Houston
Sponsored by

Tine Coronavirus thread

2,496,601 Views | 20959 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ciboag96
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I very well may be wrong. I'm remembered a story I saw on KPRC days ago, when they first announced they were doing the drive-through testing in Harris County. I haven't followed it closely enough to know if things have changed.

However, there is a post over on the coronavirus board by someone who is asking how his brother can get a test in Houston. Evidently, despite having symptoms, he keeps getting denied.
Zobel
AG
The worldwide numbers are around ~15% positives I think. But really don't know how tests compare in accuracy country to country.

Lots of anecdotes in China about people testing negative several times but obviously having it.

My bigger concern is even if you have a 10% rate, there's certainly people who might have it who can't confirm. Right now it doesn't matter much, cuz almost everyone is staying home anyway, but we need to get this fixed. Especially if there's minor cases contributing to the spread.
Ag_07
AG
Well you're not supposed to be congregating in a group so...
SpringAg92
Friend sent me a text that 10 more cases were confirmed in Montgomery County - now at 41. The Spring area has logged the most cases. She didn't say how many.
TXTransplant
SpringAg92 said:

Friend sent me a text that 10 more cases were confirmed in Montgomery County - now at 41. The Spring area has logged the most cases. She didn't say how many.

I'm in that area, and it's hard to tell. When Montgomery Co reports their cases, I think "South Montgomery County" is code for The Woodlands/Spring. But Harris County is too big to narrow it down. Northwest Harris County could be anywhere from Spring (where I am) to Tomball to Cypress.
MOCO9
AG
TXTransplant said:

SpringAg92 said:

I'm in that area, and it's hard to tell. When Montgomery Co reports their cases, I think "South Montgomery County" is code for The Woodlands/Spring. But Harris County is too big to narrow it down. Northwest Harris County could be anywhere from Spring (where I am) to Tomball to Cypress.

South county is The Woodlands and Spring. Basically
Anything south of Conroe.
TXTransplant
MOCO9 said:

TXTransplant said:

SpringAg92 said:

South county is The Woodlands and Spring. Basically
Anything south of Conroe.

Yes, when MoCo reports "south county", I know it's The Woodlands. It's the Harris Co reporting that I have a harder time pinpointing.
Itz_an_86ag
AG
Hopefully this link works. You can search for cases by zip code in Montgomery County.

https://coronavirus-response-moco.hub.arcgis.com/

98Ag99Grad
AG
Speaking of Montgomery Co, anyone ever hear what happened to the first case, cop who went to the cookoff but wouldn't cooperate? Did he recover?
TXTransplant
98Ag99Grad said:

Speaking of Montgomery Co, anyone ever hear what happened to the first case, cop who went to the cookoff but wouldn't cooperate? Did he recover?
Still in the hospital, according to the KHOU map.
IrishTxAggie
AG
TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Probably safer there. His soon to be ex-wife may be trying to kill him.
TXTransplant
Itz_an_86ag said:

Hopefully this link works. You can search for cases by zip code in Montgomery County.

https://coronavirus-response-moco.hub.arcgis.com/

Thanks for that link. Looks like there at least 17 cases in The Woodlands, when I sort by zip code.
98Ag99Grad
AG
TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

wow that's at least 2 weeks huh? Guy must have pneumonia.
TXTransplant
If you sort the KHOU map by county and pull up only the Montgomery County cases, the zip codes are now given next to each case.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/houston-area-coronavirus-cases/285-192b8879-08b6-4ec0-8a0f-a0487ead1453
TXTransplant
98Ag99Grad said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

He was in a coma last time the news reported on his case.
IrishTxAggie
AG
So, how many of your Karens are already asking for the WFH to be permanent after this?
Zobel
AG
/raises hand slowly
AgLiving06
k2aggie07 said:

The worldwide numbers are around ~15% positives I think. But really don't know how tests compare in accuracy country to country.

Lots of anecdotes in China about people testing negative several times but obviously having it.

My bigger concern is even if you have a 10% rate, there's certainly people who might have it who can't confirm. Right now it doesn't matter much, cuz almost everyone is staying home anyway, but we need to get this fixed. Especially if there's minor cases contributing to the spread.

I'm not basing the 15% off the world. I think Dr. Birx or VP Pence used that today (+/- 1-2%).
Zobel
AG
Yah but it's the same in every country. Lots of flu-like respiratory illnesses out there. And it's good. The lower your positive rate, the more likely you're not missing anything.
AgLiving06
IrishTxAggie said:

So, how many of your Karens are already asking for the WFH to be permanent after this?

My kids start back at early child care on Monday. Gonna be a lot quieter in the house those days.
HouAggie2007
I already worked from home occasionally but there really is no reason most people couldn't do m/f wfh and T-th office or something similar
IrishTxAggie
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

I already worked from home occasionally but there really is no reason most people couldn't do m/f wfh and T-th office or something similar

I've worked from home for over seven years ago. It's very doable. Problem is trusting people not to **** around all day....like me.
CoachRTM
AG
Honestly, my productivity is going up working from home.

But I don't have kids, so that's a big caveat.
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

MoCo OEM site says he is critical but stable and improving.
redag06
IrishTxAggie said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

What's the story here ?
IrishTxAggie
AG
redag06 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

What's the story here ?

Married cop went to cookoff to meet up with his sidepiece and they both got the COVID. He was tight lipped and didn't cooperate because it would've exposed him as having an affair. All it did was delay the inevitable.
mm98
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Not me.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

redag06 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

What's the story here ?

Married cop went to cookoff to meet up with his sidepiece and they both got the COVID. He was tight lipped and didn't cooperate because it would've exposed him as having an affair. All it did was delay the inevitable.

So kinda the plot line from Contagion.
Azariah
AG
Is there one of those handy dandy zip code thingamabobs for Harris County?
TXTransplant
Azariah said:

Is there one of those handy dandy zip code thingamabobs for Harris County?

Not that I've found. Maybe they will take the hint.

Here's a map showing the four quadrants that the county is divided into. It's not particularly helpful.

http://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Portals/27/Documents/Resources/2019%20nCoV/COVIDQuadrants.pdf?ver=2020-03-23-111926-690
TXTransplant
Bregxit said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

TXTransplant said:

98Ag99Grad said:

MoCo OEM site says he is critical but stable and improving.

That's good to know. I haven't heard or seen anything about his status on the local news in probably at least a week.
TexasAggie81
I had a follow-up doctor's appointment yesterday. My doctor, who is AMAZING, looked and was absolutely exhausted. He's been working 7:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. It's been that busy with patients he HAS to see in the office [My appointment was a tele-appointment similar to FaceTime] and with collaborative consultations with other health care providers. The last thing we discussed was how things look in the metro Houston / Harris County area in the immediate future. He told me that Houston COVID-19 cases will probably peak in mid-April IF the current semi-lockdown continues and social distancing is observed (and only slightly earlier if people strictly adhere to the "no more than ___ people congregated in one place" recommendations). He also said it might be at least six weeks before we see any noticeable difference in how our lives are conducted. Bottom line? Get ready for more of the same for a long while.
IrishTxAggie
AG
There will be anarchy in the streets if Lina tries to run it out that long. Small businesses can't survive out that long. Hell, many won't survive this
gougler08
AG
Agreed, especially with Abbott saying we have 100 hospitalized in the state right now

We don't have to fully open things like sporting events, concerts, etc. but we have to have some normalcy back soon
jh0400
AG
I've yet to see any data that leads me to believe that the virus will be under control before Memorial Day. Depending on who you believe, it could be six more weeks of this or six months. My company is currently planning as if these conditions persist through the end of the year.

Edit to add: I'm not sure how you have a partial return to normalcy without introducing the risk of further exponential growth in cases. This is a long tail problem, and our course will likely be dictated by what happens in more densely populated areas like NYC in the coming days and weeks.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 599

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.