Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,601,973 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Ciboag96
aggietony2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. I think my daughter's school is being too compliant with the health dept and volunteering stuff they need to make the county go looking for.
aggietony2010
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

Dear parents everywhere: STOP TESTING YOUR ****ING CHILDREN.

This is the dumb hyperbole that drives people nuts. Most parents are going to test their kid if they're sick no different than we used to be able to take them to the doctor to make sure it wasn't the early stages of strep or croop or any other sickness that can be bad if not treated correctly.

You don't know those other kids or teacher's health status and hell most likely neither do the parents know about some underlying condition a toddler might have at that point. At least knowing what you are or aren't dealing with can drastically help a parent take care of the kid.

It's inconvenient. We're all beyond tired of dealing with it at this point. But saying dumb things in frustration isn't a solution.

If the testing informs a medical decision, go for it.

In 99.99% of cases, it's solely to put a tick in the covid box.
AgLA06
AG
aggietony2010 said:

AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

This is the dumb hyperbole that drives people nuts. Most parents are going to test their kid if they're sick no different than we used to be able to take them to the doctor to make sure it wasn't the early stages of strep or croop or any other sickness that can be bad if not treated correctly.

You don't know those other kids or teacher's health status and hell most likely neither do the parents know about some underlying condition a toddler might have at that point. At least knowing what you are or aren't dealing with can drastically help a parent take care of the kid.

It's inconvenient. We're all beyond tired of dealing with it at this point. But saying dumb things in frustration isn't a solution.

The only people who care about some Covid box are on the extremes of politics. Most have gone on with their lives as best they could a long time ago and stopped watching the news or social media and politicians on both sides posture and fan the flames.

BohunkAg
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

I don't think it's dumb. I have had multiple doctors tell me to stop testing my children.
XpressAg09
AG
TXTransplant said:

Show me the studies where "list of teenage and 20 year old men and boys died after the vaccine." Where is the data? Reported by a reputable source, not a fringe, anti-vax website. Or even VAERS, that is known to contain false reports. Claims like that are straight up fear-mongering that should be called out.
Let's just agree that "reputable sources" are harder and harder to come by since COVID started. News and social media are hiding and/or removing data contrary to the narrative, and there's been reports of VAERS being edited or omitted as well.

Here's soccer players collapsing, though. Again, maybe not reputable, but you're not going to find this on MSNBC or CNN because it's not part of the narrative, plus soccer is an overseas sport.
https://themadtruther.com/2021/11/30/hundreds-of-soccer-players-collapsing-on-field-after-vaccines/
https://needtoknow.news/2021/11/unusually-large-number-of-soccer-players-and-athletes-who-have-collapsed-and-or-died-recently/
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/12/27/four-young-soccer-players-from-different-countries-inexplicably-drop-dead-from-heart-attacks-days-apart-1180892/

I guess what it comes down to is, everyone 'in the know' has been untruthful and/or outright lied about the vaccines and their effect on transmissibility, effectiveness against variants, etc. so I, and many others, have zero faith in them and/or don't want to take the risk...or maybe, at the end of the day, don't want people telling me what to do, especially if what they're telling me has been proven to be a lie.

Remember two weeks to slow the spread? It all started there.
Post removed:
by user
AgLA06
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

Do you really test your children every time they run a fever or have cold symptoms for more than a day or two?

Nope. How do you jump to that conclusion without a bias? Testing them all the time for the hell of it would be just as silly as not testing them with good reason. Both are more to do with political extremes than caring for your kid as a parent.

My oldest has been tested twice in 2 years. Confirmed Covid once. Home kits made the second time about the same as taking her temperature. She's also been tested for strep and flu in the last 2 years.

My youngest has been tested once in 2 years. Just when exposure and symptoms seemed to justify it as a parent who's trying to look out for my kids Who are sick.

They've both been in private school in person in much more normal situations than most kids over that time.

TXTransplant
I've see that before, and yeah, those are not reputable sources. It's not a study. It's just a list of names and unsubstantiated claims. The third link even says they don't know if the players were vaccinated - they are just assuming they were. Also, quite a few of those reports say the players collapsed but give no reason. Just because you collapse doesn't mean you had a heart attack or cardiac event - it could have been from dehydration or over-exertion or heat exhaustion.

And in that first link - the claim that doctors aren't actually vaccinating athletes but are putting them in the trash is just tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy crap.

While heart attacks among the young are rare, they aren't unheard of. My neighbor's husband died in his sleep of a heart attack a few days after his 40th birthday. A coworkers friend in his late 30s died of an embolism. Neither happened after a recent vaccination (I'm pretty sure at least one of them wasn't even vaccinated).

We have to be very careful drawing conclusions based on correlation rather than causation.

And I do have faith that there are people in the medical and research communities who are following up on vaccine adverse effects and would report if there were any trends.

I completely agree that there has been a lot of false and mis-information spread by both sides of this issue. All the more reason why we shouldn't perpetuate it or turn this into some conspiracy.

If you look at the actual studies and their effectiveness, no one has lied. The vaccines were very effective in both preventing severe illness and transmission in the early stages of their use. As the new variants became more prevalent, the prevention of transmission decreased (but they still overwhelmingly prevented severe infection). I don't think anyone "in the know" could have predicted how the vaccine would have performed on new variants. But somehow this decrease in effectiveness has been twisted to "the vaccines don't work". And that is simply not true.

This is why I say you have to take some initiative and research this yourself, rather than listening to whatever sound bite you hear on your preferred news channel, fringe website, or friend's Facebook page, or an influencer's Tik Tok videos. And this is true whether you are very pro-vaccine or skeptical of it.

It's probably too late for that, though, because most people have made up their minds and are just looking for sources to confirm their positions.
sts7049
AG
if links like those are how you gather information that says a lot
TXTransplant
sts7049 said:

Seriously, that first link goes back to an Info Wars video. Alex Jones has made himself a very wealthy man by scamming people with fraudulent information that he calls "news". He's the equivalent of a snake oil salesman, he just peddles fake news and ridiculous conspiracies instead of tonics and magic cures.
beerad12man
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

I don't remember ever being tested as a child for cold like symptoms.

Maybe for something severe. But I think the answer is in the middle. We can't keep testing every single cold like symptom. We should still test if anything seems severe.

So, the person you quoted, I would have to assume he means for minor symptoms which too many are doing.
beerad12man
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

The only people who care about some Covid box are on the extremes of politics. Most have gone on with their lives as best they could a long time ago and stopped watching the news or social media and politicians on both sides posture and fan the flames.

Well, I'm in a mask nearly 50 hours a week at work against my wishes, in large part because of some over inflated numbers in this wave, hospital incidentals, testing requirements that my company irrationally feels they need to have, worry about how we are going to expose the whole office and shut down, etc. We didn't wear masks from March 2021 to January 5th 2022. Through the delta wave which was worse severity, but nowhere near the sheer numbers of positives. But numbers have gone off the charts, so we got put back in them.

So I care about how many are truly severly sick as opposed to just simply tests positive for an asymptomatic and/or minor case. I'm sure many parents and kids who's kids are in them due to these numbers also mind.
htxag09
AG
beerad12man said:

AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

Maybe for something severe. But I think the answer is in the middle. We can't keep testing every single cold like symptom. We should still test if anything seems severe.

So, the person you quoted, I would have to assume he means for minor symptoms which too many are doing.

What's severe? I mean look at strep throat. I had it almost every year as a kid. To most people on these threads, a slight fever and sore throat are "cold like symptoms" and it's dumb to go to a doctor. Had my mom just kept me at home to let it run it's course it never would have gotten better and just been more days of misery or turn into something worse.

Honestly I can't think of a single time where I was sick and stayed home but didn't go to the doctor. Hell, if for no other reason for a doctors note.

Wanting to know what's wrong with your child so you can address it is nothing new nor is it Covid fear.
XpressAg09
AG
sts7049 said:

Spare me. They were the first that popped up. Here's one from the Daily Mail that mentions the surprising rise in on-field deaths. These names aren't made up, and you can't pretend that seemingly fit soccer players suddenly developing cardiac issues is a normal thing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10314165/Football-seen-worrying-spike-cardiac-arrests-heart-related-issues-2021.html

Quote:

hree of the most harrowing in-game episodes that football has seen were spread over more than 18 years, yet it feels that barely a week goes by at the moment without news of another cardiac-related incident in the game.

What's odd is y'all are still such fans of these vaccines despite more and more "credible" sources (CDC, WHO, etc) coming out and repeatedly contradicting themselves or having been shown to push incorrect data on multiple occasions.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
htxag09 said:

beerad12man said:

AgLA06 said:

aggietony2010 said:

What's severe? I mean look at strep throat. I had it almost every year as a kid. To most people on these threads, a slight fever and sore throat are "cold like symptoms" and it's dumb to go to a doctor. Had my mom just kept me at home to let it run it's course it never would have gotten better and just been more days of misery or turn into something worse.

Honestly I can't think of a single time where I was sick and stayed home but didn't go to the doctor. Hell, if for no other reason for a doctors note.

Wanting to know what's wrong with your child so you can address it is nothing new nor is it Covid fear.

For kids, you're not going to do anything differently if they have a cold or COVID. Seeing positive on a COVID test isn't going to change how you treat them. In that regard, it doesn't matter if they have a cold or COVID - either way, you're just going to tell them to rest and drink fluids and they'll be better the next day.
htxag09
AG
Understand, but as a parent wouldn't you still want to know? Again, we're acting like this is a new phenomenon, it's not. Growing up if I was sick I went to the doctor, period. If I woke up and had a fever my mom kept me home from school and called my doctor. Guess what? If it was the flu it was the same story as Covid, rest, fluids, otc meds to make me feel more comfortable. Nothing really the doctor can do. Doesn't mean I didn't go to the doctor to confirm.

There's a lot of different crap going on. Some is treatable, some is not. What if it's a sinus infection, strep, bronchitis, ear infection? All those are treatable. Flu, cold, Covid? Those aren't. I'm not a doctor and can't really tell the difference in my child, so am going to seek a doctors guidance.
RK
AG
that's not imprudent. what may be different for some, is that they continue to test until a negative test result is achieved...whereas, with most of the other similar illness, you identify what it is and just treat until symptoms subside, then go on about your day.
jetch17
AG
When my kids have had covid, there has been no need to go to the doc as it lasts all of about 1 day - there is no need 'to know' anymore or subject them to a test to 'know' …. Feel bad, stay home.
BohunkAg
AG
With all of this being said, I think the main thing that's gotten lost here is people should be allowed to parent as they please. That's what it's all about (or should be).
TXTransplant
XpressAg09 said:

sts7049 said:

Spare me. They were the first that popped up. Here's one from the Daily Mail that mentions the surprising rise in on-field deaths. These names aren't made up, and you can't pretend that seemingly fit soccer players suddenly developing cardiac issues is a normal thing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10314165/Football-seen-worrying-spike-cardiac-arrests-heart-related-issues-2021.html

Quote:

hree of the most harrowing in-game episodes that football has seen were spread over more than 18 years, yet it feels that barely a week goes by at the moment without news of another cardiac-related incident in the game.

What's odd is y'all are still such fans of these vaccines despite more and more "credible" sources (CDC, WHO, etc) coming out and repeatedly contradicting themselves or having been shown to push incorrect data on multiple occasions.

You're not helping your argument. The Daily Mail is a tabloid and has long been recognized as such. They are known for their click bait headlines.

What's odd is that you don't seem to understand that people and companies are getting very rich by posting these click bait headlines. They are not reliable sources of information, and the articles are nothing more than anecdotes and speculation.

Also, if you read the article you linked, it specifically says that in at least 4 of the "highlighted" cases, the player's condition was not linked to a Covid infection or a vaccination prior to the event. The article also states that heart conditions among these athletes is something that has been closely monitored since 1997. And it says that more than 600 people under the age of 35 are killed every year due to sudden cardiac arrest.

My understanding of the vaccines has nothing to do with data put out by the CDC or WHO. Those are not the only sources of information, and just because the CDC or WHO puts out information that is contradictory, incomplete, or even incorrect, that doesn't mean that all other information on the topic is incorrect too.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
htxag09 said:

Understand, but as a parent wouldn't you still want to know? Again, we're acting like this is a new phenomenon, it's not. Growing up if I was sick I went to the doctor, period. If I woke up and had a fever my mom kept me home from school and called my doctor. Guess what? If it was the flu it was the same story as Covid, rest, fluids, otc meds to make me feel more comfortable. Nothing really the doctor can do. Doesn't mean I didn't go to the doctor to confirm.

There's a lot of different crap going on. Some is treatable, some is not. What if it's a sinus infection, strep, bronchitis, ear infection? All those are treatable. Flu, cold, Covid? Those aren't. I'm not a doctor and can't really tell the difference in my child, so am going to seek a doctors guidance.

Our daughter was exposed to people who had COVID. She developed a runny nose. We figured it was COVID, kept an eye on her, and moved on. She was at about 95% when she had the runny nose and back to 100% within a day or two. I'm not sure what good it would have done us to drag her to the doctor so that they could swab her nose instead of letting her continue to play in the backyard. We don't know for sure that she had COVID but it doesn't really matter at all.
WES2006AG
AG
XpressAg09 said:

sts7049 said:

Quote:

Your rebuttal when called out for bad sources is to post an article from the Daily Mail?
htxag09
AG
Yeah. If you read my posts I'm not taking about a runny nose. I'm basically saying once a child has a fever, which I believe what most posters on this thread are talking about when testing their kids. My kid has had a runny nose since he started daycare 10 months ago.
LostInLA07
AG
htxag09 said:

Flu is treatable so I would definitely have my kid tested for that if they had flu like symptoms.

No reason to test for covid in a child who has mild symptoms. Our kids would be tested for covid weekly if we took them to the doctor or a testing site every time they had a cough or runny nose.

I don't really care which random virus they have if their symptoms are mild or don't last long. If they have a fever for more than a couple of days and Tylenol or Motrin doesn't work I'll make a doctor appt (or most likely just take them to urgent care.) Even then, if strep and flu come back negative I don't see any reason to stick another cotton rod in their nose just because I'm curious. If their treatment would change, sure…but otherwise it accomplishes nothing.
TXTransplant
So, I'm all for giving people the freedom to parent their kids because I wouldn't want someone else scrutinizing the decisions that I've made.

But with that said, as my son has gotten older (he's 17), my parenting decisions have changed.

He wasn't feeling well a couple of weeks ago. Congestion, sore throat, fatigue, brown/green snot, etc. He stayed home for a day, but by the next day he felt better, so he went back to school. Never ran a fever.

Fast forward a couple of days from that, and the lymph nodes in his throat swelled up like crazy. His face and jaw area were swollen, and it extended all the way up to his ears. He still said he felt ok, but these were odd symptoms for him. The next day I got him a tele-health appt. I was fully expecting the doctor to ask if he'd had a Covid test, but he never mentioned it. We explained the symptoms and he prescribed an antibiotic. Everything cleared up within a couple of days of starting that.

We never got an official diagnosis, nor do I think we needed one. I decided to do the tele-health appt based on the severity of his symptoms and the fact that these symptoms were unusual for him. When he does get sick, it's usually strep. After several bouts with that, I know what strep looks like for him usual know when a doctor's visit is necessary.

I think the concern is doctor's offices and clinics filling up with people who have relatively minor symptoms (whether they are caused by Covid or not) only to be told to go home and rest/let it run it's course. This becomes a strain on the system and it interferes with patients who are REALLY sick and do need quick medical attention.

A better alternative if you're concerned about covid might be to use the home test kits and go to the doctor if the symptoms get worse (very high fever, severe vomiting, etc) or if the kid develops unusual symptoms. You don't have to shove the q-tips up to the brain anymore. They all just need you to get a good sample from the circumference of the inside of the nostril, maybe reaching up to the bone.

But, when my son was an infant, I was that mom who rushed him to the emergency room in the middle of the night when he had croup because his coughing and breathing were scary, and I'd never experienced that before. I could tell the ER staff were super annoyed with me. But when he had croup subsequent times, we didn't go to the ER (and depending on the severity of the cough and how long it lasted, sometimes we didn't even go to the doctor).
jetch17
AG
Transplants posts are 4 paragraph minimums, yeah?
TXTransplant
I'm on a bender today. Sorry about that.
XpressAg09
AG
Then let's do this source-free.

Why should I get a vaccine that has existed for less than just over two years, to combat a virus which, at this point, has a near-perfect survivability rate, especially for those in my age group, if the vaccine will not guarantee any less transmissibility, thereby clearing my conscious of negligently infecting anyone at risk?

This whole back and forth centers around your presumed conviction and faith in these vaccines and my skepticism about its efficacy and necessity, potential side effects (of virus or vaccine) notwithstanding.
jetch17
AG
TXTransplant said:

Just messing with you … I'm on a Friday bender too
htxag09
AG
LostInLA07 said:

htxag09 said:

Flu is treatable so I would definitely have my kid tested for that if they had flu like symptoms.

No reason to test for covid in a child who has mild symptoms. Our kids would be tested for covid weekly if we took them to the doctor or a testing site every time they had a cough or runny nose.

I don't really care which random virus they have if their symptoms are mild or don't last long. If they have a fever for more than a couple of days and Tylenol or Motrin doesn't work I'll make a doctor appt (or most likely just take them to urgent care.) Even then, if strep and flu come back negative I don't see any reason to stick another cotton rod in their nose just because I'm curious. If their treatment would change, sure…but otherwise it accomplishes nothing.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's perfectly reasonable and responsible parenting. I'm not saying otherwise.

My point is every time someone mentions their kids got tested they get told that testing kids is dumb, it's Covid paranoia caused by the news, government, etc. I was simply pointing out that the obnoxiousness in this and using my mom as an example. 25, 30 years ago if I woke up with a fever I didn't go to school. Didn't matter if it lasted for 2 hours. If I didn't go to school I went to the doctor. This isn't a new phenomenon nor is it a Covid phenomenon.

Both of these are reasonable parenting decisions. To question or mock the other as covid fear is dumb and not helpful.

Edit to clarify: I absolutely believe there are parents and people terrified of Covid so they're testing perfectly healthy children and doing so regularly. And yes, I agree that is stupid. However, I think we can all agree those parents probably aren't on this thread and are the outliers.
TXTransplant
jetch17 said:

TXTransplant said:

Just messing with you … I'm on a Friday bender too

I'm also doing dry January…
TXTransplant
XpressAg09 said:

Then let's do this source-free.

Why should I get a vaccine that has existed for less than just over two years, to combat a virus which, at this point, has a near-perfect survivability rate, especially for those in my age group, if the vaccine will not guarantee any less transmissibility, thereby clearing my conscious of negligently infecting anyone at risk?

This whole back and forth centers around your presumed conviction and faith in these vaccines and my skepticism about its efficacy and necessity, potential side effects (of virus or vaccine) notwithstanding.

Way to move the goal posts. I've never questioned or criticized your decision (or anyone else's) to not take the vaccine. None of my posts have been an attempt to convince anyone to get the vaccine.

I'm calling out false information, misunderstandings, and blatant lies that have been perpetuated about the vaccine and the virus.
ChemAg15
AG
The vaccine won't end the pandemic because it doesn't stop the spread. At this point it is obvious that we cannot vaccinate covid away.

Knowing that, getting the vaccine should be a personal choice for everyone regardless of how effective it may be. At this point, arguing with anyone about whether they should or shouldn't get vaxxed is such a waste of time and energy. And anybody arguing for mandatory vaccinations hasn't come to grips that the vaccine can't beat covid.

This thread has lost its way.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Fauci has already publicly stated, version 2 of covid vaccination needs to have the ability to sterilize the virus.

Because the current one does not.
Keegan99
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Fauci has already publicly stated, version 2 of covid vaccination needs to have the ability to sterilize the virus.

Because the current one does not.

Hold on, so we're supposed to trust their assessment of the ability of a new vaccine to sterilize, when for months they erroneously thought the current vaccine sterilized?
First Page Last Page
Page 588 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.