Houston
Sponsored by

Official Fall 2020 ISD openings

97,118 Views | 1047 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tylercsbn9
XpressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rhoswen said:

My district is doing the opposite & dragging in the failing kids.

Better failing than dead!!!
/s
bbry81
my district is pulling any student failing 2 or more core classes into f2f. Thats what tea says you can and should do.
jja79
AG
Klein is having a virtual learning day it looks like once a month going forward. No in class or zoom instruction on those days. They aren't even trying anymore. My son's 1st period teacher didn't show up for 2 weeks and the AP told me just to be patient.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Did any of the school districts shut down?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Tabasco
AG
Kempner High School in Fort Bend just went 100% virtual because they had "a few" cases pop up. Our high school George Ranch HS in Lamar consolidated had a high school party super spreader event over TG break where 22 popped positive. Had to forfeit football playoff game, but did not go virtual like the neighbor Fort Bend school for "a few."
Diggity
AG
just as an aside, where did the phrase "popped positive" come from?
tommyjohn
Drug tests on probation

Popped hot or popped positive
Diggity
AG
gotcha....please continue.
Jack Klompus
AG
Got the call that my kid was exposed to someone in his speech pathology time. Parents of kid were positive, sent their kid to school anyway. 5 days later kid was tested, kid was positive. 5 more days pass by. Parents inform school.

Only time my son takes off mask is during speech, lunch and recess.
Bassmaster
AG
Got notice Friday that my son had close contact with someone who was positive. That exposure was December 3rd. We received notice this past Friday, the 11th. Nurse told me his 10 day quarantine would be over Sunday and he could return to school today, the 14th. Uhhh, he's been at school all week. She says she knows, but they were just notified. His quarantine resulted in 0 missed days. Comical.
TarponChaser
The wife and I got it and of course our boys were exposed. We kept them home and they did virtual school for the require 10-days and not for one minute did either one exhibit a single symptom.

It just blows my mind how people treat this like some sort of death sentence. It's like they have some deep-seated need in their psyche to believe the absolute worst-case scenario is the only possible outcome.
cone
AG
I know of a guy, doctor, early 50s, got it, developed clots, had a stroke, died

he was in good health going into this year

it's not a death sentence but it's definitely more of a crap shoot than most people expected coming into 2020
RK
AG
The are low probability outcomes with every illness.
gougler08
AG
Did he develop clots from Covid or just because and happened to have Covid? I know you don't know the answer but clots haven't been shown as a symptom with this right?
TarponChaser
cone said:

I know of a guy, doctor, early 50s, got it, developed clots, had a stroke, died

he was in good health going into this year

it's not a death sentence but it's definitely more of a crap shoot than most people expected coming into 2020

Last I saw, conservative estimates of actual infections was about 10x positive cases. That's 165MM people and a 0.18% resulting in death. I'd wager we all have a greater chance of dying from any number of causes by a wide margin in any given year.
cc_ag92
AG
While respiratory issues continue to be the most common symptom of a COVID-19 infection, new research indicates the disease could also be associated with hypercoagulability, or increased tendency of the blood to clot. In a new study published November 20, 2020 in the journal EClinical Medicine by The Lancet , researchers from UC San Diego Health found that blood clots led to an increased risk of death by 74 percent.

UCSD

Dr. Coates (Reveille) has been discussing blood clots caused by Covid for months, too.
gougler08
AG
Thanks
OnlyForNow
AG
Research is already suggesting that genetic makeup is the key in serious illness as a result of covid.
TarponChaser
OnlyForNow said:

Research is already suggesting that genetic makeup is the key in serious illness as a result of covid.

Got a link for anything like that? That's interesting.
MJ20/20
AG
The fact that he developed blood clots significant enough to cause a stroke point towards issues other than covid19 as the cause of death.
OnlyForNow
AG
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/key-genes-related-to-severe-covid-19-infection-identified-68276

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-03065-y

This doesn't keep people who don't have these genes from dying or getting sick, but I believe it does show a direct relationship for these healthy people who get COVID and then have BAD reactions or die.
Jack Klompus
AG
Jack Klompus said:

Got the call that my kid was exposed to someone in his speech pathology time. Parents of kid were positive, sent their kid to school anyway. 5 days later kid was tested, kid was positive. 5 more days pass by. Parents inform school.

Only time my son takes off mask is during speech, lunch and recess.
Well, got a second call that my kid was exposed a 2nd time. It basically wiped out his whole class as only 3 are left in person and the remaining went online. They tried putting his class in with the only online teacher, and that was a huge mess. His normal teacher is teaching online also since a majority of her class got put in quarantine.

Had my kid tested rapid, PCR, and antibody. He has the antibodies, but was never sick. I had COVID in October, and he must have gotten it from me or he passed it on to me.
Photog
FBISD closed again Tuesday and doing virtual synchronous learning rest of the week. Working parents win again. I expect flooding to close school in April and/or May, and a hurricane to close school in August.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
KISD went asynch today due to some buildings not having water but all schools but one open up tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my wife, daughter, and I tested positive today.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Jack Klompus
AG
CFISD for the win again. Kids back in school today.
Photog
ONLINE SCHOOL SSSSSUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSS!!!!!!
TarponChaser
Jack Klompus said:

CFISD for the win again. Kids back in school today.

There were a couple campuses in Humble ISD that weren't finished fixing issues from the winter storm that went virtual on Monday but my kids were back at their elementary with no issues. Of course, they're wearing shorts this week.
Photog
Only 2 weeks of normal school, and then it's spring break, for **2** weeks. Because they need more prep time for the rest of the school year because covid. FBISD is too quick to cancel school for weak reasons. I know someone in OK whose school is closing for 2 days for teachers to get their vaccines. That's better reasoning than this other bull crap in my district. I don't really want to move to LCISD but FBISD has been ticking me off.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Photog said:

ONLINE SCHOOL SSSSSUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSS!!!!!!

Agreed. It's adequate for high performing students and useless for kids that struggle.
Photog
An email I just received from FBISD That I was afraid to open....

"On Monday, May 10, during the Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, the administration will share the health and safety protocols plan, along with the research and data used to inform the decisions as an information item to brief the Board, and not as an action item.

The presentation will address the contact-tracing model; wellness screening and monitoring processes; social distancing; transportation; quarantine; accommodations for staff; and the requirement that students and staff wear masks when moving indoors in a crowded space that does not allow for the three-feet of social distancing. Masks would not need to be worn when students are seated at a desk or workstation, at recess, lunch, or PE/athletes."

Does this mean they already freaking decided that masks are required "and the requirement that students and staff wear masks when moving indoors in a crowded space that does not allow for the three-feet of social distancing"?

So yay, my kids don't wear masks all the live long day. But boo, they still have to wear them sometimes, and I still have to think about it every damn day. So they put them on to walk out to recess or another classroom, and to lunch, and then take them off?

So stupid. I guess this is where I should think back to spring and fall 2020 and just be glad that's over?

There were maybe a dozen cases reported from my school starting around Christmas 2020.
BarryProfit
At least you'll still have something to complain about
Photog
jamesf
AG
Photog said:

An email I just received from FBISD That I was afraid to open....

"On Monday, May 10, during the Regular Board of Trustees Meeting, the administration will share the health and safety protocols plan, along with the research and data used to inform the decisions as an information item to brief the Board, and not as an action item.

The presentation will address the contact-tracing model; wellness screening and monitoring processes; social distancing; transportation; quarantine; accommodations for staff; and the requirement that students and staff wear masks when moving indoors in a crowded space that does not allow for the three-feet of social distancing. Masks would not need to be worn when students are seated at a desk or workstation, at recess, lunch, or PE/athletes."

Does this mean they already freaking decided that masks are required "and the requirement that students and staff wear masks when moving indoors in a crowded space that does not allow for the three-feet of social distancing"?

So yay, my kids don't wear masks all the live long day. But boo, they still have to wear them sometimes, and I still have to think about it every damn day. So they put them on to walk out to recess or another classroom, and to lunch, and then take them off?

So stupid. I guess this is where I should think back to spring and fall 2020 and just be glad that's over?

There were maybe a dozen cases reported from my school starting around Christmas 2020.
This is typical of FBISD to throw out some wishy-washy vague idea without really telling you what their plan is. They will use this to test the waters, then change their mind two or three times before basically doing what everyone else is doing. I have a feeling that by August COVID will be a distant memory for most people, and school will be back to normal.
tylercsbn9
AG
Hybrid nonsense officially dead in Cy fair

They will have some virtual academy where you have to take your kids out of their zoned school. Only 4-12 grade levels. And you can't do stuff like sports, band, etc.

And this only happens if the state approves full funding to the district.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.