Houston
Sponsored by

Official Fall 2020 ISD openings

96,663 Views | 1047 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tylercsbn9
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know this has been talked about in a few different threads, so I figured I'd consolidate it into one.

Tomball sent the "official" letter today. Two options:

In school. A mask will be required (per state requirements - I'm reading this to mean, if the state/county lifts the requirement, the school will, too), and students will be spaced at least 6 feet apart whenever possible.

Online, but NOT like what they had in the spring. There will be synchronous and asynchronous requirements, attendance will be taken, and grades will count. Some sort of learning management system will be used.

Students opting to attend in person will also have to learn the LMS system in case school is closed or they are absent due to illness. Not all classes will be available online.

No mention of alternating days or weeks, with some in class and others at home.

No decision on extracurriculars, yet.

Have to decide by July 24. If you don't turn in a form, your student will automatically be enrolled in in-person learning.

My son just shocked me and said he wants to do online. I was planning to send him back, but he will be in 10th grade, so he can choose for himself.
NoahAg
Man this is gonna be such a mess for every parent, student, teacher, etc. Especially tough for 2 income households to juggle. I'm thankful we homeschool.
12thmanisright
Just read the email from Tomball as well. We have no choice as both of us are essential workers and with no option to handle the school work at night it pretty much makes our decision for us.
TXTransplant
12thmanisright said:

Just read the email from Tomball as well. We have no choice as both of us are essential workers and with no option to handle the school work at night it pretty much makes our decision for us.

I texted my son to ask him why he wants to do online, and he said 1) he wants to keep us safe and 2) he did well with online this spring, so if him staying home makes it easier for the kids that have to go back to socially distance, he can just stay home.

And he doesn't have to deal with his French teacher.

If band is cancelled, it makes the decision easier. I just want to feel comfortable that the math and science classes he is scheduled to take are just as rigorous.
AMW2010
AG
If band is cancelled? Tomball or memorial?
TXTransplant
I expect whatever happens at one will happen at the other. They already cancelled percussion and color guard camp that was supposed to have started already. We are still waiting to hear on the rest of band camp, which is supposed to start the last Monday in June. I'm not optimistic they will be marching.
BCSGrubber
AG
TXTransplant
Klein put theirs out today, too. Looks similar to Tomball.
cajunaggie08
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Katy just sent out their plan without a. Lot of needed details.
Correct. All i saw is the word safe thrown out alot and a lot of mention on how to ensure the district will get paid attendance money. Then there is a note that schools will probably be shut down a few times during the year due to positive cases, but no specifics on if its just one case or many that will cause a closure.
one MEEN Ag
AG
My unintended consequences forecast is that troublemakers and low performers will be more highly concentrated in the 'go to school category.'

The only people who can seriously consider doing online schooling are those with the means to do so, which usually represents kids who tend to have their act together.

Not saying anyone on here is a bad parent/have a bad kid. But those who do are more likely to push their kid back into the system.

I would definitely be pushing a child into the G/T program if they aren't in it as the gen pop is about to get a lot rowdier per classroom.
jenn96
AG
That's an interesting point and probably true. I'm still sending my kids to school every day it's open; they like school and do a lot better there, and my son has special needs and is better served by in-person resources. But it will be interesting to see how the demographics and behavior change. We have a lot of 2 parent professional households in our school so hopefully won't be too dramatic.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
TXTransplant said:

Can you give more information about Tomball? I have read the Klein website and it was very detailed with information about how they will be cleaning and creating social distance within the schools. Tomball's letter said to see the website for more details, but I didn't see any details on the website.
TXTransplant
Pretty much everything I know is posted above. That's what was in the letter we received on Friday.

Letter also said we would be getting more info, including the commitment form, today. I have not received that, yet.

I did get an email from our band director. They are trying to coordinate with the July 24th deadline to figure out what to do with band as an extracurricular (since they know that might affect people's decisions). Right now, the start of band camp has been pushed back to Aug 3, and they said they are taking things one week at a time.

We've got other questions that need to be answered. I need to know what my son signed up for when he did his schedule last spring. He doesn't have a copy and I don't trust his memory.

School buses are another issue that needs to be addressed. Given that they've been or pretty open with communication, I trust they will get this info out to us.
gougler08
AG
Fort Bend still MIA so far
lunchbox
Houston ISD being released to the public this Wednesday.
aTm2004
AG
Humble ISD

I'm pretty sure this is final as teachers begin reporting back the first week of August.

Quote:

What will the schedule be for students who attend school on campus?

• Elementary school students will attend from 7:55 a.m. to 3:20 p.m.
  • Middle school students will attend from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • High school students will attend from 7:25 a.m. to 2:52 p.m.
Elementary schools will open to all students, every school day.
Middle schools and high schools will likely begin 2020-2021 on a modified schedule, with students attending classes on campus every other day so that only about half of the students would be on campus at the same time. There would be an A-K Group and an L-Z Group, based upon students' last names. Accommodations can be made if students within a family have last names in different groups so that all students within a family could go to school on the same days. Students would participate in assignments/online instruction on days that they are not on campus.

The rolling A/B schedule would continue for at least the first two weeks of school while the district monitors the impact of coronavirus. We hope that it would continue no longer than Labor Day, but it may be longer.
Quote:

What options will be provided for special education students in self-contained classrooms?

All self-contained special needs secondary students will have the option to be on campus every school day, even if middle schools and high schools open at 50 percent building capacity.
Quote:

Why would elementary schools operate with all students on campus every day, while middle schools and high schools operate with only about half of their students on campus every day?

• Many parents believe that on-campus instruction is the best opportunity for youngest students to be successful and a full start meets childcare needs for many families, including Humble ISD staff.
  • Elementary students mix less, as they are mostly in self-contained units, and adjustments to limit mixing will be encouraged. Keeping groups separate when possible is one measure that will be used to protect against the spread of illness.

With an emphasis on outdoor learning/play spaces, many seating/spacing options, and reduced sharing of materials, we believe we can offer an in-person environment for healthy students.
  • With larger populations that constantly mix on secondary campuses, a more cautious approach is prudent. Opening with 50 percent building occupancy will provide extra space in classrooms, eating areas, hallways and school buses. Should indicators be positive, we will move to 100 percent in-person capacity and our normal schedule as soon as it is possible hoping no later than Tuesday following Labor Day, although it could be longer.

jenn96
AG
Nothing yet from CyFair that I've seen.
TXTransplant
Ag_N_Houston said:

TXTransplant said:

Can you give more information about Tomball? I have read the Klein website and it was very detailed with information about how they will be cleaning and creating social distance within the schools. Tomball's letter said to see the website for more details, but I didn't see any details on the website.

Got another email. Below are links to details on the two options.

https://www.tomballisd.net/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1800422&type=d&pREC_ID=1972328

https://www.tomballisd.net/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1800422&type=d&pREC_ID=1972330
Gator92
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

BCSGrubber said:

Katy just sent out their plan without a. Lot of needed details.
Correct. All i saw is the word safe thrown out alot and a lot of mention on how to ensure the district will get paid attendance money. Then there is a note that schools will probably be shut down a few times during the year due to positive cases, but no specifics on if its just one case or many that will cause a closure.
They punted to TEA and UIL and gave no examples of positive test guidelines or policies. My guess is they will handle on a case by case basis. Think KISD will do everything they can to keep schools open. I easily see a majority of the district opting for KVA. Elementary and lower income will have higher in-person attendance for sure.

Mine are secondary and we are leaning toward KVA. At least for the first half of the year. Not because of health or safety reasons, but I believe it will be more consistent and less disruption.
BBRex
AG
I'm guessing some of these plans will be revised after: 1. HISD releases its plan, or 2. the state gives new guidelines. Or both.
cone
AG
they should just delay school until October

any decision made in the middle of epidemic spread is going to be useless
Post removed:
by user
cone
AG
you lose on that one
Bregxit
AG
That's interesting. The Conroe ISD super made it sound like the A/B split for on campus was not allowed by the state and that districts were required to allow full time on campus. He also said the districts don't have the call on whether to shut down or not.
Forum Troll
AG
Fort bend going full ******. How the **** is my kindergartener supposed to do online learning?
gougler08
AG
Forum Troll said:

Fort bend going full ******. How the **** is my kindergartener supposed to do online learning?

Oh for ****s sake
tylercsbn9
AG
Forum Troll said:

My wife teaches kindergarten. Simple answer, they cannot. Especially if you have parents that actually have to work. They honestly can't really learn independently until 3rd grade at BEST. Especially with how they will be structuring the online learn. It will be way, way more labor intensive than the spring.
gougler08
AG
Did they say how long the online only piece is? I can deal with a couple weeks but I can easily see them just extending it all semester. I'm sure my kindergartner will get lots of value from this /lol
96AgGrad
AG
We have a very bright 4th grader who did fine learning at home with a little prodding, BUT, it's clear (IMO) that it's no substitute for real interaction with a teacher and other students. I will be sending her to school.
lunchbox
cone said:

they should just delay school until October

any decision made in the middle of epidemic spread is going to be useless
Careful what you wish for. I heard they are going to be doing exactly that. Virtual through Oct 9th.

The thing is...that goes against TEA guidance so it makes me think they have been told something.

Also, one of the press conferences that HISD was going to hold on Wednesday has been cancelled.
tylercsbn9
AG
gougler08 said:

Did they say how long the online only piece is? I can deal with a couple weeks but I can easily see them just extending it all semester. I'm sure my kindergartner will get lots of value from this /lol

Per TEA it can only be the first three weeks at home.

Frankly I don't know what I'll do with my kindergartener if they do this ***** It will just be me because my wife is teaching. If he actually has to be monitored for 3-4 hours a day at a specific time it just won't work. Thankfully he's pretty bright and already knows a lot of the crap you need to know in kinder.
lunchbox
Bregxit said:

That's interesting. The Conroe ISD super made it sound like the A/B split for on campus was not allowed by the state and that districts were required to allow full time on campus. He also said the districts don't have the call on whether to shut down or not.
Yeah, I don't know how Humble is going to get away with that...but I know every district is calling TEA and asking for all sorts of waivers. Or maybe they are calling TEA's bluff...
gougler08
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

gougler08 said:

Per TEA it can only be the first three weeks at home.

Frankly I don't know what I'll do with my kindergartener if they do this ***** It will just be me because my wife is teaching. If he actually has to be monitored for 3-4 hours a day at a specific time it just won't work. Thankfully he's pretty bright and already knows a lot of the crap you need to know in kinder.

Yeah my daughter is already pretty good at math but could use the reading help with an in person teacher. My wife and I can probably manage for 3 weeks but not much more than that, especially as I'll start traveling again at end of Aug
cone
AG
that sounds about right

nothing to be careful about
evestor1
This crap is pathetic. Schools should require attendance. If they believe there is an issue then figure out how to mitigate it.

Anyone dumb enough to think educating 10,000s of children each year on the internet is a good idea is not capable of thinking critically.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.