Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,503,391 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Ciboag96
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cone said:

an exceedingly small percent of the population has been infected so far

there will be multiple waves of this thing
y'all are right. we need to hunker down until we get through all the multiple waves.
CFTXAG10
AG
cone said:

Boo Weekley
FNG said:

Except a lot of models and projections show that this could go on for months.

It's too soon to talk about lifting restrictions. Maybe if people had been following them all along. But that hasn't happened.
Too bad, not going to crash the damned economy and enter a modern Great Depression over this sh**. I don't think some people realize just how bad 30%, 40%, 50% unemployment would be in this country.

Already, even if we re-opened things back up May 1, this is going to be a VERY slow and painful recovery. By then we will prob have had approx 15-20MM, maybe more, unemployment claims.

At some point we have to realize that China is a scourge upon the earth and that this should be a lesson to all that developed nations need to find new trade partners, and that we need to resume our lives, while focusing attention/efforts on the elderly and the ill.

Sure, it wasn't perfect, but we did our part. It's ridiculous to demand MONTHS of this. That would suffocate any life out of our economy and bring lasting devastation and misery that none of us have seen in our lifetimes.
Boo Weekley
Mikeyshooter said:

cone said:

y'all are right. we need to hunker down until we get through all the multiple waves.
Democrat wet dream.
David_Puddy
AG
CDUB98 said:

This thing isn't going away until 1 of 2 things happen:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

It's time we accept this and start isolating the sick and vulnerable while letting the healthy and strong get back to life.

2. Hydroxychloroquine

While not 100% proven vaccine yet, there have literally been no negative effects and everyone who has taken it has had positive results (minus the idiot who drank fish tank cleaner). Dumbass Governor Cuomo finally lifted the restrictions on it and let doctors prescribe it. Gee, what a novel idea to let those who know what they're doing make the decision on how to properly vaccinate people.
Mikeyshooter
AG
cone said:

Just so I can be "that guy" and dissect every word to make me sound smart...

No one knows the % of the population that has been infected. We may never know.
Seabreeze
Well then lock yourself in your home, and weld the doors shut. The rest of us would like to go back to work, and drink a beer.
David_Puddy
AG
Boo Weekley said:

FNG said:

Except a lot of models and projections show that this could go on for months.

It's too soon to talk about lifting restrictions. Maybe if people had been following them all along. But that hasn't happened.
Too bad, not going to crash the damned economy and enter a modern Great Depression over this sh**. I don't think some people realize just how bad 30%, 40%, 50% unemployment would be in this country.

Already, even if we re-opened things back up May 1, this is going to be a VERY slow and painful recovery. By then we will prob have had approx 15-20MM, maybe more, unemployment claims.

At some point we have to realize that China is a scourge upon the earth and that this should be a lesson to all that developed nations need to find new trade partners, and that we need to resume our lives, while focusing attention/efforts on the elderly and the ill.

Sure, it wasn't perfect, but we did our part. It's ridiculous to demand MONTHS of this. That would suffocate any life out of our economy and bring lasting devastation and misery that none of us have seen in our lifetimes.

This
David_Puddy
AG
FNG said:

David_Puddy said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

It's time we accept this and start isolating the sick and vulnerable while letting the healthy and strong get back to life.

2. Hydroxychloroquine

While not 100% proven vaccine yet, there have literally been no negative effects and everyone who has taken it has had positive results (minus the idiot who drank fish tank cleaner). Dumbass Governor Cuomo finally lifted the restrictions on it and let doctors prescribe it. Gee, what a novel idea to let those who know what they're doing make the decision on how to properly vaccinate people.

And Fauci came out and said "we haven't had clinical trials yet, it's too soon to say this shows promise".

But anecdotal data is still data.

I've seen more interviews than I can count about people who have fully recovered from using the drug. Fauci is 100% a scientist and if it were up to him, he'd wait 2 years before giving this drug the green light.
David_Puddy
AG
FNG said:

The Scowcroft Institute pandemic panel said, in a live presentation at Rudder Forum in early March, that the earliest a vaccine could be developed, go through clinical trials, and be produced for the public is likely 18 months.

These are experts in the field that study pandemics full time and teach the subject and make policy recommendations.

Sorry if you disagree with science.

The drug has no proven negative side effects though. You stay with your science, the rest of us would like to go back to making $
Zobel
AG
99%+ of people recover without the drug. That's why it's hard to know the benefit. Shouldn't be a political thing. There's 300+ drug trials going on right now for covid.19th, about 1/5 are for HCL or chloroquine. Hope we get something confirmed and effective soon.. both for severe treatment and prophylactic use..
Betoisafurry
Then why the **** are you on our board trolling?
Texaggie7nine
Can we do without the ad hominem and hyperbole on this thread and keep it to Tine related Covid things? Just a thought

There's plenty of threads on Forum 16 to engage in that.
7nine
David_Puddy
AG
k2aggie07 said:

99%+ of people recover without the drug. That's why it's hard to know the benefit. Shouldn't be a political thing. There's 300+ drug trials going on right now for covid.19th, about 1/5 are for HCL or chloroquine. Hope we get something confirmed and effective soon.. both for severe treatment and prophylactic use..

Quarantine has certainly worked as well. Majority of the interviews I've seen have mentioned full recovery within a day or 2. Matter of fact, I saw an interview last night with a congress woman that said it took a little over a day for her to feel completely normal again. I mean the drug is a vaccine for malaria.
Zobel
AG
So far in 3 trials its not helped severe cases or had much success against control. We don't know if it's only a 2-3 day thing for some people anyway. It may be a fancy placebo.

Malaria is a parasite, not a virus. I'm not saying it's not helping. I'm just saying the anecdotes aren't for severely ill, they're like tamiflu where if you take it early you get better faster. That doesn't help the mortality figures. But the political aspect of the argument is stupid. Let docs treat their pts, they prescribe drugs off-label all the time.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

Except for the whole "we can't tell who is sick" part of people walking around sharing the virus but displaying no symptoms.

You know, that tiny little detail.

That's the herd immunity part, dumbass.

Gawd, I wish you has stayed away from this place.

Wish in one hand...

Sorry you hate logic and facts. You sound like the middle-aged women in Cali and NY on my Facebook feed.

Herd immunity is a pipe dream right now. We are a long way out from that.

Most of you seem more worried about bro-ing it up on the patio at a watering hole. You are like the people that didn't evacuate during Harvey and are upset your power has been out a few days.

This is a pandemic. Sorry some of you are inconvenienced.

Herd immunity is inevitable. What do you think happens to the virus once the quarantine is lifted?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
David_Puddy
AG
FNG said:

David_Puddy said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

Except for the whole "we can't tell who is sick" part of people walking around sharing the virus but displaying no symptoms.

Wish in one hand...

Sorry you hate logic and facts. You sound like the middle-aged women in Cali and NY on my Facebook feed.

Most of you seem more worried about bro-ing it up on the patio at a watering hole. You are like the people that didn't evacuate during Harvey and are upset your power has been out a few days.

Jesus.....are you some General Board troll or what? No most of us are worried about the unemployment rate, declining stocks & 401k, $25 crude, and getting back to work and making money. Going to a local watering hole is a nice luxury to having things back to normal, but that's not what anyone is worried about buddy.

I would love for crude to be up in the $50-$70 range at the highest. I'm working remotely so that's good but do hope other people can go back when it's safe to do so.

It's not. Not yet.

And I know this shelter in place has crushed your opportunities to run to this board and tell us how you shared a urinal with JFF at Katy Ice House or caught Bill Balleza in the lobby to hand him the cell phone he left on the bar at Hotel Derek. Your "brush with greatness" stories have always been a board favorite.

Good God man, I've never shared a urinal with JFF anywhere nor have a met or care to meet Bill Balleza. You've got me confused with someone else apparently. What the hell are you doing on a Houston corona virus thread if you don't live here anyway (and trying your damndest to troll and derail this thread which for the most part has provided good info)? Maybe you should actually log off of here and be essential to whatever O&G company employs you and be thankful that you still have a job. Especially since a good friend of mine was laid off after 18 years at one of the majors.
David_Puddy
AG
On a thread specifically discussing that, sure. I've had my run ins like everyone else. This is not the place for it, so unless you have any useful info, you should probably refrain from posting.
RK
AG
cajunaggie08
AG
Troutslime said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

Wish in one hand...

Herd immunity is inevitable. What do you think happens to the virus once the quarantine is lifted?
I think if we lift it too soon, the virus runs wild again. All this social distancing isnt building up a herd immunity. Herd immunity is what happens when a majority of us have enough anti-bodies to stave off being infected. So unless we all have already carried the virus at one point or another, we're not immune. We're just trying to prevent the spread at this point.
CDUB98
AG
STAFF sprayed some e-Lysol.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Troutslime said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

Wish in one hand...

I think if we lift it too soon, the virus runs wild again. All this social distancing isnt building up a herd immunity. Herd immunity is what happens when a majority of us have enough anti-bodies to stave off being infected. So unless we all have already carried the virus at one point or another, we're not immune. We're just trying to prevent the spread at this point.

And how does one get the antibodies?

The virus will continue to attack the host until herd immunity has reached a point that the virus has no host and dissipates.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
ensign_beedrill
AG
CDUB98 said:

STAFF sprayed some e-Lysol.
Where'd they get it? I haven't been able to find that stuff on the shelves in weeks.
cajunaggie08
AG
Troutslime said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Troutslime said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

Wish in one hand...

The virus will continue to attack the host until herd immunity has reached a point that the virus has no host and dissipates.
Option 1: Through a controlled means such as a vaccine
Option 2: Controlled exposure where we all get introduced to it, stuffed full of the malaria drug, and then put in mandatory individual 2 week lock downs (similar to the chicken pox parties back in the day)
Option 3: Uncontrolled exposure and we let natural selection go to work. I am biased but considering my wife, my oldest child, and I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for modern medicine, I don't like our odds when it comes to natural selection when facing a virus that attacks and weakens the very things that make us health risks.

I'm sure I am missing some other options as I am no medical expert when it comes to immunology, but I did room with a future PhD in Immunology and a future MD while at A&M. I was their test dummy for all their presentations.
CDUB98
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Troutslime said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Troutslime said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

FNG said:

CDUB98 said:

1. herd immunity
2. vaccine

Wish in one hand...

Option 1: Through a controlled means such as a vaccine
Option 2: Controlled exposure where we all get introduced to it, stuffed full of the malaria drug, and then put in mandatory individual 2 week lock downs (similar to the chicken pox parties back in the day)
Option 3: Uncontrolled exposure and we let natural selection go to work. I am biased but considering my wife, my oldest child, and I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for modern medicine, I don't like our odds when it comes to natural selection when facing a virus that attacks and weakens the very things that make us health risks.

Option 1: Over a year away. Economy cannot handle a lockdown that long. Impossible to wait.
Option 2: Untenable. Impracticable. Without a gun to their head, many will refuse to do it. If one is into authoritarianism though, there's no issue killing a few people to gain compliance.
Option 3: In the short run, this is our only option. I don't say that lightly. I will be horrible. Everyone will suffer loss. But the quality of life for years to come only gets worse with every passing day of the economy having one leg and one arm tied down.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Without option 1 and 2, option 3 is the only solution. The virus has an inevitability that can't be stopped no matter how hard we try. Let's sack up and get on with it.
Thomas Sowell
Zobel
AG
I have said previously the only way out is through, but that doesn't mean grin and bear it is the only way through.

High capacity for testing and vigilance by people about their own symptoms, combined with wide-scale mask wearing in public to reduce asymptomatic spread, can allow us to get through without unmanageably high transmission rates and the corresponding fatalities. It also results in far far fewer infections until we can get a vaccine.

I believe that, and I think that is the way we will move forward.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Troutslime said:

Without option 1 and 2, option 3 is the only solution. The virus has an inevitability that can't be stopped no matter how hard we try. Let's sack up and get on with it.
Agreed, Should have been what happened from the git-go. Would have been much easier without a wrecked economy.

Just like with global warming, we've accepted the illusion that we can control nature, when that ain't the case. Right now er are just pulling that bandaid off real slow, making sure to catch every hair.
wessimo
AG
175 new cases today. Maybe a record?

Texaggie7nine
Still, for a city of like 2.5 mil that's not even a drop in the water. Hopefully it stays close to that.
7nine
cone
AG
curious where the high testing capacity is going to materialize in a month

sounds good on paper though
IrishTxAggie
AG
It's still some of the backlog tests from my understanding.
Keegan99
AG
It really is amazing how opaque they are with the data.

It wouldn't be difficult at all to post a spreadsheet with the number of positives by date the test was administered.

If these are results from tests that were administered weeks ago, calling them "new cases" isn't really a truthful statement.
htxag09
AG
I'm even more amazed by the new death data being a week old
Ag_07
AG
I'd like to know why in the world are we building a temporary med facility at NRG if our hospitals are doing just fine and there are no indications they're gonna be overrun?
First Page Last Page
Page 76 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.