Houston
Sponsored by

Dilemma: Private School Tuition and School Closures

17,178 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ferris Wheel Allstar
joerobert_pete06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently have my kids in private school in Houston. Tuition is due at the end of the month to enroll my kids for the upcoming school year which totals up to be 45k. I do not want to enroll my kids and drop this cash only to see the school roll out a distant learning program for my kids. My kids are 3 and 5 years old and so distant learning for them is a struggle and 30min zoom meetings a day, i don't think, is worth that expense.

On top of that, we already put down a 6k deposit and if we back out of the contract, we will have to pay a 16k penalty. If I back out of the contract, i am not sure what i can do legally to not pay that penalty. I would then consider putting my 5 year old in public school kindergarten and the younger one in some daycare.... or hire a nanny.

Is anyone else in this same situation?
terradactylexpress
joerobert_pete06 said:

My kids are 3 and 5 years old

Lol wut?
LostInLA07
AG
We had to pay for next school year back in March. I'll be pissed if next year is distance learning. Not sure how you can effectively do Pre-K and K with distance learning.
Cardiag
AG
You may find it hard to get your 5 year old into a good public school kindergarten in HISD if you don't act soon. Just an FYI.

My kids are in public school, but all my friends with kids in similar situations have just paid the tuition in hopes that it will happen. Good luck.
joerobert_pete06
AG
what is your question?
TexAg2001
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

what is your question?
I assume this person is struggling to understand why you are paying $45k for schooling a 3 and 5 year old.

I feel your pain, though, I have 3 kids in private school. Next year I will have 2 in high school and 1 in elementary and total bill will be around $50k.

Like someone else said, we had to sign contracts for next year by the end of March. At the time, there was no way anyone could have really imagined the possibility of distance learning continuing into next school year, so we signed them without really thinking about that.
Silky Johnston
Sounds like they have you over a barrel.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I believe he was objecting to formal education before puberty.

It's the price I object to (I say that as someone who has already paid a deposit for two kids in the fall). Even quality daycare ain't cheap. Anything short of grandma watching the kids all week is going to cost five figures for a dual income household.
TheWoodsAg
AG
Imagine paying the property taxes to live inside the loop, and then paying for private school on top of it.

My hats off to you ballers.....
joerobert_pete06
AG
I struggled with this too until we found this school. We wanted to get our 4 year old some exposure to structured learning before getting into kindergarten. This school blew all of the other daycares and so called preK schools out of the water, no regrets because of how much he has learned in less than a year.
NoahAg
Lol private school for 3 and 5 year olds isn't school. It's daycare.
Nice humblebrag tho.
aTm2004
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

I struggled with this too until we found this school. We wanted to get our 4 year old some exposure to structured learning before getting into kindergarten. This school blew all of the other daycares and so called preK schools out of the water, no regrets because of how much he has learned in less than a year.
They're a sponge at that age. You could sit him in front of a computer watching counting and flash card games on YouTube and he'll walk away being able to do simple math after a couple of months.
joerobert_pete06
AG
I would disagree but you do you
aTm2004
AG
I have 3 kids, 2 around your kid's ages. The strides they make between the start of a school year and the end are mind boggling. The price you're paying isn't for how much they learn in a year, it's so you know who isn't there with them.
Bondag
AG
For 45k get yourself an au pair with a nice pair.
joerobert_pete06
AG
I already looked through the catalog
MAROON
AG
Bondag said:

For 45k get yourself an au pair with a nice pair.
would cost waaaayyyy more in the long run - division of community property, child support, and the extra child after knocking up the au pair.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Ragoo
AG
Lol these kids Life time earnings will never surpass more than the lost time value of this 45k plus previous years plus future years.
cab559
AG
I'm sorry but $45k a year of tuition (day care) for a 3 and 5 year old is ridiculous. Maybe you make a mil a year, but even then. Sounds like you are getting raked over the coals and will be for the next 15+ years including college.

Move to memorial, buy yourself a nice pad, send your kids to SBISD, profit ??? (something like that)
Ag_07
AG
There's a sucker born every minute.

Anyone who pays $45k a year for day care is exactly that.
wessimo
AG
Pretty sure it is only 9 months.
Bondag
AG
cab559 said:

I'm sorry but $45k a year of tuition (day care) for a 3 and 5 year old is ridiculous. Maybe you make a mil a year, but even then. Sounds like you are getting raked over the coals and will be for the next 15+ years including college.

Move to memorial, buy yourself a nice pad, send your kids to SBISD, profit ??? (something like that)

Yea $200k down and $5,500 a month will get you a nice fixer upper in Memorial.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Ag_07 said:

There's a sucker born every minute.

Anyone who pays $45k a year for day care is exactly that.
the sucker are the folks that actually fell for this troll
sts7049
AG
this thread delivers
BMX Bandit
Need to hear mnichols review of the school before deciding
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
He sent five kids to the OP's preschool and was on the board for a while, but they had some problems and decided it really wasn't worth the money. For someone on such a limited budget, you're probably better off sending the kiddos to the Duke School.
94chem
My HS junior is taking 5 AP tests this week. I am now lamenting what could have been if we had started her in private pre-K.
WorthAg95
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

I would disagree but you do you
Seriously, sit your kids down in front of youtube this summer. You'll be amazed. What a dipshttt.
LostInLA07
AG
94chem said:

My HS junior is taking 5 AP tests this week. I am now lamenting what could have been if we had started her in private pre-K.

AP is a scam. Dual credit is guaranteed college credit.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
That doesn't get them out of the house and out of the way.
BQ_90
AG
Do you send them to Camp Mohawk for the summer
WorthAg95
AG
You can still do that for half the cost.
wessimo
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Imagine paying the property taxes to live inside the loop, and then paying for private school on top of it.

My hats off to you ballers.....

Meh, I live inside the loop and would guess my prop tax rate is lower than Spring Branch or the burbs, and send my kids to HISD. Maybe they will be scarred for life but I doubt it. I went to a 1a school in the sticks that had limited resources and I turned out alright.
cab559
AG
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet...

Would Dave Ramsey approve?

https://www.daveramsey.com/askdave/budgeting/cash-flow-private-schools

94chem
LostInLA07 said:

94chem said:

AP is a scam. Dual credit is guaranteed college credit.

That's not correct. I mean sure, at Texas State. But at a real school, sometimes you need to retain the content that the rigor of an AP course demands. Dual credit through UT? Sure. Dual credit through the local community college? No.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.