Houston
Sponsored by

Dilemma: Private School Tuition and School Closures

17,071 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ferris Wheel Allstar
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah, but my kids who have been in daycare Thunderdome will just whip your kid's ass into submission.
75AG
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Harry Lime said:

Texas pledge too, at least at some.
Also every single day. And a moment of silence.
Required by state law.
LostInLA07
AG
jftx04 said:

NoahAg said:

Lol private school for 3 and 5 year olds isn't school. It's daycare.
Nice humblebrag tho.

That's a terrible take. My kids have been in private school like OP. 5 and 3 as well. Both of my kids have been reading since age 3, and have pretty good bilingual foundations. You dont get that at daycare.
But we get it, cute punch line.

Our daughters are moving to a private school in August. One in K and the other in PreK. Wanted to keep them together.

However they've been at a church daycare and can read (sight words only for the 3 year old), know some Spanish, simple math. They also get lessons in ballet, soccer (I know, commies), and basketball while they are there.

So I think there is some overlap between private schools and daycare.

In any case, it will be interesting to compare our older daughters PreK this past year to our younger daughters PreK year at private school starting in August.
joerobert_pete06
AG
My 3yr old is 46lbs, wearing 5T and has serious calves on him.. future Aggie ILB. I'll take that bet

Take a guess which one is mine

TarponChaser
Lol

My boys are 9 & 5. The 9-year old is 5'2" and 125. He wears size 7 men's shoes. The 5-year old a/k/a "Hurricane" is like 4'1". Not sure what he weighs though- big brother toughens him up.
LostInLA07
AG
Your school keeps them in cages?
joerobert_pete06
AG
Each grade have their own yard and so there are fences
BMX Bandit
Makes sense. At $45k, I want assurances my kid can't escape
joerobert_pete06
AG
What school does not have fences around the property ?
cab559
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

What school does not have fences around the property ?

Your kid goes to school with yuppies named bodi. Makes perfect sense now.
Guitarsoup
AG
aTm2004 said:

Our ISD sent out a survey to parents this week to see how they want school to go next year. Options like "return to a normal schedule," "my child has medical conditions and would prefer online," "no medical conditions but online," and "I'm not sure right now."

Judging by the number of kids out playing in the parks with each other, riding their bikes in groups, hanging out in hammocks with each other (quite genius if you want some privacy in the open), neighborhood pool parties, etc, I'm feeling the money go to return to normal schedule.
Humble is apparently talking about making the teachers do their classes as normal, with separate lessons for the snowflakes that want to learn from home as well.

Also talking about a staggered schedule where half the kids will be MW and half will be TR with everyone remote on Friday.
wessimo
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Also talking about a staggered schedule where half the kids will be MW and half will be TR with everyone remote on Friday.

That would be a nightmare for working parents.

I haven't seen any studies showing that COVID spreads easily at schools or that children are major vectors for transmission. Unless data comes out to the contrary schools should open as normal.
aTm2004
AG
This. Parents will throw a fit.
jenn96
AG
wessimo said:

Guitarsoup said:

I haven't seen any studies showing that COVID spreads easily at schools or that children are major vectors for transmission. Unless data comes out to the contrary schools should open as normal.

That is literally the worst of both worlds. Absolute nightmare and would be worst option. They need to prove that kids are actual transmission vectors before proactively sabotaging their educations.
cab559
AG
We are ruining a future generation to protect a dying generation. Makes sense.

Bondag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

aTm2004 said:

Our ISD sent out a survey to parents this week to see how they want school to go next year. Options like "return to a normal schedule," "my child has medical conditions and would prefer online," "no medical conditions but online," and "I'm not sure right now."

Judging by the number of kids out playing in the parks with each other, riding their bikes in groups, hanging out in hammocks with each other (quite genius if you want some privacy in the open), neighborhood pool parties, etc, I'm feeling the money go to return to normal schedule.
Humble is apparently talking about making the teachers do their classes as normal, with separate lessons for the snowflakes that want to learn from home as well.

Kids are a symptomatic so if they spread it they will spread minimal volumes. Never should have closed.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
cab559 said:

We are ruining a future generation to protect a dying generation. Makes sense.

The Social Security Administration is holding on line 2.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
GrayMatter
AG
TXTransplant said:

It's a real frustration when junior- and senior-level students come in angry because they failed their engineering test because you didn't (re)teach them how and when to use the ideal gas law.
Wholy moly my A&M education still works, the first thing I thought about after reading your last sentence is PV=nRT!
Bondag
AG
GrayMatter said:

TXTransplant said:

It's a real frustration when junior- and senior-level students come in angry because they failed their engineering test because you didn't (re)teach them how and when to use the ideal gas law.
Wholy moly my A&M education still works, the first thing I thought about after reading your last sentence is PV=nRT!
Someone asked me why nitrogen in tires is better than oxygen. I said, "Ideally there is less pressure fluctuation with temperature changes."

When they did not start laughing hysterically, I knew I had to change my approach in the explanation.
GrayMatter
AG
Bondag said:

GrayMatter said:

TXTransplant said:

Someone asked me why nitrogen in tires is better than oxygen. I said, "Ideally there is less pressure fluctuation with temperature changes."

When they did not start laughing hysterically, I knew I had to change my approach in the explanation.
I half chuckled on that one. That's when you half stare at them for a bit without saying a word and then turn around to go back to what you were doing.
wessimo
AG
wessimo said:

Guitarsoup said:

Well, crap.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/03/868507524/israel-orders-schools-to-close-when-covid-19-cases-are-discovered
joerobert_pete06
AG
Ya for sure everyone will panic at the first case.
TxAggieBand85
AG
LostInLA07 said:

AP is a scam. Dual credit is guaranteed college credit.
Not necessarily a scam, big fan of AP here, I suggest to parents to award a car based on the hours earned. The better the college, the less AP hours recognized. There is a real savings to be made in AP and Dual Credit.

Then again, perhaps things have changed since 2010.

Dual credit is solid. IB is the best.

IB - International Baccalaureate
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

I currently have my kids in private school in Houston. Tuition is due at the end of the month to enroll my kids for the upcoming school year which totals up to be 45k. I do not want to enroll my kids and drop this cash only to see the school roll out a distant learning program for my kids. My kids are 3 and 5 years old and so distant learning for them is a struggle and 30min zoom meetings a day, i don't think, is worth that expense.

On top of that, we already put down a 6k deposit and if we back out of the contract, we will have to pay a 16k penalty. If I back out of the contract, i am not sure what i can do legally to not pay that penalty. I would then consider putting my 5 year old in public school kindergarten and the younger one in some daycare.... or hire a nanny.

Is anyone else in this same situation?

I've read this post only on this thread, and will advise you there are lots of haterades that we used to call lolpoors. I don't have kids that I'm aware of, but a nanny is tax deductible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.