different taste (especially on the kolaches) depending on which franchise you go to. Ella, Washington/Westcott, and N Main are good, others I'm leary about or just flat do not go there (Katy Fwy at Chimney Rock, etc)
HtownAg92
AG
TarponChaser said:

htxag09 said:

We typically go to the one at the Washington roundabout. Enough traffic to keep hot donuts but never a crazy wait. No drive thru probably keeps the lol fats at other locations. I will say they've been pulling glazed donuts straight from the shelf vs fresh hot ones from the back.

Also, definitely need to stay on your toes at the roundabout as local drivers have no ****ing clue what to do when they get to it.

Does that location still do the "Big Earl"? The upgraded sausage for those kolaches was awesome.
My location (Yale) changed the name on the sign from "Big Earl" to "Big Shipley" or big something like that. I guess they aren't carrying Earl Campbell sausages for them any more. Still good.

The small Asian joints are usually pretty strong. When we lived in Sugar Land after Harvey we hit up Best Donuts on Williams Trace a lot.

My favorite non-Ship donut shop was Billy Dano's in Manvel, back when Manvel was just a stop light and a bunch of good dove hunting leases. Best Jalapeno sausage cheese kolaches ever.
Jock 07
AG
Asian owned S&S on Jones & West has a strong kolache game.
Post removed:
by user
htownag2007
AG
Chewy said:

The chocolate glazed on Main is the best damn donut anywhere. I've never seen it anywhere else.

Amen
Grown Pear
AG
Mmm Shipley's glazed donuts are the best. And I always get their sausage & chees kolaches. So freaking good.

Their coffee sucks however.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I wish they would do a ham cheese and jalapeo kolache
TarponChaser
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

I like where your head is man.
Tabasco
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I feel like I know her. What era is this commercial from? Early 90's?

Have a young teen girl? Maybe thinking of Brenda Mendler from Disney's Good Luck Charlie. That girl is her doppelgnger.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
That's funny that people think Kristin2Go is from the "early internet." I can see who wasn't on this board around 2008-2010 ish.

*googling "Kristin2go" brings up a ton of old Tine board links.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I'm not a sausage fan unless I'm serving it up.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
The Milkman said:

AgLA06 said:

The Milkman said:

What could this PE firm's interest be?

So you don't know.

The Milkman said:

Its not like they are going to take Shipleys nationwide.

But it couldn't be the most obvious reason.

Youre right I dont know. But I have a hunch they arent idiots, and trying to greatly expand a local donut chain (especially at this time) would be a highly risky decision.

The "especially at this time" part is a little different when it comes to things like donuts. Revenues have actually increased during any economic crisis we've seen so far, and Covid has been no different. My best guess is that it's something about cheap eats and sugar highs to raise people's spirits. Drive thrus are obviously critical, but the only real difference for the past several months is that it's tougher to get into the parking lot because of the line of cars.

PE may or may not want to expand, we don't really know yet. It appears as though Lawrence simply wanted to retire, and the flour & supply side alone would have been an attractive acquisition.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
HtownAg92 said:

TarponChaser said:

htxag09 said:

We typically go to the one at the Washington roundabout. Enough traffic to keep hot donuts but never a crazy wait. No drive thru probably keeps the lol fats at other locations. I will say they've been pulling glazed donuts straight from the shelf vs fresh hot ones from the back.

Also, definitely need to stay on your toes at the roundabout as local drivers have no ****ing clue what to do when they get to it.

Does that location still do the "Big Earl"? The upgraded sausage for those kolaches was awesome.
My location (Yale) changed the name on the sign from "Big Earl" to "Big Shipley" or big something like that. I guess they aren't carrying Earl Campbell sausages for them any more. Still good.

Correct - there is no longer an agreement in place with EC (that change was made several months ago). Surprisingly, Earl wasn't aware of it at first. Some stores continued to use the Big Earl name for a while, but the sausage is different (and more expensive, btw). Still good though, and seems to be a little smokier maybe. Customers still call it an Earl, but the official name is the Big Special (I've also heard Big Shipley).
Gramercy Riffs
AG

They usually will if you ask them to. We sell quite a few of them.

Edit: you'll obviously have to either 1) call ahead or 2) go early while the cooks are still there and be willing to wait.
agz win
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

They usually will if you ask them to. We sell quite a few of them.

Edit: you'll obviously have to either 1) call ahead or 2) go early while the cooks are still there and be willing to wait.
Yes, the North Main location does custom orders at no extra charge. Just call ahead to order and provide credit card number. i always call for their boudin and add cheese and extra jalapenos.
JSKolache
AG
Butterfly Roll FTFW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.