Houston
Sponsored by

Petrol Station: Closed

7,680 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LPHA
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RIP

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2020/06/petrol-station-garden-oaks-beer-bar-closes?fbclid=IwAR3Hs2CJTEH9NUTRIDfo5Q6v18MIPQsG0J3dbWpJvr-5e5cYGXhie2nXSQc#.XuuwXHl4gUo.facebook
aTm '99
drumboy
AG
I was hoping that this wasn't true...

I had one last trip there Monday that the shutdown was announced to hold in my memories.

The burgers had gone downhill cause they couldn't flatten the patty so it was a thick piece of meat w/ an inch of bread around it half the time I got them. Fig Newton was solid.
Bubba smollett
oh no where will I drink overpriced beer with neckbeards now?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Damn.
drumboy
AG
LaQuica said:

I know you're not looking for an honest answer but Petrol's prices were very good.

Mondays happy hour was basically everything for $3 which included several >$6 beers are places like Cottonwood etc that don't cater to neck bears. I don't think anything on draft was over $6.
wessimo
AG
We've been considering moving to the neighborhood and Petrol closing up shop is definitely a big downer. Hopefully something good will replace it.
The Milkman
AG
drumboy said:

LaQuica said:

I know you're not looking for an honest answer but Petrol's prices were very good.

Mondays happy hour was basically everything for $3 which included several >$6 beers are places like Cottonwood etc that don't cater to neck bears. I don't think anything on draft was over $6.
And if you went sometime other than Monday from 3-7?

My issue was always the atmosphere and comfort level. The indoors sucked because it was small, too many people lingering by the bar, and never really smelled very good. The outdoors was poorly kept, muddy, etc.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^Low key those were my favorite things. Dingy all around, laid back, and kind of metal. One of the true OG beer bars in town. I mean what are the others, Saucer and Ginger Man? I'll miss it.
CincyAg
AG
If you're looking for a new beer bar, head to Underdogs on Washington.

All beer on tap is $5 and rotates every day. Extremely dog friendly as well.
swimmerbabe11
has anyone checked on Jetch? is he in mourning?
swimmerbabe11
Head Ninja In Charge said:

^Low key those were my favorite things. Dingy all around, laid back, and kind of metal. One of the true OG beer bars in town. I mean what are the others, Saucer and Ginger Man? I'll miss it.

Conservatory, Axelrad, Hay Merchant
terradactylexpress
Axelrad might be the only one of those that I'd agree with. **** hay merchant
PM&Rdoc04
AG
Good riddance. I liked Petrol Station alright. It was a cool place to grab a good beer, and nice layout. There weren't many other options. It was the first business (and brewery Brash) I ever boycotted after their Black Mass partnership with Houstons Satanic Temple stunt. I couldn't even stomach the idea of supporting a business who would be actively involved or even sympathize with the ideas. There are plenty of great breweries now that need our support and not a dime of my money is/was going to Brash or Petrol Station or any other of Fulleloves future projects.
Now hopefully someone else buys Petrol Station and returns it to what ot was and could be.
drumboy
AG
The Milkman said:

drumboy said:

LaQuica said:

And if you went sometime other than Monday from 3-7?

My issue was always the atmosphere and comfort level. The indoors sucked because it was small, too many people lingering by the bar, and never really smelled very good. The outdoors was poorly kept, muddy, etc.
I didn't word that correctly. Monday was all day happy hour w/ $3 beers. The other days had normal happy hour that was maybe $1 off so $4-$5 beers. Can't beat that price AND they never short poured you. I was always spilling some walking back to the table with my 3rd, 4th, and 5th beers.
drumboy
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Head Ninja In Charge said:

Conservatory, Axelrad, Hay Merchant
You been to the new food hall where Conservatory was? I went in to take a leak but it looks pretty much the same.
swimmerbabe11
terradactylexpress said:

Axelrad might be the only one of those that I'd agree with. **** hay merchant

not that it's beer, but those pb&j wings are killer. I'd drink miller lite to eat with those. luckily I don't have to because HM always has a good selection.
K Bo
AG
decent beer bars but not OG
Ag_07
AG
Not sad

It was always a pretty pretentious bar that I felt was only welcoming to locals. The kinda bar tenders who'd scoff at you if you didn't know all about the latest triple hopped coffee stout IPA they had on the nitro tap.

Kind of ironic that the article gives that vibe as well. Like they were some ground breaking bar that taught Houstonians about craft brews.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
K Bo said:

decent beer bars but not OG
Bingo.
MAS444
AG
Anyone heard if any of the OG Miller Lite bars are rumored to be closing?
BSD
AG
True OG beer bar, indeed. Pour a lil out.
TXAG 05
AG
MAS444 said:

Catty Corner seems to be going strong. Good crowd the past couple times I've been there. That will hurt more than Petrol.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
MAS444 said:

Was actually wondering about this too. I hope WAIH and Alice's are good.
MAS444
AG
WAIH and Alice's (and Catty Corner to a slightly lesser extent)- now you're talking Houston royalty. I'd like to see someone ask Alice for a list of her IPA offerings...
Texan_Aggie
AG
IPAs pair well with their chili.
bularry
yeah, great time to open a bar...
jetch17
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

has anyone checked on Jetch? is he in mourning?

Rancor's & beers on a Friday did not suck ... we'll see if Ben and devil beer follow

Good times at petrol over the years fo sho
TXAG 05
AG
MAS444 said:

WAIH and Alice's (and Catty Corner to a slightly lesser extent)- now you're talking Houston royalty. I'd like to see someone ask Alice for a list of her IPA offerings...

Haven't been to Alices recently, but have had some strong sessions at WAIH the past couple weeks, good crowds each time
MAS444
AG
Love that place! Haven't been in a long time...but was a regular back from '95 - '04 ish. We used to always go on Friday afternoons when the old man cooked hot dogs...before all the renovations/additions. Great spot.
BarryProfit
Ag_07 said:

Kind of ironic that the article gives that vibe as well. Like they were some ground breaking bar that taught Houstonians about craft brews.

They were ground breaking, no other bar in town like them when they got started.
BSD
AG
BarryProfit said:

Ag_07 said:

They were ground breaking, no other bar in town like them when they got started.

Yep. Thus...OG.
TXAG 05
AG
MAS444 said:

Love that place! Haven't been in a long time...but was a regular back from '95 - '04 ish. We used to always go on Friday afternoons when the old man cooked hot dogs...before all the renovations/additions. Great spot.

They've definitely churched it up over the years, but still a great place to go have some cold beers
Velvet Jones
AG
Quote:

triple hopped coffee stout IPA
I'm intrigued. Do you have a newsletter?
K Bo
AG
MAS444 said:

WAIH ain't want it used to be. Still a good hang with great people watching but they've tried to make it too "nice" over the last couple years. All I want from WAIH is cold Lone Star tall boys, free hot dogs on Friday night, a good game of horse, and some weird dudes smoking weed in the back.
TXAG 05
AG
K Bo said:

MAS444 said:

WAIH ain't want it used to be. Still a good hang with great people watching but they've tried to make it too "nice" over the last couple years. All I want from WAIH is cold Lone Star tall boys, free hot dogs on Friday night, a good game of horse, and some weird dudes smoking weed in the back.

Still better than what they did to the Marquis. Real bathrooms and windows?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.