Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,601,820 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Ciboag96
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Students are walking out and boycotting classes over COVID protocols? Tell me it ain't so. High school kids not wanting to go to class?

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/31/texas-students-covid-19-walkouts/
kubiak03
AG
Not even a sentence in the article with hospitalization rates for the kids. only about positive cases...

such crappy journalism
Quincey P. Morris
AG
CCISD just dropped back to their second lowest stage on their COVID chart. The only thing lower is completely back to normal because COVID has been declared endemic. As of now, there's really not much different from normal already, but maybe this means our local nut job that shows up and screeches at every council meeting will calm down. Probably not that lucky though. She'll probably declare that they did this to appease her and the rest of us should be grateful.
ChemAg15
AG
These kids have had over 10% of their Iives ****ed over by Covidians. High school kids are graduating and looking at a bleak future of virtual college or a weak labor market. High schoolers have more reason to protest and walkout than anyone else imo. If this bull**** doesn't end, they're the ones that have to live with it the longest.
cone
AG
Lina must hate kids. Only explanation of the complete lack of plan to de mask HISD.
cone
AG
Keegan99
AG
Ha! Not a bit of actual science has changed since she was on CNN last month saying everyone needed to wear N95s all the time.
rilloaggie
AG
Our daycare sent out an unexpected but much welcomed email removing the mask mandate for parents and teachers.
Al Bula
AG
The Dims sure are fearful of losing power.
jetch17
AG
Clown ass world.
gougler08
AG
Easy, Rod said:

The Dims sure are fearful of losing power.
It's obvious, blue states are removing mandates left and right + CNN pushing for it now too
LostInLA07
AG
The political science has changed and now it's time to "beat covid."

Thanks to the free masks and 4 tests available for everyone to order from the post office, the Biden administration acted decisively to crush covid and lead the strongest, most glorious and inclusive recovery in the history of the universe. Except for in person voting, which is still highly deadly for everyone regardless of vaccination status or prior infection and also racist, we can resume normal life now until the start of the winter of death part II in early December.
RK
AG
Keegan99 said:

Ha! Not a bit of actual science has changed since she was on CNN last month saying everyone needed to wear N95s all the time.
i always lol at the use of "science". "science changed!". no, it didn't. your view of the data and results has changed.
RK
AG
Quote:

The political science has changed...
exactly.
cone
AG
will HISD be still requiring masks on the return from spring break?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It amazes me they've stuck with it and been allowed to given the number of districts around them that have scrapped mandates with very little issue. CCISD is 40k+ students and cases bumped up to around 500-600 before falling off a cliff. I laugh every time I see an article wondering what opening schools would look like or taking off masks when there are countless districts around the country that have already done that. We know what it looks like and the world didn't end.
RK
AG
cone said:

will HISD be still requiring masks on the return from spring break?

I'm guessing 100% yes on that.
agz win
AG
Management confirms full return to office next Tuesday with now a flex schedule in place requiring three days a week in office. With my long commute, going to request driving in two days.
CDUB98
AG
We are still required to mask away from our desks. Of course, Covid magically stops spreading when we're at our 5' wall cubicles and open area seating.

Required to come in 2 days a week now too.

In my group, we're pretty much maskless walking around our area and only put them on when we have to go into the common areas/restrooms.

But dammitt, corporate requires you wear that damn mask!!
tylercsbn9
AG
agz win said:

Management confirms full return to office next Tuesday with now a flex schedule in place requiring three days a week in office. With my long commute, going to request driving in two days.
Must be a lot of companies going back. Our is letting us back next month. I haven't been since March 2020. We have a hybrid schedule. I guess they expect people to come in 1-2 times a week. Mask must be worn of course. None of my direct team is in Houston so frankly I really don't plan to go in until that nonsense is done. I'll probably go once that first week since I have changed teams in the last two years so I will need to move to a new work space, but other than that I really don't plan to go.
cone
AG
ridiculous

actively harming kids with zero offramp
RK
AG
they'd rather face the backlash of non-maskers and hide under the guise of "safety", than reverse course and face the wrath of maskers and their "we're all going to die" platform.
cone
AG
i assume they'll reverse course when NYC and DC drops kid masking

the new guy is completely spineless
tylercsbn9
AG
HISD has 1300 active cases with 220k students/staff
Cy fair has 200 with 135k students/staff

Lolz
Bassmaster
AG
I'm sure Cy Fair has more cases. The difference is that the Cy Fair parents are smarter than the HISD parents and are either not testing their kids or not reporting positive tests to the district, as it should be.
XpressAg09
AG
XpressAg09 said:

You know, with CNN, the CDC, etc. coming out in the past 24 hours or so with all kinds of new data, I can just say that it's good to know I've been right the whole damn time.

Still feels great, by the way.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
XpressAg09 said:

XpressAg09 said:

You know, with CNN, the CDC, etc. coming out in the past 24 hours or so with all kinds of new data, I can just say that it's good to know I've been right the whole damn time.

Still feels great, by the way.
It's just the start of the next narrative, " SEE?!??!?!!? BIDEN AND HIS DEMOCRATS CRUSHED THE RONA SO VOTE FOR US IN 2022 OR YOU'RE A RACIST THAT WANTS GRANNY TO DIE!!!!!"
beerad12man
AG
I still cannot believe forced masking is a thing. I'm literally beside myself how we got here in February of 2022.

How is it even allowed? Masking has downsides, no matter how much some others might disagree or try to convince themselves they do not. NO ONE, not a single person, should be forced to wear one against their wishes. I don't care if you are a business owner, school district, governor. No one should be able to force others to do something that many have physical, social, or even psychological downsides to some individuals.

I mean, where does it end? Does forced hazmat suits okay? Would it be okay to force everyone to wear 5 N95s, just for extra protection? It's a slippery slope to allow this. These are not seatbelts, or a shirt, or a pair of shoes, which have no real downsides socially or psychologically to wear.
CDUB98
AG
Disagree with you on business owners.

That's their property and you are voluntarily stepping into their establishment. Your rights end where theirs begin.

You also have the choice to about-face and leave, which I wholeheartedly support...and have done.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
CDUB98 said:

Disagree with you on business owners.

That's their property and you are voluntarily stepping into their establishment. Your rights end where theirs begin.

You also have the choice to about-face and leave, which I wholeheartedly support...and have done.

Agree with this.

Because, we'll, this is America.
beerad12man
AG
Yes, I know they obviously currently can, but I would fight to make it as hard to enforce as possible. With so many rules, training, litigation, opt outs, extra accommodations having to be made, etc, that it just isn't worth it moving forward.

We basically had millions of people forced in masks by their employers on a whim, without the employer knowing a single thing about masking, their pros or potential cons, training on how to wear them, their efficacy, etc. Without considering disability protection such as hearing impaired, or hard of breathing. Without making accommodations for those who feel oppressed, or have social or psychological downsides such as anxiety or depression, communication issues, physical issues ranging from as small as rashes or acne, to permanent damage behind the ears, etc., associated with mask usage.

It's just hard for me to accept that anyone can make you do something that might have downsides, without their research of those downsides, and appropriate accommodations or exceptions in place. This is a slippery slope for us to go down. Even for those of us normally rooted in capitalism.

When it comes to protecting employees rights, we have done this before. For example, forcing people to wear politically or religiously oppressive items. An employer can't just force someone to wear a swastika symbol, or a Christianity reference, or a republican or democratic reference. For masks, they already can't force N95 wearing without proper training classes(which I know of many who have just bypassed this fact). Why not all masks? Make it as hard as possible for a business to actually enforce it, to where it just isn't worth it for most. Can they force everyone to wear 7 N-95 masks? I mean, it's their place of business. To hell with passing out from lack of oxygen. It's the employers right, correct? A weighted hat on their head that might cause neck issues just because it's their place? Wear 10 sweatshirts even if it's 100 degrees in the office? I know these are silly, and hyperbole, but you can easily see why someone would question what an employer can truly force one to wear or not, and when it might be appropriate to take legal action to protect against it.
beerad12man
AG
I assume you are also cool with vaccine mandates via employers, too? You have suspended all rights by your logic, it sounds.
CDUB98
AG
Dude, you're going about as anti-Covid crazy as those Branch Covidians. It doesn't have to be a binary choice. Geez.

1) My post was about you being a customer voluntarily walking into a business. For you to think I'm talking about employment means you didn't understand what I said at all.

2) If an employer wants to require the "vaxx" as a condition of employment, I do believe they can. The employee has a right, and the choice, to leave. As long as an employer is not forcibly holding people down and injecting them, there is still free will.

Much like free speech, just because you don't like what comes out of someone's mouth doesn't mean you have the right to ban that speech. You may punch them in the face, but actions have consequences.

This give/take is essential for freedom. We must tolerate things we don't like, but don't harm anyone, in return for them tolerating things we do, but the don't like.

If you're next response is binary again, we will not be able to find common ground to discuss and should just drop it.
SquanchyAg
agz win said:

how long is your commute?
FHKChE07
AG
20 minutes, of course.
First Page Last Page
Page 590 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.